Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

She’s put away for the winter now , but will be needing a transmission in the spring .
Any recommendations on shops that can provide a built tranny ?
yes we have local shops , but the last time I used the “ best” one , the tranny sucked .
Would be nice to find someone experienced with performance built tranny’s
I messaged phoenix transmission, the replay was that they only provide parts , not complete transmissions 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,771 Posts
I messaged phoenix transmission, the replay was that they only provide parts , not complete transmissions 🤷‍♂️
Greg‘s shop built mine. Love it. I drove mine up and dropped it off. As Mike suggests, send yours and getting it back would be pretty straightforward. You wouldn’t be the first SSR person to do it.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick ,
That could well be .

if that’s the case , I may try to find a core , my R still moves. Finding a core in Texas and having it shipped directly to the trans shop would save me time and a little cash.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,309 Posts
View attachment 624054

She’s put away for the winter now , but will be needing a transmission in the spring .
Any recommendations on shops that can provide a built tranny ?
yes we have local shops , but the last time I used the “ best” one , the tranny sucked .
Would be nice to find someone experienced with performance built tranny’s
Sounds like a good time to research the possibility of installing a 6L80E. Might be a bit beyond the budget, but gear spread would be perfect with the original 3.73:1 rear end. Trans and TCM available from GM Performance, but that option ain't cheap. This swap is done in all sorts of resto-mods so I cannot believe it can't be done in an SSR. From pics it looks like fitment would not be an issue, driveshaft mods probably needed. No one has admitted to trying yet that I am familiar with. Electronics, that is integrating with the ECM seems to be the hurdle. If your truck is not an '05/06 it may not be practical as trans function is controlled by the PCM, not a separate TCM.
Mine is a manual so it already has a six speed, thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
As the owner of Phoenix Transmission Products, I can tell you that you contacted a company in Florida with a similar name to ours that only sells parts. We are in no way affiliated and unfortunately this type of confusion happens too often.
you can reach me at [email protected] and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts