Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK.. Let me be frank. This is a rant.

I am shocked by some of the pricing for used parts on this forum. I thought we were all here to help each other and keep our trucks on the road. But sadly, it appears that some people here have a different motive in mind. The almighty dollar. Why do some have to ask stupid money for parts here?? If you want to sell a part or two here, do it because you want to help out your brothers and price it accordingly. If you're greedy and want to make a big profit, go to ebay. This is a place help each other. Not rape and pillage. Just my $.02

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,380 Posts
I understand your rant, but market price is market price no matter where you offer your goods.
Things to consider -

1. Not everyone that posts here are "family" although I do feel many of us are. In my offers to repair parts at near the cost of parts only as a service to the "family" and those in need, I often get requests from people that have 1 post. They are lurkers or last posted 7 years ago. They come here just to take advantage of the repair savings, give no thanks, and move on, never to be heard from again. Sorry, but just because you own an R does not make you "family" in my book. Maybe it is too harsh but sometimes that is the way I feel. You don't need to post every day, week or month, but contribute now and then and be a part of the community.

2. On the subject of lurkers. This is an open forum, anyone can ask things, sell things and buy things. If all prices are give away compared to other sites I think the word would be out and people would come here just to buy and peddle on other sites. It has happened before, it is often talked about.

3. You don't know how the seller acquired the parts they are selling. If Joe Shmoe buys a part from somewhere and paid xxx for it, why, when he decides to sell it should he only ask xx for it here?

4. Many years ago Doug started the Parts Exchange thread. This is was designed to be more of something like, I have this part and would like to swap for this part. It's a great idea and I have used it on occasion to offer and get parts that are more of a swap idea and not a buy or sell idea. Maybe that area would be better? I know Doug gets parts from people for low or no cost and offers people the same deal when it is time to move them, a great idea and person.

I know where you are coming from and the idea that you are trying to get across but this is an open forum to the public at large and we do not know how people acquired the parts they are selling or the time or money invested to make the part what it is. A fair price should be considered market price which is what a person is willing to pay. If it is too high then do not buy it until the seller lowers the price to something more reasonable for you. Many parts are rare and getting more rare by the day, "cheap" parts will be harder to find.

JMHO

·
AZ SSR Daily Driver
496 Posts
Drangon2U is right. Happy to trade equal value but there are low ball hoarders that lurk here also. Seems only fair to ask a fair price.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I have too agree with Dragon, what is " Fair Price "? If the Price is more than You wish, pass on it and continue too scour the sites to find that rare Gem. If You want it and are willing too pay the asking price, it must be Fair in your mind, right? Parts are getting harder too find and thank Goodness, We have those in the Forum that utilize their energies and talents too either Repair or Re-design a more superior replacement part for each of us too access. I personally have given parts away to other Members, tie down anchors, Cargo Net, fuses etc. There are others that do a lot more, giving their Time do explain in depth a process for repairs, their Mechanical Skills too install parts at Tech Days. I Thank each and everyone of the Members on this Site for caring enough too keep our awesome Trucks running with as few issues as We can get by with.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,343 Posts
First off I am relatively a newbie on this group but think Dragon2U hit the nail on the head. I have asked looking for parts and have gotten deals and have gotten giraffe tail prices on other things. I pass on the ones that are high and buy what I think are worth the price. I also think its like most things in life when you know someone who needs something you make them a deal, when you list something for sale you ask a fair market price unless you are just wanting it gone then you offer it at a reduced price to get rid of it.

For me right now I don't have a stock pile of parts to help others with but I would lend a hand or tools if I could to show my appreciation of help others have given me. While I may never have a part that Dragon needs, maybe someday I can help a friend of his out that is traveling through my state.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,479 Posts
I also agree with Dragon over the years I have accumulated a lot of parts and have never advertised any on here for sale but have responded the someone looking for parts and sold them at a very fair price or give them away and a couple of times seen them back on here for sale for a profit it didn't upset me but, I think I will be more careful in the future. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
I also agree with Dragon over the years I have accumulated a lot of parts and have never advertised any on here for sale but have responded the someone looking for parts and sold them at a very fair price or give them away and a couple of times seen them back on here for sale for a profit it didn't upset me but, I think I will be more careful in the future. /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Exactly my thoughts..and I have sold several things at bargain price...even regifted a few for just postage...

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I sell a lot of parts on the Forum and strive to keep my prices reasonable. That being said, if you don’t like the price someone is selling a part for then you just move on. You don’t have to buy it and can look for a better price. I think we all know when we are getting squeezed and when it’s a reasonable price. The prices are only going higher and, as an owner on this forum for twelve years, I am amazed. You can always go to the recycle yards on eBay to compare pricing.

OLDxR
Dane

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. You are making my point. Just be fair and honest and help your brothers out. Market value is what it is on some pieces. I understand that. And some here are running businesses. I understand that too. And also, my hat's off to all who share their knowledge and experience too help out. But for those who take advantage of situations here for purely financial gain.... well, you're not a fanatic in my book.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,343 Posts
I sell a lot of parts on the Forum and strive to keep my prices reasonable. That being said, if you don’t like the price someone is selling a part for then you just move on. You don’t have to buy it and can look for a better price. I think we all know when we are getting squeezed and when it’s a reasonable price. The prices are only going higher and, as an owner on this forum for twelve years, I am amazed. You can always go to the recycle yards on eBay to compare pricing.

OLDxR
Dane
There are a lot of parts on my truck that have come from Dane and all were a good deal, shipped fast , and as expected or better then I expected when I got them.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I get his point on financial gain, for me I buy a parts car for what I want and sell the rest. It’s really not worth buying one to make money, once you pay for the R and transport it and when someone needs a part off it goes. Wizards is absolutely right about some businesses that are strictly at it for the green? So all in all I enjoy getting parts to our Fanatics and hopefully never overprice the items. Now, what can I get for you??

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I've bought parts and accessories from I believe every vendor and supplier that has them for the SSR. Mostly 99.99% satisfied. The price is right if it is something I want. May not need it but I want it. Sometimes the lovely wife don't agree but she loves the TOY. My complaint is if someone wants to buy a set of bull horns and install it on his hood who am I to say it's wrong or a remote to watch his top go up and down from his front porch who are we to say it's wrong ? Just my .02.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
I am assuming you are taking issue with something you were trying to buy for your R and thought the price was too high. Maybe you can share that with us and we can give you some feedback as to whether it was or was not too high. In general, I compare to what GM asked for the part. Even though many things are not available, you can still pull up what they went for. With so many things becoming hard to find, it is a sellers market. So you shop around, have patients, and if you want it bad enough you pay the price.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The main thing about this forum is the fact that everyone seems to go out of their way to help each other. If it is a part that you need everyone will try to help you find it and offer to help you put it on. If you pay a little extra for a part everything else makes up the difference. I personally would recommend this forum to anyone.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am assuming you are taking issue with something you were trying to buy for your R and thought the price was too high. Maybe you can share that with us and we can give you some feedback as to whether it was or was not too high. In general, I compare to what GM asked for the part. Even though many things are not available, you can still pull up what they went for. With so many things becoming hard to find, it is a sellers market. So you shop around, have patients, and if you want it bad enough you pay the price.

Dr. Who, with all respect, your assumption is incorrect. I am not having issues with parts I am wanting to buy. My comments are based on a year and a half of observations of parts for sale on this forum vs what they can be had for elsewhere. Now granted, there are stand up guys here who will help no matter what it takes (thank you), but then there are those who only answer to the almighty dollar. I'm just frustrated that this situation exists on this forum where most of us only want the best for our fellow fanatics.

As I said up front, this is a rant. I'll get over it.

·
RED SLED
440 Posts
Patience Pays Off

OK.. Let me be frank. This is a rant.

I am shocked by some of the pricing for used parts on this forum. I thought we were all here to help each other and keep our trucks on the road. But sadly, it appears that some people here have a different motive in mind. The almighty dollar. Why do some have to ask stupid money for parts here?? If you want to sell a part or two here, do it because you want to help out your brothers and price it accordingly. If you're greedy and want to make a big profit, go to ebay. This is a place help each other. Not rape and pillage. Just my $.02

Hey Wizz, I have felt that way too at times, the parts being above what I would "Like" to pay but the rarity of some things drives up the demands and thus the price of the parts. My suggestion is to try to do what I did (I have most of what I need). I follow an ebay alerts search for specific parts and you can also go to the degree of doing a google alerts search. On occasion you'll see use parts vendors selling something on the cheap. I have bought a few things that way and saved quite a bit of money that way on parts that, as you said, forum members think are gold, but with a little patience you'll see a "buy it now" price on ebay or a craigslist ad and pick them up very well priced.

The other thing is, buying parts from vendors who have spent the time researching something for compatibility and fit. That costs time AND money. Sometimes vendors buying those pieces to try and see if they'll work. For me I'll happily pay for those marked up parts because I didn't have to do the R and D. Mike Morro with Simple engineering is a terrific example. We're all better off to have guys like that around to help as well as others with a vast amount of knowledge and expertise. Knowledge is money too. Most of the time here it's free. Free is a very good price.

Lastly, this should be a hobby for you that you can afford. Some of us have disposable income so the cost really doesn't matter. Some have to use the visa or sell something else to afford it. Regardless of the circumstances, I would suggest a re-evaluation of your circumstances and then determine if the joy is worth the $. There's a Joy ride out there for all of us. Currently for me it's the SSR. If the SSR isn't worth the $ you'll need to spend on it to keep things working it might be time for a change. But that choice is ultimately yours.

What ever direction you choose, I wish you many fond memories. Life is too short not to spend the money if you have it on thing that bring you the rewards to the pleasure side your brain :)

Stew

Siri is responsible for all my grammar and typos

134 Posts
If you do not like what you see here....
try going to the dealer for the part, and get
the price of it.
If you want it....your going to have to pay
for it.

See you back here on the Forum.....

Frank...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Some interesting comments. I'll respond.

S2NAZ,

Yes. I am well aware of multiple options for sourcing parts, ebay included. Thanks.

Yes, the vendors I have dealt with are truly stand up guys. I have bought from them and will continue to do so.

Yes, I have sufficient funds to afford my hobbies. Partly because I pay reasonable prices for my stuff. I'm happy for you that you have excess disposable income.

SSR Trouble,
Dealers don't have much for SSR's anymore (well, maybe spark plugs). There are other options other than dealers and here. I have bought stuff here, and elsewhere, and will continue to do so depending upon a fair deal.

All I'm saying is, BUYER BEWARE. There are good deals here and some not so good deals here. As someone who appreciates good deals, I'm saying DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Don't assume that SSRFanatics has the best deals (which, to me, is a sad reality). Check out your options and know what's out there before you commit to buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a new member to the forum and have not bought any parts off the forum, but I would like to. I am looking for the name plate on the front of the hood. when I bought my 2003 R a couple of weeks ago, the name plate was in the cab broken. I have tried to put it back together with no success at all. Does anyone have a name plate for sale?

Regards,

RJ In OKC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts