Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My First Permagrin !
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’ve been stripping the inner wheel barrels to possibly repaint them and this is what is under the satin paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi everyone I’ve been stripping the inner wheel barrels to possibly repaint them and this is what is under the satin paint.
If you have no pitting or corrosion and you haven't already started painting, try some autosol or a rouge wheel and see what happens. I agonized for awhile until deciding on POR15 paint.:smile2:

·
My First Permagrin !
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have no pitting or corrosion and you haven't already started painting, try some autosol or a rouge wheel and see what happens. I agonized for awhile until deciding on POR15 paint.:smile2:

i tried to polish them and the finish didnt shine up like i was hoping,so for now im going to just live with it and make a decision later . Dave

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,499 Posts
Looks good to me---for the inside!!!

Nick

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a friend a few years back who had a 55 red chevy gasser, he found a paint that he called color clear. He did the chrome face of the American mags and the chrome trim, the chrome and the stainless showed through the red color. It looked AWESOME. Clivey

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
take a look at the "inside", "web", if you would, of each spoke. If there is chrome all over everywhere, it is probably Not an OEM wheel. If there is an area at the "inside" of each web that looks to be sand blasted, every OEM I've seen looks that way. If you try to polish out the "machined grooves" on the inside, you'll probably go right through the chrome plating. It's going to look crappy until you can reach the bottom of the grooves and Actually start polishing the rim itself to a mirror Finish. You're probably gonna need a Bigger Lathe to do 4 of them. But, on the Bright side.... you'll be out of the Wife's way All Winter in your heated garage, eh....

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,119 Posts
Hey Red......

I stripped the paint off my OEM chrome wheels about 6 or 8 years ago. The chromed inner barrel with its machined surface has been easy to keep clean and always looks good.

I would recommend you just strip the paint off using non-scratching brushes and some MEK...... You can also strip off an area by placing an MEK soaked paper towel on it for a few minutes..... I know it’s a lot of work, but I like mine.....

Mike

·
My First Permagrin !
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Red......

I stripped the paint off my OEM chrome wheels about 6 or 8 years ago. The chromed inner barrel with its machined surface has been easy to keep clean and always looks good.

I would recommend you just strip the paint off using non-scratching brushes and some MEK...... You can also strip off an area by placing an MEK soaked paper towel on it for a few minutes..... I know it’s a lot of work, but I like mine.....

Mike
Hi Mike
i used lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool and a scrapper .
i have 3 wheels done and i figured just live with it for now.
i never liked the satin paint and i can always paint them later on . Dave

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,119 Posts
Hi Mike
i used lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool and a scrapper .
i have 3 wheels done and i figured just live with it for now.
i never liked the satin paint and i can always paint them later on . Dave
Rock on....... you will like the results when the wheels are mounted.....

Mike

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
I did this

I did this several years ago, Used "Air Plane grade aluminum striper" to remove that BUT ugly paint. :frown2: What I found was a bright aluminum finish :surprise:that I buff polisher to a beautiful bright shine. Just maintained with aluminum polish a few times a year. :grin2: Sorry don't have and photos

ps: PAINT!!!! You don't need NO STINKING PAINT"

"Long may we all run"

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
On the 14P there is chrome under there - not sure about the 96P - pretty sure probably chrome as well
I keep mine clean but when I had new tires installed the installer could not help but lift some of the finish off when the weights were changed
Such a huge job to lift and take all 4 off, but would like to strip the inside of them one day - wish I had done it when I painted my callipers.

Multi-task - just like Mike's undercarriage stuff - if you are doing one thing, do them all!
It is less painless that way - possibly not on the wallet though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts