Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BLU SSR
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to a car show about 15 miles from home and decided to display Little Red with the top in mid-action as a few fellow fanatics have mentioned , sounded like a good idea since I have never had problems with either SSR roof. All went well , stopped roof after it had moved about 6-8 inches from header -- left it like that for rest of show (3 hours). Looked great,lots of interest , WON FIRST IN CLASS! Happy Happy - gathered up our stuff started R , hit roof close NOTHING , Shut off - started tried again - Nothing! PANIC. Shut down again , made sure everything closed , foot on brake and no joy but did get DIC message to manually open cover. WHAT? - IT IS OPEN , CAN'T YOU TELL? Got out to look things over and noticed the small flapper was not tight against and inline with the large cover , so had the wife get on the other side and we GENTLY lifted it flush , she held it in place while I tried again and it took off like it always does. MUCH JOY! Thanked my lucky stars and left only slightly embarrassed .
My question is has this happened to anyone else and does it indicate a problem in the making ? I suspect that the length of time I left it like that allowed the fluid to bleed down and thus let the flap get out of position and "brains" said don't move till things are in right position. Don't want to keep lifting this in place whenever I try to clean , lubricate or work in roof storage area. Looking for advice from those smarter than I about the roof operation (which is just about everyone!)

Going to another show tomorrow - probably top up - :wink2: :blur: :ssr

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Went to a car show about 15 miles from home and decided to display Little Red with the top in mid-action as a few fellow fanatics have mentioned , sounded like a good idea since I have never had problems with either SSR roof. All went well , stopped roof after it had moved about 6-8 inches from header -- left it like that for rest of show (3 hours). Looked great,lots of interest , WON FIRST IN CLASS! Happy Happy - gathered up our stuff started R , hit roof close NOTHING , Shut off - started tried again - Nothing! PANIC. Shut down again , made sure everything closed , foot on brake and no joy but did get DIC message to manually open cover. WHAT? - IT IS OPEN , CAN'T YOU TELL? Got out to look things over and noticed the small flapper was not tight against and inline with the large cover , so had the wife get on the other side and we GENTLY lifted it flush , she held it in place while I tried again and it took off like it always does. MUCH JOY! Thanked my lucky stars and left only slightly embarrassed .
My question is has this happened to anyone else and does it indicate a problem in the making ? I suspect that the length of time I left it like that allowed the fluid to bleed down and thus let the flap get out of position and "brains" said don't move till things are in right position. Don't want to keep lifting this in place whenever I try to clean , lubricate or wok in roof storage area. Looking for advice from those smarter than I about the roof operation (which is just about everyone!)

Yes, it happens! The hydraulic fluid displaces, the flags misalign and the top is no longer aware of its location. Your summation of events is accurate. This is just something to be aware of when you choose to display the top in this manner.

David :blur:

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
Jim & Lois, YES !!! it happened to Jan & I over at Stewart/Haas Race Shop a few years ago when they hosted HOT RODS at the RACE SHOP. Put the top half up/half down but ... left the key on and it ran the battery down. Tony had the shop guys out there changin' all the fuses. Finally jumped it off and the top still wouldn't move. After about 15 minutes, with the motor runnin' all of a sudden the top went down. I drove "her" a little bit and stopped and activated the top and "she" went right up and locked in ... what a relief !!! No more "showin" off ... it's either top up or top down, none of this half way stuff anymore for us !!! Went from :frown2: :frown2: :frown2: to :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: Bob & Jan tennesseecozydog :ssr

CONGRATULATIONS on getting 1st Place in "our" SSR class !!! (Trucks 1994 - 2004 All and Trucks 2005 Up per the Wilson County Fair Flier I received this week) Bob

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,311 Posts
My question is has this happened to anyone else and does it indicate a problem in the making ? I suspect that the length of time I left it like that allowed the fluid to bleed down and thus let the flap get out of position and "brains" said don't move till things are in right position. Don't want to keep lifting this in place whenever I try to clean , lubricate or work in roof storage area. Looking for advice from those smarter than I about the roof operation (which is just about everyone!)

No, this is not a problem in the making....... I’ve had it happen here while working on someone’s roof and the hydraulics leaked down and the panels got out of position. When the key is off, the solenoids in the pump manifold relax.

I believe you had the Hall effect sensor in the small “flipper panel” out of position for the sequencing of roof movement. The roof movement logic calls for the sensors in both the cover and flipper panel actuators to be in the “fully extended” position in order to allow the pump to run and move the top. You just have to realize your limitations and be prepared to move the lid or flipper panel manually to get them back in position for everything to run right.

Congrats on your trophy.

Mike

·
BLU SSR
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to confirm my guess and calm my fears , having experts like you makes enjoying our trucks possible ! As the wife says , every day is a new adventure when you own an SSR ! Now it's off to another show and another less stressful adventure - I hope . :grin2:

Robert,
I don't know the actual class description because they assigned the class at registration , we were grouped by years and of course car , truck , cycle etc. but only year sign I saw was 2010 and up which is where the parking guy directed us when we got to the truck area . Told him it's not that new , he looked like he didn't believe me but directed me toward a shady area! :wink2:

David,
Thanks for the quick response - helped me get a good nights sleep !

Bob,
Helps to know someone else had similar problems , (misery loves company) but at least you were at a pretty good place for help , I felt kind of alone!

:blur: :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,164 Posts
No, this is not a problem in the making....... I’ve had it happen here while working on someone’s roof and the hydraulics leaked down and the panels got out of position. When the key is off, the solenoids in the pump manifold relax.

I believe you had the Hall effect sensor in the small “flipper panel” out of position for the sequencing of roof movement. The roof movement logic calls for the sensors in both the cover and flipper panel actuators to be in the “fully extended” position in order to allow the pump to run and move the top. You just have to realize your limitations and be prepared to move the lid or flipper panel manually to get them back in position for everything to run right.

Congrats on your trophy.

Mike
Yes, Mike, based on what little I know about roof. Each cycle is timed/monitored by RDM and position determines if roof will cycle or is out of sequence, i.e.. HES/Hall switches which determine what position the cylinder is in. HES switch/sensor in magnet with current that sends reading to RDM. Voltage wrong, roof won't move.

Don't panic, manually move roof until RDM determines it is back in sequence.
Pump relieves hydraulic operating pressure about 30 to 45 seconds after pump is stopped. This was designed to take pressure off system while driving or sitting.

Lot more information on Roof on SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,928 Posts
When I show, I like to leave the flapper doors open with the top fully retracted. Everyone can look inside to see the workings of it all. I do have to remember to open the tailgate for access to cooler, chairs,etc...before setting the top.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,885 Posts
I do have to remember to open the tailgate for access to cooler, chairs,etc...before setting the top.
Ha! Be careful!! I did that at a Tech day, Bed cover closed tailgate open, working on my top. I went to my tool box in the bed and a NEWBIE, thinking he would help, PULL the release cable. Mikes Struts, did their thing, popped my cover up!! Thankfully somehow no damage!?!

Nick

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,311 Posts
Ha! Be careful!! I did that at a Tech day, Bed cover closed tailgate open, working on my top. I went to my tool box in the bed and a NEWBIE, thinking he would help, PULL the release cable. Mikes Struts, did their thing, popped my cover up!! Thankfully somehow no damage!?!

Nick
Hey Nick..... Don't be too tough on the helpful newbie. I did exactly the same thing, myself, about 8 years ago - - except - - I saw my error in a heartbeat and caught the lid as it was headed for the impact. Stopped it just in time. I'm sure that my reaction time is not that good any more, so I have to be extra careful....

Nice to see that I'm not alone......

Regards,

Mike

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Glad you figured it out with no injury or damage. I've been there and done that too. Classes at shows are arbitrary at best. Sometimes you are competing with every truck from 1990 on,others just against your own brand. Congrats on the trophy!:cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts