Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Murphy's Law took effect. 1. white smoke out tailpipe. 2. Low on coolant, my thinking was head gasket or cracked head. After pressure test and hydro- carbon test those 2 have been ruled out.
Determined low coolant was from replacing heater hoses and it had a air bubble. Since it was low a qt of oil and smoking on start up after hot shut down. We are leaning to PCV system. The OE valve covers are baffled for PCV system. Replacement Holly Chrome Valve covers are not. Has anyone replaced valve covers and had this issue. Or or there any suggestions.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,019 Posts
Like I said. Double check your work. It seemed to work fine until this last round of mods. Must be something in that area. Good luck.

Reactions: SSReplay and S2NAZ

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
The PCV system on the valve covers is critical to getting good crankcase venting. The “normal” PCV system on the SSR/LS2 allows for a consistent draw through a small orifice on the left valve cover connection to the intake manifold while the right valve cover connects to the intake hose for a clean air intake into the crankcase. If not balanced properly, you can get one of the two following problems......

1). If the orifice is missing from the left valve cover connection, the intake manifold may draw too heavily from the crankcase. This will tend to actually pull a lot of oil vapor into the intake manifold and create an elevated oil consumption. Smoke on startup is not unusual in this case.

2). If there is no connection of the left valve cover to the intake manifold, the engine crankcase may pressurize during some portions of engine operation. Ignoring the possibility that this may push oil past the rings, the real issue is that it will push oil out of the right valve cover connection into the inlet, upstream of the throttle body. Smoke on startup is not unusual in this case as well.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin that applies to the SSR LS2 when a customer complains about oil consumption. The GM fix for “higher than desired” oil consumption in our LS2 is to install the LS3 valve covers. Please note that the cost of this TSB is NOT covered by GM. It is an elective TSB that must be paid by the customer. No, I don’t know the number..... or the cost.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,360 Posts
Just checking------did you read @river_rat post #6 in your thread 3-28-18??? he had a link "Topspin's oil-consumption-fix". Sounds like it might pertain to your problem?!

Nick

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,019 Posts
Adding to what Mike said.

The engine needs to breathe. In the old days the oil fill tube or valve cover had a breather cap and the rear of the engine had a fairly large pipe that went down to the ground and vented all the smoke and vapors and fumes that built up to the atmosphere. In later years they sealed the system and installed the PCV system with a breather cap to let fresh air in and a hose and one way valve to pass fumes back into the intake system and be re-burned. No matter how sophisticated our vehicles have become they still need that breathing. If your new valve covers have no inlet or outlet and no PCV system to let the engine breath I would say that is probably your smoke problem. If the engine is completely sealed it will build up pressure and force a gasket to fail somewhere eventually to let those vapors out. In the mean time it will smoke. You might already know all this but just trying to help. Have a good one.

Reactions: voodoophantom

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Robert, went by Todd's about an hour ago ... got a new "kid" working there (it's Andy's brother) had never seen an SSR and wanted to drive it, so Andy told him to drive it up on the alignment lift, first thing he did he got to close to left side and drove off the lift. NO apparent damage till they get a Fork Lift to lift it off the floor and slide it back on the alignment lift ... then and then he forgot he had a screw driver in hid hip pocket and ripped about a 6 inch gash in the drivers seat. Todd patched it with black Duck Tape and said don't tell Robert, he'll never notice it. Oh, one other thing when Andy's brother backed it out, he forgot the top was down and it was raining just enough turn the interior dust to a light mud. If you believe this ... I've got some Ocean Front Property in Arizona that I will sell you and Doris ...cheeeep !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just havin' fun with you Bro, cause I know how you love that "little Red truck with all the Chrome ... at least please :smile2: SSR Guys and Gals this is one "Chrome Plated" SSR from front to rear and everything inbetween. Robert can't lift the hood on a Sunny day cause the glare will blind you. Alexander out :ssr

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding to what Mike said.

The engine needs to breathe. In the old days the oil fill tube or valve cover had a breather cap and the rear of the engine had a fairly large pipe that went down to the ground and vented all the smoke and vapors and fumes that built up to the atmosphere. In later years they sealed the system and installed the PCV system with a breather cap to let fresh air in and a hose and one way valve to pass fumes back into the intake system and be re-burned. No matter how sophisticated our vehicles have become they still need that breathing. If your new valve covers have no inlet or outlet and no PCV system to let the engine breath I would say that is probably your smoke problem. If the engine is completely sealed it will build up pressure and force a gasket to fail somewhere eventually to let those vapors out. In the mean time it will smoke. You might already know all this but just trying to help. Have a good one.
Thanks Auggie. The covers are vented for circulation, but they aren't baffled. The baffle is to slow vapors and oil movement. I've been reading on Corvette and LS2 forum while giving the lovely wife directions to Myrtle Beach. When I get home I'm going to pull covers off and get Holly part # and call their Tech Support. Going to reinstall OE covers and see if problem goes away.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert, went by Todd's about an hour ago ... got a new "kid" working there (it's Andy's brother) had never seen an SSR and wanted to drive it, so Andy told him to drive it up on the alignment lift, first thing he did he got to close to left side and drove off the lift. NO apparent damage till they get a Fork Lift to lift it off the floor and slide it back on the alignment lift ... then and then he forgot he had a screw driver in hid hip pocket and ripped about a 6 inch gash in the drivers seat. Todd patched it with black Duck Tape and said don't tell Robert, he'll never notice it. Oh, one other thing when Andy's brother backed it out, he forgot the top was down and it was raining just enough turn the interior dust to a light mud. If you believe this ... I've got some Ocean Front Property in Arizona that I will sell you and Doris ...cheeeep !!! /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png Just havin' fun with you Bro, cause I know how you love that "little Red truck with all the Chrome ... at least please /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png SSR Guys and Gals this is one "Chrome Plated" SSR from front to rear and everything inbetween. Robert can't lift the hood on a Sunny day cause the glare will blind you. Alexander out
Thanks BOB it's nice have friends like you, always looking out for me. We are going to Wally World to buy me some Speedos to wear on the beach. I'll send you pictures.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Gee, ya' think this guy knows anything about SSR's?

