Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first saw this stuff come out I thought what a silly idea. Why would you want your paint to be able to pull it off. Well my son has a gray Camaro and he wanted black wheels, so he went to Wally world and bought 4 cans of the stuff and painted his bright shiny wheels flat black. He did it about a year ago and it has held up pretty well. They are starting to show their age mostly around the lug nit holes but he has had them on and off a couple times.

So this got me to thinking. I have silver running boards on my black truck and I like the way the silver breaks up all the black on the side of the truck and it works off the silver wheels. My boards are in desperate need of painting so I thought I am going to try the peel paint and see if I like them better black or silver. I pulled the rubber off and the silver under them was in really nice shape so I decided to try something a little different. I taped off the ridges of the runners and left them silver. I am painting the rest of the boards black. If I like it I can peel it off and drop them off at the body shop to have them done in base coat clear coat. If I don't like them I can paint over the silver and see if I like them better all black. So what I thought was a silly idea was actually a pretty good thing after all.

I also wanted to try to offset the hood emblem so I taped it off and painted the inside of the letters in red. I will see how I like it. If not peel it off and back to silver it is.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
how about some pics

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,563 Posts
I think you have to be a contributing member to post pictures.
or use a Photo hosting Service. But when they go out of business we lose the pictures and end up with boxes of RED Xs.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on the peel able paint. I did this more to see if I liked the look or not and it worked for that. I only did one side and as of tonight the paint has been coming off on its own. I had sanded the running board and cleaned it very good before I painted it so I don't know what I did wrong but it did not hold up and the truck has pretty much just been sitting all week. I took both sides off and will now have them painted at the body show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts