Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just back from a trip up town, for some 79U paint. I was 55 M.P.H. following a box trailer, that was big enough not to be able to see what was pulling it. Checked my mirror and then back to the road ahead of me, when this trailer was stopping with no brake lights. Panic stop! … I'm Very impressed with the results. Luckily no one behind me at the time. My last new vehicle was in 88 and then my wife’s PT. So I think theses brakes are awesome. :thumbs

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Rebel,

Funny you mentioned this today, yesterday I was cruising down a two lane street about 45 MPH when all of a sudden two kids came out into the road in a golf cart.

They hit their brakes (dumb move!) and so did I. Like you said, I was really impressed how fast I came to a stop. Scared the kids, but was never less than 15 feet away from them!

Awsome brakes!

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Me Too

Was doing about 55 up the grapevine with ~3000# in tow and loaded in the back of the SSR. An 18 wheeler doing about 15 decides to pass another doing even less. Of course I'm limited to the right two lanes. He changes lanes as in whips it out there right in from of me. Stood on the binders and didn't even get close. If I was in my 'old' truck I would have had a stained seat at a minimum!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
I'm used to driving a cargo work van loaded up. The first time I hit the brakes hard on the SSR I was shocked at how fast it stopped. Half the distance of the van.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Going over "Blood Alley" (6 lanes onr a hill) in commute hour when a white SUV made a six lane instant right turn.....EVERYONE hit they're brakes, but it was really close... I made it (thanks to my SSR) then it was rear mirror time to see if i was completely lucky this time... Everyone just made it (ME TOO) but it sure was a wakeup call!!!
By the way, a motor bike cop (C.H.P.) saw her (had to be a girl, right? lol..lol..) and pulled her over!!! Justice was quick!!

Just kidding about the girl thing.....lol.

Steve

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Same thing happened yesterday, driving about 55-60 going to Ft. Worth, in the right lane and some dummy in a F**d decided he needed to be in my lane to exit, that was fine he moved over but then the 3 cars in front of him decided to hit the brakes just as he got in his lane, had to stomp the brakes and I stopped just fine, could feel the brakes locking up. Wheeewww that was a close one.

andno bashing from me, I think most women can't drive either. :) with the exception of The SSR Babes and The SSR Ladies (ssr owners wives). When I am driving and stupid drivers do stupid things Male or Female believe me they wouldn't want to hear what I have to say about them. :)

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Certainly are glad that you all had such great reports. A year ago when I had my first SSR Redline Red #5053, I was traveling at 70mph when a pickup decided to pull onto the two lane highway. I saw him and immediately hit the brakes. The rear locked up and started to come around. He saw me and stopped in the lane opposite me. This gave me a chance to jump off the pedal and the SSR straightened up. Definitely would have hit him if he had not seen me at the last instant. No applause here for the SSR braking. It should have never locked up!!!!

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

03 did not lock up and she stoped straight. Did not know so many Panic stops are going on. Guess we all have been lucky. I purchased a Z wax kit from a guy up here in Ontario. That leather in a bottle smells goooood.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
There's a reason the braking performace of the SSR is so good. I ocver it at length in my book, in chapter 2, but the short version is that the brakes on the Trailblazer EXT were not downgraded when the SSR staretd using the same chassis, and those brakes had to handle the 4800 lb. EXT plus potentially up to a 7000 lb. trailer (the Tralblazer does NOT have the 2500 lb limitation on the SSR caused by the cooling issue), or 12,000 lb.

The brakes should work really well with only the vehicle (4725 lb approx) plus you, or maybe a total of 4900 lb.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Hard to Believe

I read all of this thread and it is hard to belive that everyone except Zainossr seems to drive their SSR's around 55mph. How do you do that??

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
JOHN317 said:
I read all of this thread and it is hard to belive that everyone except Zainossr seems to drive their SSR's around 55mph. How do you do that??
My SSR likes to run at 80 to 85...... I let her have her way for the first year of ownership then I got a 77 in a 65 (I was slowing down from a 97mph. burst of joy) yellow slip personally handed to me by a plain white Firebird C.H.P I happen to come up behind.... I try to slow down now, but it's REALLY tough.....My wife reminds me about this situation........... regularly.... :nono

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
A CHiPPie in a Firebird??

SSR-Club.com said:
My SSR likes to run at 80 to 85...... I let her have her way for the first year of ownership then I got a 77 in a 65 (I was slowing down from a 97mph. burst of joy) yellow slip personally handed to me by a plain white Firebird C.H.P I happen to come up behind.... I try to slow down now, but it's REALLY tough.....My wife reminds me about this situation........... regularly.... :nono

They drive z-28's up in my neck of the woods for their "dress whites".

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Maybe the Panic braking is more probable in high traffic areas, which is a slower speed need. I have taken curves at 140km and the proof is in my wife’s voice. :yawn
Today is 74F and low humidity … I’m off to the shop for the day, to paint a little something on the backend of the Roadster. Hope it turns out, no time for muck ups before MICHIGAN….. still no invite for this foreigner yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Radar sux

SSR-Club.com said:
I think it's time for a radar detector. I got one to find out where they might be.
They can hide in the trees around here. :cool

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Rebl: Abotu the invite: I just receivd mine yesterday afternoon. They appear to be coming out in batches.

An SSR Homecoming without Rebel would REALLY be missing something! :)

Jim G

·
Registered
407 Posts
The first time someone posted that the SSR brakes were what they liked best about the car got whomped by mostly everyone for even bringing up the issue. Now that we have all had an experience where we appreciate our stopping power it is interesting that no one is laughing!

I had an experience last week going over a bridge and had to stop very short. My concern then was the guy behind me and my heart was in my throat until he stopped about an inch behind me! I saw the fear in his eyes cause he didn't want to hit such a beeeuuuutttiiifffuuulllll truck!

and darn i hafta sign up for Jim's book!

·
Premium Member
31,258 Posts
Anybody got problems with pulling? It's weird, but mine will pull either left or right at times when going hard on the brakes. It's not consistent, so I can't yet claim that there's a fault in the brakes. At first I thought maybe the dealer's icky tire spray stuff got on the rotors. I think at 1600+ miles that anything would have been burned away. The only other thought was that the tires are so grabby that any changes in the road surface from side to side in the lane could be enough to cause the difference.

Any other possibilities?

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

. :lol :lol :lol No Jim G. :lol I was not going to bring Mom, if I was invited. ;) Back to the shop ... more fumes please. :leaving

1 - 20 of 21 Posts