Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy some used running boards and have them painted to match the slingshot. My question concerns the rubber on the boards. Can it be removed easily and re-attached? Should I expect to buy new rubber?
I am VERY picky and am concerned that masking the rubber will leave evidence that they have been painted.
I have an excellent painter to do the job but he can't advise until he sees the boards.
I know I would not be happy unless they looked "showroom"
Anyone out there had them painted?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
From what I understand the plastic is held down with double sided tape. They sell the running boards in ebay all the time that are ready to paint and cheap. The sets that sell on ebay dont have the plastic stuck to them yet either so it will save the chance of stretching the plastic when removing it.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Greyfox,

Do a search for other threads about aftermarket runnng boards. My last post on the subject was yesterday. Others have had issues with the quality of the aftermarket boards, and I posted the same concern yesterday. I also indicated that for $125/pair I shouldn't have expected anything better.

The set I got are unpainted, with the rubber not mounted. The rubber looks OK, but a bit shinier and smoother than the product on the stock boards. The biggest issue is with the quality of the mounting hardware, and the lack of a reinforcement strip in them.

They look to be a good match as far as appearance, but I haven't attempted to install them yet, and have some concerns about how well they will hold (assuming the holes match) because they are supplied with some studs that are intended to slip into a hole in the running board, then tighten up as they are forced to expand by the bolt.

I'm assuming the stock bolts will fit the studs, and that the studs will be tight enough in the raw plastic that they will allow the bolts to come out at a later date.

I would make sure to use an anti seize of some kind on them, so that the boards could be removed after a couple of years on the truck. I'm concerned that the studs will turn with the bolts, and that the boards will need to be trashed in order to be able to reuse the brackets.

The alternative would be to remove the rubber from the original boards, and get the correct width and thickness of 3M two sided mounting tape to reinstall them. I had originally planned to do that, but decided to leave the satin boards in their original condition, and get a second set to paint.

Ray

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
It all depends on your painter. I had mine color matched and my painter taped the rubber and they came out perfect. They were painted about a year ago and have held up very well.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New Rubber

Thanks for the replys. In the event I have to replace the rubber does anyone know the cost?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Had mine painted in GM body shop by painter friend. He removed the boards from the SSR, did not removed the rubber, painted the exposed area and reinstalled. Looks perfect and not a big deal. In fact I had him paint the door handle to match. Never did like those chrome handles. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts