Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has experience doing this. Had a situation where someone was proposing buying a vehicle I was selling via paypal. In closer examination, seems that the seller is at the mercy of the buyer being honest and following through by releasing the payment from paypal once vehicle is delivered. Catch 22. I had never heard of that before and for sure as a seller I would not feel comfortable doing that. Seems too much of a gamble.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Don't do it. This is a ongoing scam especially on Craigslist.
Here's a few typical scenarios:
Buyer will send an email that looks like its from PayPal saying you have been paid but you won't be paid.
Buyer says he will pay extra for the item to be shipped and requests you make a Western Union payment or wire transfer to his shipping agent to cover shipping, funds go bye bye and buyer goes silent.
Paypal does not have a feature to hold funds for later release.
Paypal has no seller or buyer protection for selling a car.

Use PayPal for non refundable down payment but be aware they keep 3% fee. Then request a certified check from a major US bank. Car is released for shipment when payment is received and check is verified.
Always request full name and address and then check them out online to make sure they are real. Not an empty store front or Postal store. You can usually find someone's info on google, most have some sort of social media or work profile, arrest records etc. that will show up.

I have purchased and sold many vehicles on EBay this way and never been stung. EBay lot has up to $50K protection for vehicle purchase.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Deposit

Only accept a paypal deposit for the car, then require a "Wired Payment" from the buyers bank to your bank ( and confirm receipt of payment from your bank ) PRIOR to shipping the car. Oh and ALL shipping cost / arraignments are the responsibility of the buyer. I did it this way and ALL went well.:grin2: Oh and NEVER send the Owners / Title / other paperwork with the car. Send UPS / FEDX / Registered Certified mail.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
If it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up, even slightly, then probably not a great idea. I have too agree with the Others, if the person has the money too purchase Your vehicle, then they should also be able too have their Bank send you a letter of Credit and information about the person, I would suspect. I would also contact PayPal and ensure they actually would cover the transaction before releasing anything. Just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Good advice from all. This is another reason why the Fanatic forum is the best on the net!

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Easiest way to verify it’s a scam, get their address and say you have someone coming over to inspect the car. I looked at several really low priced vehicles on CL only to get the story about someone dying or the vehicle is in such and such a town. I always tell them a story as well...I just happen to live in that very town, what’s your address? When they want eBay payment I say this has to be a face to face because I’m paying in CASH. It’s odd that I never hear from them again.

OLDxR

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
My rule for buying/selling cars... If EVERYTHING is not completely up front and above board, walk away. Even if I have the slightest twinge that somethings not right, I shut it down. There's always another car to buy and there's always another person who will buy my cars. Do your homework and be patient. Set your guidelines and stick to them. If a buyer or seller is honest, none of this will be a problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good advice from all. This is another reason why the Fanatic forum is the best on the net!
:agree Yes, all good advices! Thank you for your feedback. I did a multi website advertisement & will have them follow guidelines that follow protocol for protection.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure of any purchases any more. Bought a 90 Buick estate wagon on ebay. Seller said it was a one owner before him older couples car? Then the shipper was out of country & not able to pick up my car for weeks? Finally after all the calls & negotiating. I finally got the paid for vehicle shipped. Took 3 days to go 300 miles. Ebay did not help. The pictures did not show what I discovered on delivery. 5 Kill switches killed battery next day. The car would not start due to dead battery reset the access codes. A electrical nightmare. I got all the problems fixed. Had new tires & wheels installed after many after market wheel sellers arguing that the wheels would not fit & altered suspension? Well had tires wheels mounted & found that the installed did not match direction & outside out. Back Wagon went. Well that is not the end. I was driving home from tire store & a dumb driver ran a red light or a over lap in Green & Red lights? Hit me head on. Totaling Buick. I bought the Wagon because SSR is not a year round good hauling vehicle. Well after being ripped off by a Classic car insurer. Took several months to locate font clip. Well I am never again using FEDEX. Boxes stolen off porch, Damages sheet metal, Lost or miss directed boxes & parts not in box as shipped. I am waiting today for weather to co operate to get car running. One problem that I would like to ask Fanatics. Were do they get body work & paint done. I have gone to 2 dealers & several privately owned collision & or paint shops. All said NO! Why? I have 3 vehicles needing paint. Not able to find any in Ohio Michigan etc. Is this some thing new? One fanatic said that he has no problems get repair or custom paint done. WHAT? I have to move to another state to get repairs? Confused

1 - 11 of 11 Posts