Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Penticton Support Tech Roof Struts

I really wanted to come to Penticton again this year, but just can't swing it.

Instead, I have convinced Steve Fenner (Support Tech) to attend the Penticton Rally and install pneumatic roof struts for the SSR owners that will be there. It wasn't hard to talk him into it, since he is such a committed member of the technical community. Steve will be arriving on Thursday and departing on Saturday afternoon. He will be bringing a batch of struts from LST and some of my installation tooling with him.

Steve has been engaged in the roof strut project from day one and is a real proponent of replacing the gas cylinders that help get the roof out of the storage compartment. It's important to do this BEFORE a hydraulic problem shows up.

Please use this thread to sign up for strut replacement at the rally.

Thanks, Steve........

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH MAN!!! And we won't have the R with us!! :nodno
That's OK...... What you need to do is help Steve install a set on someone else's SSR. It's a 5-10 minute job and only takes a little training. You will then be able to order them and install them yourself. LST has resident tooling and will be able to fill your order after Penticton.

Not a hard job to do, as long as you are using the tooling.

Mike

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Put me on the list for a pair of struts. Thanks Mike for setting this up. You do know you need to plan on a trip to Pentiction?????????????????

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put me on the list for a pair of struts. Thanks Mike for setting this up. You do know you need to plan on a trip to Pentiction?????????????????
I will have time, but my bride will not...... I'm not going to Penticton without her.

Mike

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
41,996 Posts
That's OK...... What you need to do is help Steve install a set on someone else's SSR. It's a 5-10 minute job and only takes a little training. You will then be able to order them and install them yourself. LST has resident tooling and will be able to fill your order after Penticton.

Not a hard job to do, as long as you are using the tooling.

Mike
Hi Bruce,

Not to hijack my own thread, but to answer your question.

I'll be at the Nationals to install roof struts.

See you there.

Mike
I think I'd rather watch the master do it!!!;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Springfield in September

Kim and I have planned to go this SSR National Meet also.
I will have 20 Sets on hand in Penticton or more if need be.
The Roof Struts on my truck were replaced just 2 weeks ago and it is a simple operation with the install tool that Mike has designed for this purpose.
Without the install tool, we would be just looking for a problem to occur.
Please make a posting for those of you who wish to have me change your roof struts for new ones in Penticton.

·
Daily Driver
8,897 Posts
I'm not casting aspersions on your abilities, Support Tech, I'm sure you're perfectly competent. And Penticton is a beautiful place, I've been through that area several times. But it is a wee stretch from here, probably four times as far as Springfield. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think I'd rather watch the master do it!!!;)
FYI Rob,
It was in October 2001 when I first started working with pressurizing technology on Gas Struts. Looking back from then to now, and what we do and know today about Struts, it has been a highway of new experience and learning curves to say the least. I will be in Calgary on the 1st of July and the 9th of July also. Stephen.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
41,996 Posts
FYI Rob,
It was in October 2001 when I first started working with pressurizing technology on Gas Struts. Looking back from then to now, and what we do and know today about Struts, it has been a highway of new experience and learning curves to say the least. I will be in Calgary on the 1st of July and the 9th of July also. Stephen.
Hmmmmm there could be struts, steaks and beers!!! :thumbs:glol

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not casting aspersions on your abilities, Support Tech, I'm sure you're perfectly competent. And Penticton is a beautiful place, I've been through that area several times. But it is a wee stretch from here, probably four times as far as Springfield. :)
We will see you in Springfield for sure. Our SSR had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it and 65,000 miles on it now, and hopefully thousands more miles to come, going to these SSR events all over North America.

·
Daily Driver
8,897 Posts
Our SSR had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it and 65,000 miles on it now...
Well no wonder you've racked up so many miles, gallivanting all over creation with these crazy oldage hot rodders. :glol
Looking forward getting my struts done, and to meeting you & Kim.

Pssst, watch out for that Mike guy, he'll work your butt off.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to share some observations after seeing about 80 sets of these changed.....

Universally, everyone that has changed to the new struts has found something improved.. Some noises are gone, some clunks disappeared, some rattles stopped, some moved faster in the up direction, some speak about having the roof balance open at car shows, and most all say that their roof moves smoother.

If you are wondering about how to tell if you need new ones..... Here are some symptoms that you will want to think about:

Does it go "clunk" when lowering? Does it whine or growl when lowering? Does it rattle when the roof is up and locked? Does it no longer balance in the "half open" position at car shows? When you reach down and wipe your finger on the bottom strut mounting point, do you come out with an oily finger?

If you are suspicious about your roof system, this is the time to get those 10 year old struts refreshed with better quality units.

Sorry about the rant without meaningful data included. I expect to have data on the actual pressure loss by the middle of next week. I have almost all of the removed struts to date. There is a lot to learn from them.

Regards all,

Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.