The PCV system on the valve covers is critical to getting good crankcase venting. The “normal” PCV system on the SSR/LS2 allows for a consistent draw through a small orifice on the left valve cover connection to the intake manifold while the right valve cover connects to the intake hose for a clean air intake into the crankcase. If not balanced properly, you can get one of the two following problems......

1). If the orifice is missing from the left valve cover connection, the intake manifold may draw too heavily from the crankcase. This will tend to actually pull a lot of oil vapor into the intake manifold and create an elevated oil consumption. Smoke on startup is not unusual in this case.

2). If there is no connection of the left valve cover to the intake manifold, the engine crankcase may pressurize during some portions of engine operation. Ignoring the possibility that this may push oil past the rings, the real issue is that it will push oil out of the right valve cover connection into the inlet, upstream of the throttle body. Smoke on startup is not unusual in this case as well.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin that applies to the SSR LS2 when a customer complains about oil consumption. The GM fix for “higher than desired” oil consumption in our LS2 is to install the LS3 valve covers. Please note that the cost of this TSB is NOT covered by GM. It is an elective TSB that must be paid by the customer. No, I don’t know the number..... or the cost.

My two cents,

Mike
and there ya have it...

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Thanks BOB it's nice have friends like you, always looking out for me. We are going to Wally World to buy me some Speedos to wear on the beach. I'll send you pictures.
Please do ... I didn't know they made them that big. If they do, get them in black and white, then the Coast Guard will think a whale washed up on the beach !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ssr

·
Premium Member
9,612 Posts
Smoking on startup could be slightly worn Valve guides.. All or most of the G.M. company trucks would do it at AT&T..a little bit of oil would seep past when parked overnight
And burn off on startup... once engine warmed up every was fine..no .. noticeable oil usage between changes..my 2 cents..

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smoking on startup could be slightly worn Valve guides.. All or most of the G.M. company trucks would do it at AT&T..a little bit of oil would seep past when parked overnight
And burn off on startup... once engine warmed up every was fine..no .. noticeable oil usage between changes..my 2 cents..
My cold start up is fine. After engine is warm and shut down for couple of minutes and start up sometimes looks like you are spraying for Mosquitoes than other times just a puff.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
After Murphy's Law took effect. 1. white smoke out tailpipe. 2. Low on coolant, my thinking was head gasket or cracked head. After pressure test and hydro- carbon test those 2 have been ruled out.
Determined low coolant was from replacing heater hoses and it had a air bubble. Since it was low a qt of oil and smoking on start up after hot shut down. We are leaning to PCV system. The OE valve covers are baffled for PCV system. Replacement Holly Chrome Valve covers are not. Has anyone replaced valve covers and had this issue. Or or there any suggestions.
If your 05 has the valley cover pictured below, you're in luck. You can keep your Holley valve covers and also upgrade your PCV system. Simply swap the vacuum line going from your intake manifold to the left valve cover, to the tube in the valley cover. Now you've updated to the Vette C6 system and it's more efficient than the truck setup! If you go one step further and install a catch can in that line, you'll then eliminate most of the oil from the intake tract.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your 05 has the valley cover pictured below, you're in luck. You can keep your Holley valve covers and also upgrade your PCV system. Simply swap the vacuum line going from your intake manifold to the left valve cover, to the tube in the valley cover. Now you've updated to the Vette C6 system and it's more efficient than the truck setup! If you go one step further and install a catch can in that line, you'll then eliminate most of the oil from the intake tract.
Thanks for the input. I'm not at home now but I'm almost certain that I do not have that type valley cover. What is that off of and will it be a direct fit to mine. What brand catch can you suggest? I may just get my OE covers Chromed.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm not at home now but I'm almost certain that I do not have that type valley cover. What is that off of and will it be a direct fit to mine. What brand catch can you suggest? I may just get my OE covers Chromed.
Almost positive you will have that style valley cover, the vent system is capped off with a rubber stop. Use hard plastic or a piece of 3/8 copper tubing to make the line from the intake to the valley cover just use rubber hose to make the connections, as there is quite a bit of vacuum in that hose and rubber will collapse.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I'm betting that you have that cover - just never noticed the plugged tube. Moroso is the brand of catch can that I use. It's shown mounted just in front of the coolant tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
My cold start up is fine. After engine is warm and shut down for couple of minutes and start up sometimes looks like you are spraying for Mosquitoes than other times just a puff.
Today I had a chance to reroute my PCV hose as Topspin suggested and it resolved the smoke coming out the tail pipes.

Pictures below show the reroute.
1) Remove the stock vacuum line from port on top of intake and left valve cover (drivers side)
2) Port on top of intake
3) Port on left valve cover (drivers side)
4) Remove rubber cap from Port on valley cover
5) Install rubber cap from valley cover to port on left valve cover (drivers side)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Routing of the new line (Gates 27053 Vacuum Hose) which was 29.5 inches in length.

1) Port on valley cover
2) Port on top of intake
3) Install rubber hose to port on valley cover (route as preferable)
4) Install rubber hose to port on top of intake
5) Gates 27053 Rubber Vacuum Hose

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts