Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|

Details of this problem are on the last page of my gear swap posting.

Gear Swap completed----Howls and whines big time.

I'm starting this new post for those that might not be following that old post but indeed might have info regarding what if anything that can be done with a PCM that appears to be locked.

My guy at PCMFORLESS, cannot get into it to alter my speedo. Said he couldn't even get into the data to show my VIN, etc.

When I get it back, I expect it should still work OK as it was just fine when I took it out to mail off to Ohio........except for the need to alter the speedo readings.

I guess I can live with knowing about just how much "off" my speedo is versus true speed, but the PCM being (non accessible) by Keith at PCMFORLESS, suggests I will run into problems in the future if I make any changes that require a new "tune".:frown2:

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
:|

Details of this problem are on the last page of my gear swap posting.

Gear Swap completed----Howls and whines big time.

I'm starting this new post for those that might not be following that old post but indeed might have info regarding what if anything that can be done with a PCM that appears to be locked.

My guy at PCMFORLESS, cannot get into it to alter my speedo. Said he couldn't even get into the data to show my VIN, etc.

When I get it back, I expect it should still work OK as it was just fine when I took it out to mail off to Ohio........except for the need to alter the speedo readings.

I guess I can live with knowing about just how much "off" my speedo is versus true speed, but the PCM being (non accessible) by Keith at PCMFORLESS, suggests I will run into problems in the future if I make any changes that require a new "tune".:frown2:
Hey Mo. Just a suggestion and it's free. Download one of the apps to check speed on smart phone. Just my .02.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,639 Posts
Might try to talk to one or both of these guys. Mike at Simple engineering uses I believe his name is Joe Delano on the west coast for computer work. The other one is, Jeremy, works for Fasterproms out of Florida that does almost all the SSR tuning and trans etc. They may be able to unlock or give you answers. Might also check rear end speedo tuning on this forum thru search. I just did that and several sites came up. Good luck.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
FWIW, with the 4.56 gears, the speedo will be off by 20% so when it says 31 mph, you'll be doing 25. 62 will be 50, etc.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Man, this has been quite the journey for you......

There are PCM unlocking services, around $75, just do a Google search for more. This one is in Moorseville NC, was a close so I included it in the post.
PCM Unlocking Service ? PCM of NC, Inc.

I am sure Joe or someone else that has a lot of knowledge about the programming aspect of the PCM should be able to dig in there and get access again but it does take some different equipment that he might not have.

Or, you could get a new PCM, but that would be a bit pricey. Not sure I would live with it, not just the MPH reading being off but also the fact that you are cheating the miles on the odometer.

Hope this saga ends with good news soon.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,639 Posts
I had thought about gears but with the war stories of gear noise and now this speedo thing I think mine is fine.

Reactions: nj6969 and gaindian

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
I have got to totally agree with Auggie on this one. I was thinking changing to 4:11 rear gears but after this monumental (and expensive) "muck up", I'm going to hold off and do more research. :surprise:

I have heard that going only up to the 4:11 set isn't as big a deal as going even higher but I'm definitely gun shy now. :nerd:

===============
David :black:
2018-12-27-11-35-10-1652721257.jpeg

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,311 Posts
Holy crap.....

A locked PCM means that whoever programmed it last put their own password lock on the software. If you think back to the last person who modified your PCM software, you should be able to deduce the source of the locking...... None of the tuners I know would do such a thing.

No..... I don’t have any other solution.

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
Maybe check with the previous owner if any programing done. If I'm thinking right it was a Fanatic !?

Nick

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Augie, David,

I hope you reconsider your thought on a gear change. The 4:11 gear does provide a really nice seat of the pants performance bump. It is relatively inexpensive and doesn't effect other operating systems in the vehicle

Here's what I've come to believe after my due diligence.

From what I've read, it appears gear issues seem to happen more with the 4:56 and 4:30 gears. Not sure why this is.

Gear quality matters. Again, after copious amounts of reading, those who installed high quality gears, factory American Axle in my case, had no issues. Some people are forced to go with brand X gears because of their rear end and gear ratio selection. But they tend to have a higher rate of problems.

Installers matter. While I believe most problems arise from poor quality gears, a qualified mechanic is a must for this job.

Speedo changes are a snap for 5.3 owners. Most any shop or hand held tuner can make the adjustment. But 6.0 owners should plan ahead for this. Go with someone who has the knowledge and reputation and knows what they are doing.

Sadly, moscooter has suffered some setbacks. But I'm betting he will get through it and it will be a learning experience for all of us.

Regards, wizzr.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Here's my thought for what it's worth. Higher gear ratio means you want to see how fast you can leave on a dead stop, which means tires spinning faster, which means faster tire wear. The only reason I would want higher gears is to show that young punk in his what ever, that this old man in his pick up still has it. But it sure feels nice to feel young again at that moment.

·
Premium Member
20,092 Posts
Contact Dale maybe he knows who owned it before you , then you can find the tuner

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought this SSR out of Las Vegas. Prior owner had it tuned by Joe Delano ?? I think he is well known on the West coast. Per what Mike from SE said, I kinda doubt Joe would have created a password and/or caused the PCM to be locked.

Waiting to hear back from PC of NC regarding their ability to "unlock" the damn thing. Thanks for the "ref" to them. Hopefully, they can help me out..........would also be nice if they have the ability to alter the speedo too.

We will see :hyper:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,639 Posts
Sounds like you want to talk to Joe Delano yourself if he is the last to work on it. Even if he did not put the lock on he may know how to get it off. He seems to be the answer and is the west coast expert I hear.

This is him
Left Coast 32
https://www.leftcoast32.com/

Worth a phone call.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you want to talk to Joe Delano yourself if he is the last to work on it. Even if he did not put the lock on he may know how to get it off. He seems to be the answer and is the west coast expert I hear.

This is him
Left Coast 32
https://www.leftcoast32.com/

Worth a phone call.
:smile2:
Auggie, thanks for the info to reach Joe. Don't think right now that doing that would be needed. Got off the phone earlier this afternoon with Mark at PCM of NC in Mooresville, N.C.

He believes he can via a (program) they have be able to unlock the PCM. He explained to me that this program runs 24/7 and can take up to ten days to come up with the code to "unlock" it. Said it might find it in a day or two...........or could go as long as ten days to do it.:surprise:

I explained that Keith in Ohio had the PCM.........turns out he knows Keith. Told me to have Keith send the PCM straight to him and he would get it unlocked.

Given he told me that, I obviously asked the next pertinent question.........Could you guys then alter the speedo also??? He thought they could do that too. Gave me a price to do both the unlock and the speedp alteration that was very reasonable to me.:smile2:

So, I called Keith back and told him about speaking with Mark........it turned out that Keith had not yet put my PCM in the mail back to me (along with my check to him). So, he said he would mail the PCM to Mark and they could unlock it and................:frown2: then send it back to him to alter the speedo?????

I said..........Mark told me that he could also alter the speedo. Keith said when they talked that was not (for sure).

So............Now I'm kinda in "hold mode" waiting for my PCM to arrive in Mooresville at Marks shop and then hopefully he gets it unlocked and (in addition), is able to do the speedo alter as well.

If not, I'm faced with it returning to Ohio and more cost to finally get 'er done.:banghead

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Saga continues............

:crazy
Well, here is the latest update. Keith from Ohio (Pcmforless), spoke with Mark at PC of NC and sent my PCM on to him for the (unlock) service.

Mark gets my PCM and finds it not to be locked. He was able to thru his program, get into it OK.

He also thought he could make the speedo alteration needed. He wanted and I gave him the "stock" tire size and my current rear tire size along with the 456 gear swap info.

Got it back from him a couple of days OK. This morning, I reinstalled the PCM (not a fun task) and fired it up for a ride...........its been close to a month since I first sent off the PCM to Ohio.

:| Well, she fired up OK, but sadly, the speedo is still not right. When speedo says 65, my GPS says 55, So, I'm seeing around 9-10 or so mph error at real speeds between 40---70.:banghead.

I'll be contacting Mark at PC of NC on Monday to relate the remaining speedo error. Not sure that he will have any other solution. I know others have had Keith in Ohio do theirs, but he for what ever reason couldn't communicate with my PCM when he tried it.

I have absolutely no desire to pull that damn PCM out again. Somehow, I will just wait until someone with the right program can access it thru the (check engine light) port and modify it that way.

Any chance that a source that can in fact alter the speedo will be attending the Maggie Valley Rally.:confused

Any other thoughts or ideas out there as to what else I could do to get back in sync with my speedo matching my GPS accurately.:skep

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,639 Posts
:crazy
Well, here is the latest update. Keith from Ohio (Pcmforless), spoke with Mark at PC of NC and sent my PCM on to him for the (unlock) service.

Mark gets my PCM and finds it not to be locked. He was able to thru his program, get into it OK.

He also thought he could make the speedo alteration needed. He wanted and I gave him the "stock" tire size and my current rear tire size along with the 456 gear swap info.

Got it back from him a couple of days OK. This morning, I reinstalled the PCM (not a fun task) and fired it up for a ride...........its been close to a month since I first sent off the PCM to Ohio.

:| Well, she fired up OK, but sadly, the speedo is still not right. When speedo says 65, my GPS says 55, So, I'm seeing around 9-10 or so mph error at real speeds between 40---70.:banghead.

I'll be contacting Mark at PC of NC on Monday to relate the remaining speedo error. Not sure that he will have any other solution. I know others have had Keith in Ohio do theirs, but he for what ever reason couldn't communicate with my PCM when he tried it.

I have absolutely no desire to pull that damn PCM out again. Somehow, I will just wait until someone with the right program can access it thru the (check engine light) port and modify it that way.

Any chance that a source that can in fact alter the speedo will be attending the Maggie Valley Rally.:confused

Any other thoughts or ideas out there as to what else I could do to get back in sync with my speedo matching my GPS accurately.:skep
Sounds like an easy calculation going down the road just remind yourself 10 off and go with that for now. Accurate mileage on your R, now that's another matter and not in your favor. Every hour you drive it, it will read 10 miles more then you have traveled. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts