Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their aluminum wheels for a different look without buying new wheels? I have a black 2005 and I'm trying using electrical tape to get a view of different blacked out looks on my stock wheels?

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
Has anyone painted their aluminum wheels for a different look without buying new wheels? I have a black 2005 and I'm trying using electrical tape to get a view of different blacked out looks on my stock wheels?
What part are painting, The inside or the whole wheel. I painted the inside and small slots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
I did the whole wheel Smokin' Asphalt.

I really like the black on black on black on black on black ad nauseam.

The spear and hood cap are black.

The door and tailgate handles are black.

All of the interior parts are black. Steering wheel, door handles, shift plate, front spear, speedometer bezel and seat hoops loops black.

All of bed black. Cross bow and bed strips black.

Running boards and wheels are black. I like the black wheels with it. It makes it look sinister.

Sometimes I get bored and switch to chrome or satin on the front grill and wheels.

I like the total black very much. But I do get bored.

Dave

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,738 Posts
This is my '03 Blacked Out....the wheels have been powder coated Satin Black, which is in between Gloss and Flat Black. I have also have had the spear, hood emblem, and the bow ties front and back painted gloss black to match the rest of the truck. I find this concept is not popular among SSR Enthusiast's, but I like it. Myself I only like black/blacked out wheels on Black Vehicles...

Attachments

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
04 In Louisiana

I stripped away that BUTT UGLY gray paint GM put on the inside section of my "Silver Satin" rims and found a polished aluminum surface. It does have the machining groves but it is a much brighter finish that that "What the hell were they thinking" gray. Sorry no photos.

Note: Used an "Aircraft Aluminum" paint stripper. This did take me several hours per wheel but I'm happy with the look.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
GORDY !!! "Aten hut" the key to your post is "BUT I LIKE IT" Bubba it's your SSR and that's all that counts. I got a 55 Chevy Trunk emblem on my tailgate and chrome C H E V R O L E T emblems from a 49 Chevy on each side of my hood and a front splitter (a pain in the buttocks) on my "little red truck" Bottom line Gordy ... it's your "pick up truck" build it the way YOU like it. That's just the AMERICAN way son !!! Bob Alexander :ssr

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SWT RYD, yours are kind of what I had in mind. I might black out the center cap except for the Chevy bowtie. I've experimented with black electrical tape to get an idea. Did you paint yours or have it professionally done?
Thanks,
Bob

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
Here are mine with the back painted to match body color on chrome wheels and red caliper covers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
SWT RYD, yours are kind of what I had in mind. I might black out the center cap except for the Chevy bowtie. I've experimented with black electrical tape to get an idea. Did you paint yours or have it professionally done?
Thanks,
Bob
I did it myself. The biggest problem was painting the inside of the spokes. If you want to PM me I will be glad to tell you what my process was.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,738 Posts
Thanks,
Bob
I painted and clear coated the bow ties and the door handles myself, the rest I took the parts in to a body shop and had them painted when they were doing another black. The wheels are powder coated, thought they would stand up better than paint as this is my driver.

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
Here are mine with the back painted to match body color on chrome wheels and red caliper covers.
Now that looks good "eigguA eiggoD !!! Just havin' fun Auggie Doggie, please don't get ill. Headed to Donelson & Madison (Nashville) to pick up Grand Children at 3 !!! Will be back on the web site after 3:15 or 3:20. Bob :ssr

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
While you have your wheels off, if you don't already have semi-metallic brake pads I would change him at that time. After they're painted brake dust will show up a lot quicker and be noticeable. I take mine off once a year and clean them and put a coating that McKees sells for that purpose

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I blacked out the center caps on mine. I find it gives just a little visual depth to the silver wheels without getting too involved in serious painting.

That said, all the pics above sure look nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts