Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the grill bars on my SSR silver to match the trim piece in front. I saw a few people already did this. Any info on what color/shade silver looks best to match? Did you have to repaint the hood trim too?
Dave

·
Registered
395 Posts
grille bars

Check with Axiom, they are coming out with a set of grille bars that are easily removeable when you want to change the look. Also they were trying to come up with a paint match for the OEM parts.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Try tape first

DavesSSR said:
I want to paint the grill bars on my SSR silver to match the trim piece in front. I saw a few people already did this. Any info on what color/shade silver looks best to match? Did you have to repaint the hood trim too?
Dave
You might want to try using a grey tape first to see how you like the results. Doug & Marla/ RadicalSSR did that with their slingshot SSR and everyone at the Woodward Dream Cruise thought they had painted it but Doug said he wanted to try it out first by using tape. BTW I thought it looked great! :yesnod

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Marc NY said:
You might want to try using a grey tape first to see how you like the results. Ken/ RadicalSSR did that with his slingshot SSR and everyone at the Woodward Dream Cruise thought he painted his but he said he wanted to try it out first by using tape. BTW I thought it looked great.

DANG! Who woulda thunk that tape could look that good!

G

·
0 Posts
Bill Scott said:
Check with Axiom, they are coming out with a set of grille bars that are easily removeable when you want to change the look. Also they were trying to come up with a paint match for the OEM parts.
Kewl, I'll have to look into that~

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
chrome paint

I have 4 oz. of the Mira chrome and have done a few tests.
It is touchy to use and the prep work must be perfect as it magnifies all defects.
It looks exactly like chrome before you clear coat it.
The clear seems to dull it some (more grainy)
The site http://alsacorp.com/chrome.htm
I will probably use this on mine after more tests on sign blanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Second that :)

The alsacorp paint is the closest match, and as you stated -very technical to use. Qualified painters stated the same, if you don't get it perfect, it may bum you out.

What we found also is that the paint itself is quite expensive. Our painter chose to use a silver fine metalic instead and reshot all of our pieces, and carried it into our Side Cooling Vents as well.

It is a kind of paint that allows you to alter its appearance from a ghost chrome to a solid chrome depending on the look your going for. And since we all know how creative REBEL is ..... Im sure we'll see some cool results with his! :) :)

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Kissy Kissy

Axiom you smooth talker you. One of the tricks being used with this stuff is to spin the "cleared black base", like you would when doing gold leaf engine turning. Then when you shoot the Chrome paint the pattern comes through and that hides many flaws and gives it a organic feel. Catches the light like diamond fashets (sp) I wish we all lived in the same back yard with a "club SSR to mule out."

·
Registered
322 Posts
Grille Shots

REBEL... :) Exactly what I was saying!! :) This paint is designed for the custom painter who is able to manipulate the final effects. I have no doubt you will be able to use your honed talents to provide a sweet custom outcome with this particular paint!! :) So once you master this paint, grab these grille pieces and go for it!!! :cool On your black, they would look sweet!

but for the rest of those who are not familiar with this process, or the behind the scene techniques..............

Our grille pieces can be painted by your local painter, in any accent color/plating of choice and simply put onto the front of your existing fascia and removed if you want to trade in at a later date as "stock".

These pieces were designed to match the top bar shape and provide a more "proud" effect (the OEM grille seems muted into the OEM fascia) Also in the event that one chose to add the custom fascia, you can take the grille pieces off the stock fascia and add them to your new fascia.

And to add....if you chose to go with our custom fascia (simple replacement), you can retain your original fascia to reinstall upon trade in if you wanted. The fascia is a simple bolt on item. No alterations.

I have attached photos of the Grille Set in silver and in blue, which by the way, is running at a discount of 20% for a New Year Promotion ;) Probably the best sale we'll have this year.....

REBEL.....get to work!!! You've got us excited to see what your plans are!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Grille Bars

AXIOM
So what's the bottom line, did you come up with a good match to the OEM grille ? Also on your web site you show all four bars with the kit, is this what you are doing to get a match or is this just for a visual representation. Please help me out I'm CONFUSED --- almost forgot $$$$$
THANKS
BILL :confused

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bill

Hey there!! Happy New Year!!

The OEM piece is shown as representitive to the additional 3. :) The plating arrangement can be done, although that process would require a core, and shipping. Pricing hasn't been settled with any particular vendor thru us because....

In our research, we didn't find that it would be economical for our clients to go thru the back and forth shipping. We found that the new processes available, are now standard with most local platers everywhere- the aftermarket has really allowed platers to be more creative and accessable to the general public for small jobs.

you can go to your local plater, with your OEM piece and it is cheaper than to ship and plate (eliminates shipping/core costs). Most platers can do some very cool stuff, matching, overlays, color tones, marbles, you name it.

Since these pieces are small and simple, most any of them can do them quite quickly and you get then in your hand with less hassle. This also provides you with the option to see what they have available in terms of custom looks, and you can work directly with them to assure you are a closely involved with your new look! you may find they offer something you hadn't thought of - and may give you a new creative idea instead of the OEM finish.

On that note: If we find that you all would really like us to take charge of the plating, we would need to have more interest in that particular finish. Currently, those who have already purchased these grilles, did so with the intent to change the finishes altogether. Solid colors, and other customs instead. :cool

This may be a good time for you to grab them, as we are running the 20% discount, which will provide you with the extra wiggle room for the plating cost :)

Hope this helps!! Thanks for the questions!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have some questions on your grille bars.
1- What are they made of?
2- How are they held in place?
3- Do they fit so you hardly realize they're on add on part?
4- The dealer I bought mine from drilled the holes for the front license plate, so your grille bars will fix that problem, and I llike the look of all of them silver matching the factory top one. Will you have them for sale the same color as the one stock silver one? How much is a set of three matching silver, and set of three colored redline red.
5- Can you give me a phone number where I can call during the day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very GOOD Questions

jrevet said:
I have some questions on your grille bars.
1- What are they made of?
2- How are they held in place?
3- Do they fit so you hardly realize they're on add on part?
4- The dealer I bought mine from drilled the holes for the front license plate, so your grille bars will fix that problem, and I llike the look of all of them silver matching the factory top one. Will you have them for sale the same color as the one stock silver one? How much is a set of three matching silver, and set of three colored redline red.
5- Can you give me a phone number where I can call during the day.
A. 1. HiTemp Epoxy Fiberglass and arrive in white base gelcoat finish ready for prep/paint
A. 2. Automotive Double Stick Tape, Adhesives, Industrial Velcro and a few other options.....all of which are designed to be removed. (We send a list of the preferred branded products to use, with your purchase)
A. 3. They are caps There is a recess that allows them to fit right inside the grille, meeting face flush, and matching the depth of the original grille bars to blend and appear original. Very simple to do in about 10 minutes. They weigh nearly nothing, which is great for shipping :) (can barely feel any weight in your hand)
A. 4. Exactly why most owners have bought them. The plate holes have been drilled. :( Silly Dealers!!
4.a. the information in regards to colors at this time is in this thead - In the event that we are able to gather enough particularly "Silver" or "Red" orders at once.......we may be able to consider providing them painted by ADS at an additional cost.
As stated earlier in this thread.....most have wanted to do their own painting or are having them custom painted/plated. There are many good automotive paints at the local auto stores that you can do at home with a very nice result, and save a few pennies :)

A. 5. Our phone number is located in our site at: ADS, Inc.
I will PM to you.

Thanks for the great questions, I hope I provided some helpful answers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts