Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Window goes down but won't go back up. Pulled motor off the tracks and then plugged eletrical back in. When I push the window power button the motor rotates in the same direction (whether I push button for window to go up or down) is that normal? If motors bad does anyone have a part # that forsure is the right one with 6 pins. mechanic that was working on ssr ordered first and second generation motors both only 2 pin both wrong ... thanks I live in Hawaii, maui any kind of help is appreciated

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,697 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
That is a very unusual failure mode for this type of electric motor. Not impossible, just not common.

Did window motor index when opening and closing door?
if yes, it is not the window motor at fault.

See post #5 of the attached link for some testing ideas but use a voltmeter instead of a test light to confirm a faulty motor.
The voltmeter should display +12 volts in one direction then without moving test leads it should display -12 volts in other direction.

If you get those readings this would confirm a bad motor.

If both voltage readings are positive or both are negative. Report back and i can provide more testing.

Or use scan tool. Look at RDM data. See if window switches provide different commands. You can also try using special functions on scan tool to command window to go up or down and see if motor rotates in different directions.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,476 Posts
@SSRSOUZA, there is some info to start with, Meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
IMPORTANT addition to the steps I listed previously
Be sure to use the voltmeter with the power window motor plugged in. You need to have some current flowing in order for the voltmeter to display a true reading.
Do this by inserting the test leads into the wire side of the connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a very unusual failure mode for this type of electric motor. Not impossible, just not common.

Did window motor index when opening and closing door?
if yes, it is not the window motor at fault.

See post #5 of the attached link for some testing ideas but use a voltmeter instead of a test light to confirm a faulty motor.
The voltmeter should display +12 volts in one direction then without moving test leads it should display -12 volts in other direction.

If you get those readings this would confirm a bad motor.

If both voltage readings are positive or both are negative. Report back and i can provide more testing.

Or use scan tool. Look at RDM data. See if window switches provide different commands. You can also try using special functions on scan tool to command window to go up or down and see if motor rotates in different directions.

Window Did not index

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
Ok, then it is possible the motor has a strange failure or it could be that it lost the up and down position memory and cannot be relearned because it is not working. -- as difficult as the motors are to come by I would try my simple test fist,

If you can find and purchase a used window regulator - it is usually sold with a motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I'll try the test first ,and try to locate a regulator and motor...

Reactions: Autoprof

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Ok, then it is possible the motor has a strange failure or it could be that it lost the up and down position memory and cannot be relearned because it is not working. -- as difficult as the motors are to come by I would try my simple test fist,

If you can find and purchase a used window regulator - it is usually sold with a motor.

:unsure:
Prof........on a very related note/question.............Why do you think it is nearly always the deal that the (not really used that much) passenger window craps out or "slows down" in the up/down movement versus the drivers side window. I've observed this on multiple vehicles over the years.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
@moscooter,
Good question, sorry no answer.
Though this might explain why J&J wrecking has 4 left side regulators and motor assemblies listed, but none for the right side.🤔

Maybe its lack of use vs over use or is it designed/built for less use????? I am clueless.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,074 Posts
I have had 2 of my 3 trucks have the passengers side window track have issues but none of the drivers side. I wonder if it is because the pressure on the rollers or tension is kept more constant on the passengers side because we use the drivers side more often.

The issue I have had is the plastic that the cable ends go to breaks and allows the cable to come out and the window drops down. Having them rebuilt they glue the plastic back together and replace the rollers with better rollers. I wonder if the rollers are maybe smaller to reduce the tension on the cables?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts