Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pass window is in up position but will not go down, top goes down and drivers window. The pass door is the door I replaced because of accident. I used regulator motor and window hardware from donor door. Can someone point me in right direction to check out window? I checked connections but no luck.
Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Jeff
I am assuming that it worked after the body repairs were completed and this is a new problem (Is this correct?)

The power windows are controlled by the Roof Door Module (RDM). The switch grounds a circuit to create a up or down command for each window -- The RDM then controls the operation of the window motor.

If you had a switch problem the window indexing might still work -- and/or the auto window up and down when opening and closing the roof. Does window move in either case?

Do you own (have access to) any electrical test equipment -- scan tool (not code reader), 12volt test light or voltmeter?

Without any test equipment it would be very difficult to be sure what is at fault, unless you have an assortment of good parts.
Did you happen to keep the window motor from the old door - you could always try plugging that in to see if it moves.

Let us know all of the answers and I am sure one of us can provide some assistance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Body repairs finished, never checked window, used internals from donor door, have tester, window does not move at all either direction with switch or up or down with top.
Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
jeff,---Do as he says, answer his questions, be patient, listen to others as well, and you will eventually succeed!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Jeff
Is it only the window that doesn't work?
I am assuming that the power mirror works! (If not, start by inspecting C600 as described later)

Which tester?
I will assume a standard (not an LED) test-light

I also do not know your abilities -- so I will assume I am helping one of my entry level students (Sorry if too basic)

Remove door panel and unplug window motor
Picture one

1. Connect one lead of test light to terminal 6 Dk Blu wire and the other lead to terminal 3 brn wire, polarity (which side is which) doesn't matter. (picture 1st test) With key on operate power window switch in both directions.
If test light comes on in BOTH directions - replace window motor
If test light comes one in one direction only - faulty RDM or down switch circuit
If test light fails to light in either direction continue testing

2. Determine which circuit has a fault. Connect test light alligator clip to know good ground. Confirm you have good ground by touching probe to a good power source (rear fuse box fuses or somewhere else. This might require jumper wire to increase length of test light wire) Once you establish a good ground (test light comes on!) move probe side of test light to back to motor connector (BE SURE NOT TO DISTURB Alligator clip connection!) test light should light on each terminal (wire) as you operate switch - turn key on, operate switch light should come on (terminal 6 D Blu switch down) and (terminal 3 Brn switch up) Note which one does not work and continue testing.

3. Repeat test at C600 (picture 1 2nd test) located behind right kick panel at the same wires ( do not unplug connector) test the wire on both sides of connector while operating the switch. (ALSO be sure to observe that the wire colors mate up on both sides of connector -- you never know if body shop disconnected something and did not put terminals back in correctly?)
If the light comes on both sides of connector -- that wire is broken between connector and inside the door motor
If it light on only one side of connector - connector faulty -- disconnect and repair terminal

If it worked before accident and not now - one of these tests, if done correctly should reveal the problem.

Let us know what you find -- or if you require more assistance -

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn’t even think about plugging in original motor because I assumed that the other motor was good. Wrong! I plugged it in and wahlah it worked. I didn’t use that motor because that is where it was hit in accident. Thanks for your suggestion on that. Window now works now on to other issues.
Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I didn’t even think about plugging in original motor because I assumed that the other motor was good. Wrong! I plugged it in and wahlah it worked. I didn’t use that motor because that is where it was hit in accident. Thanks for your suggestion on that. Window now works now on to other issues.
Thanks Jeff
Glad that worked -- :banana

I guess you can ignore response #5 :banghead

Maybe that info will help someone else in the future

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help, if you hadn’t mentioned the old motor I’d still be checking it out.
Thanks Again
Jeff

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,783 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
jeff, WAY to go!!!! Love it when something looks BIG but turns out NOT so big

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
I have a big basement I will save everything, just helped out another member with a hinge cover, you never know who will need what with most these parts not available anymore.
Jeff
Absolutely, The transmission guy looked at me funny when I told him I wanted the stock pan after he installed the aluminum finned pan from Mike, but you never know who might need one... even me. :yesnod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts