Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the SSr platform will only have a 30 month life cycle how long will GM support parts for this truck? There are lots of unique and "one off" parts on this little beauty, Roof and its workings (eek look inside the windshield header top alone) rubber etc. If ASC gets sold or worse goes belly up, Should we be buying a whole new set of rubber roof seals and gaskets now? or will GM continue to support the Truck saaay 10 years from now?...:skep Now look at the problem Focks is having with his top now. What if this happens 8 years from now will we have factory service parts and support? Will the roof even be able to be fixed 8 years from now? Usually there are aftermarket suppliers for parts but this Truck being so limited in production I doubt there will be any investments made in it by the aftermarket makers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That thread gives me no more relief. You must remember todays modern automotive plants work there parts supply in a "just in time" fashion. Years ago auto makers had a 4-6 months supply of parts stored for assembly. When a model was discontinued these parts went into the replacement parts system. So yes pleanty of parts of all kinds were on hand for years such as im sure with Delorian. Today the plant is lucky if it has about a 5 day supply in storage and only minimum amounts of parts are stored in the replacement parts system today. Replacement parts would have to be ordered paid for in large amounts and stored by GM to service the cars already built once the model is finished. You think thats going to happen??
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
And the world may end tomorrow and we can't change that.

I suspect that there will be someone/company out there to make these parts as needed after the 10year supply!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im guessing a set of brand new SSr front fenders will be selling for $5K each 20 years from now STOCK UP! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
10 Years

It has always been my understanding auto companies are required to stock parts for 10 years. My Acquaintance at ASC said the same is required of them.



Regards,

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
Thanks, that info makes me feel better about parts anyway..Of course, both are said to be in financial trouble.
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,650 Posts
woohoo said:
Thanks, that info makes me feel better about parts anyway..Of course, both are said to be in financial trouble.
The law is the law! :nono

GM would still have to make those parts available... even if GM had to give or sell the rights to someone else to produce the parts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
91 Posts
hot-rod said:
It has always been my understanding auto companies are required to stock parts for 10 years. My Acquaintance at ASC said the same is required of them.



Regards,

Tom
I believe the 10 years parts supply is correct, however, nothing dictates what price they have to sell those parts for. What we need is some kind of cross reference with other GM vehicles.

Just my thoughts
Richard Shute
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Marc NY said:
The law is the law! :nono

GM would still have to make those parts available... even if GM had to give or sell the rights to someone else to produce the parts.

This is correct, We (Toyota) also have to stock parts for ten years..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Don't worry about parts

There will be plenty for years to come, and after production ends, even more will be available from aftermarket sources seaking to get their share of the replacement parts market. It's huge, and profitable. GM won't abandon it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every part I have ordered for this Truck so far has been from ASC and not GM. Im just wondering just how much GM had to do with this project except fund it. Even the Bed strips were ASC branded.
 

·
SSR Owners Group
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
Ricochet said:
Every part I have ordered for this Truck so far has been from ASC and not GM. Im just wondering just how much GM had to do with this project except fund it. Even the Bed strips were ASC branded.
If you read the book - "SSR - An American Original" you'd better understand the ASC / Chevrolet connection - it's very well discussed there. :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
kwhopper89 said:
If you read the book - "SSR - An American Original" you'd better understand the ASC / Chevrolet connection - it's very well discussed there. :rolleyes:
Hahaha I have a HOLE in my head from that book and im not kidding. About a week ago I was having trouble falling asleep so I got out of bed and grabbed the "SSr Bible" and really was just looking at the nice pictures. Well it did the trick I started getting really sleepy so instad of getting out of bed to put the book away I decided to lay the book on the other side of the bed at the headboard. WELL, :sleep in the middle of the nite I woke up suddenly :eek and quickly turned to the right and SMACK :banghead I ran my forehead right into the VERY SHARP corner of that DAM Book that was now wedged against the headboard. Now im half asleep trying to figure out who just stabbed me in the forehead :willy: when all of a sudden I remember what I did. THEN came the blood gushing all over my brand new Duvet and sheets.:mad A week has past and I still have a HUGE scab on my forehead from that book. and my bed looks like someone was murdered in it....true story and Im still answering questions on how I got that big gash on my head......:glol I know that book VERY WELL indeed. From now on im sticking to porn mags...:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,382 Posts
For your own safety, better make them soft porn mags.:glol

Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
Richochet, your worries are groundless. Try reading the book next time. A little knowledge is a dangerous and uniformed mind, a lot of knowledge changes the world.:jester
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
cruzned said:
Richochet, your worries are groundless. Try reading the book next time. A little knowledge is a dangerous and uniformed mind, a lot of knowledge changes the world.:jester
Ahhhh,... Maybe thats whats wrong with George Bush jr.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top