Chevy SSR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penticton Support Tech

4K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  richsadams 
#1 · (Edited)
Penticton Support Tech Roof Struts

I really wanted to come to Penticton again this year, but just can't swing it.

Instead, I have convinced Steve Fenner (Support Tech) to attend the Penticton Rally and install pneumatic roof struts for the SSR owners that will be there. It wasn't hard to talk him into it, since he is such a committed member of the technical community. Steve will be arriving on Thursday and departing on Saturday afternoon. He will be bringing a batch of struts from LST and some of my installation tooling with him.

Steve has been engaged in the roof strut project from day one and is a real proponent of replacing the gas cylinders that help get the roof out of the storage compartment. It's important to do this BEFORE a hydraulic problem shows up.

Please use this thread to sign up for strut replacement at the rally.

Thanks, Steve........

Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
That's OK...... What you need to do is help Steve install a set on someone else's SSR. It's a 5-10 minute job and only takes a little training. You will then be able to order them and install them yourself. LST has resident tooling and will be able to fill your order after Penticton.

Not a hard job to do, as long as you are using the tooling.

Mike

#13 ·
Springfield in September

Kim and I have planned to go this SSR National Meet also.
I will have 20 Sets on hand in Penticton or more if need be.
The Roof Struts on my truck were replaced just 2 weeks ago and it is a simple operation with the install tool that Mike has designed for this purpose.
Without the install tool, we would be just looking for a problem to occur.
Please make a posting for those of you who wish to have me change your roof struts for new ones in Penticton.

#15 ·
I'm not casting aspersions on your abilities, Support Tech, I'm sure you're perfectly competent. And Penticton is a beautiful place, I've been through that area several times. But it is a wee stretch from here, probably four times as far as Springfield. :)

#20 ·
I want to share some observations after seeing about 80 sets of these changed.....

Universally, everyone that has changed to the new struts has found something improved.. Some noises are gone, some clunks disappeared, some rattles stopped, some moved faster in the up direction, some speak about having the roof balance open at car shows, and most all say that their roof moves smoother.

If you are wondering about how to tell if you need new ones..... Here are some symptoms that you will want to think about:

Does it go "clunk" when lowering? Does it whine or growl when lowering? Does it rattle when the roof is up and locked? Does it no longer balance in the "half open" position at car shows? When you reach down and wipe your finger on the bottom strut mounting point, do you come out with an oily finger?

If you are suspicious about your roof system, this is the time to get those 10 year old struts refreshed with better quality units.

Sorry about the rant without meaningful data included. I expect to have data on the actual pressure loss by the middle of next week. I have almost all of the removed struts to date. There is a lot to learn from them.

Regards all,

Mike

#21 ·
If you are wondering about how to tell if you need new ones..... Here are some symptoms that you will want to think about:

Does it go "clunk" when lowering? Does it whine or growl when lowering? Does it rattle when the roof is up and locked? Does it no longer balance in the "half open" position at car shows? When you reach down and wipe your finger on the bottom strut mounting point, do you come out with an oily finger?

If you are suspicious about your roof system, this is the time to get those 10 year old struts refreshed with better quality units.

Regards all,

Mike
Mike:
Roof Questions for the uninitiated.
I have zero problems with my roof, 30K miles now. No complaints no weird noises I am aware of. Inspection shows everything normal/clean/dry. Passes the roof balancing test just fine.
However 11 year old struts, I think I read somewhere they have a 10 year life expectancy, rather be proactive than caught with my roof down.
Is there anything you can do to forestall failure? Cleaning/lubrication, etc?
Is it best to just put this in the maintenance plan because of the cylinder age? One would assume you'd have to replace all of them at once. What's the cost projection on that?
There is a reference to a special tooling needed.
Is that a S.E. loaner or needs to be purchased somewhere?
Thanks,
Cary
04:yellow:

#24 ·
Hi, Steve

Glad you're bringing your technical skills and Mike's engineering to the Beach Cruise.

Please put me down for a replacement set of struts. Due to Beach Cruise registration commitments, my SSR won't be onsite until Saturday morning. I'd like to see them go in, but that will depend on your schedule to get back on the road.

I should be available in the 1 PM or so range on Saturday. If that works for you, great. Otherwise I will have to entrust one of those dastardly SSR owners with my keys. But I will be checking mileage on the truck.:glol

#26 ·
You will have to use your best currency exchange calculator. Here's what I charge:

They are normally $195 USD. That includes shipping of the struts and tools to you and the shipping cost of the return tag included in the box to get the tools back. Since Steve is bringing the tools and the struts directly from LST, the shipping both ways is eliminated. That puts the cost at the rally to be $160 USD.

What does that calculate in $$ Canadian??

Mike

#29 ·
Mike, I think you or Steve should start a thread in the Pacific Northwest forum with a link to this thread.

I suspect quite a few Fanatics don't spend much time on the technical forum.

#30 ·
Mike and Steve ... What is a Girl going to do without NEW STUTS TO STRUT??

Mike & Steve !!!

Please put me down for a NEW PAIR OF STRUTS at Penticton !!!! Having sold my AWESOME H2 HUMMER :willy:, my SSR and Mercedes 450 Smart Car are all I have left in my once Ginormous Fleet of AWESOME WHEELS, and they need to have the LATEST GADGETS !!

Thank you, and by the way, I cannot remember if you took Credit Cards for your work, Steve !!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Sue

#32 ·
The Roof Struts are priced at USD$160 (CAD$195) a pair, and the Black Rear Deck Struts are USD$120 a pair (CAD$145) a pair. Stainless Deck Struts Pair USD$185.00 CAD$225.00
Hood Strut Kits are priced as follows:
Black Pair USD$135.00 -CAD$165.00 - Black Hood Strut Kit (Installed) USD$185.00 CAD$225.00. Stainless Hood Strut Pair. USD$210.00 CAD$255.00
Stainless Hood Strut Kit.(Installed) USD$310.00
CAD$365.00 I will have all sets on hand in Penticton.
Stephen Fenner - Support Tech.

#37 ·
You mentioned being in Calgary in July. Where and how can I get in touch? Am thinking I am a candidate for new struts and may not make it to Penticton.
Also, I have an SSR in Palm Springs, CA that may also need some help. Thanks.
@RVG, this thread is from 2015.

You can find high-quality replacement struts at Simple Engineering:

Contact Mike Moro (@Mike in AZ) here or on that website with any questions.

It'd be great if you can make it to Penticton this year! More here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.