Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

My SSR has the following:

• Cam swap and what a pain

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Thank you 4:10 was what I was thinking, you know it to break them loose on dry pavement? And do you know approx RPM cruising 70 mph?
TAD, please know that I have an '04, 5.3 liter SSR. The performance difference between mine and your 6.0 is noticeable. I would think a 4:10 gear, plus a tune, in your 6.0 would break things loose all day long. As for rpm, add 300 to 400 rpm at 75mph.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
TAD, please know that I have an '04, 5.3 liter SSR. The performance difference between mine and your 6.0 is noticeable. I would think a 4:10 gear, plus a tune, in your 6.0 would break things loose all day long. As for rpm, add 300 to 400 rpm at 75mph.
That would be the difference in RPM I hope.

·
Registered
05 aqua blur
55 Posts
Has anyone tried a line lock on a 6.0 with the std. 3:73 gears I worry that these are so heavy it might be best to do the gear drop even with a line lock

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
bump

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Has anyone tried a line lock on a 6.0 with the std. 3:73 gears I worry that these are so heavy it might be best to do the gear drop even with a line lock
If you really want to light up the tires, swap in a 2800-3200 rpm torque converter and if that isn't enough, add some 4.11 or 4.30 gears!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
That is just one (the best) version of a performance tune.
Exactly, and any competent tuner can provide a decent tune for a stock LS2 without strapping it on a dyno.

Reactions: TAD

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I think I broke your poll. At least it told me to only select two. I had gear swap and happy, cam swap and happy, supercharger and happy, custom tune AND engine rebuild. How do I only select two out of those 5?

Reactions: Firetruck

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think they will click on /click off.
Maybe you can count some of those in 2 or more and Like it.
I made it a limit of 4.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
OK, this has been up for over a year and the last entry was nearly a yera ago. Time to bump it to the top. Those of you who have entered your information may have changed something and we have a lot of new members.

Reactions: richsadams

·
BLU SSR
3,610 Posts
I noticed that 6 SSRs have had an engine swap. Would be nice to know at what mileage, why the swap and what was the replacement. Just wondering about details, since failures are so rare.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I noticed that 6 SSRs have had an engine swap. Would be nice to know at what mileage, why the swap and what was the replacement. Just wondering about details, since failures are so rare.
In my case my original LS2 was still performing perfectly at 65K miles. In fact, it's sitting under the bench ready to go back in at any time. I have built competition engines for 40 yrs, but never built an LS based engine, so why not?! So, picked up a Dart block and finished it @ 4.125" bore with a 4" stroke - 427 cu. in. Here she be.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
In my case my original LS2 was still performing perfectly at 65K miles. In fact, it's sitting under the bench ready to go back in at any time. I have built competition engines for 40 yrs, but never built an LS based engine, so why not?! So, picked up a Dart block and finished it @ 4.125" bore with a 4" stroke - 427 cu. in. Here she be.
View attachment 592863
What is the top end of the engine?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I'm using TFS 220cc cathedral port heads, that have good port velocity, to maintain good mid-range power. I'm running 1.8 ratio Crane roller rockers, with some home brewed stud girdles, to add stiffness to the valve train. It's now fully adjustable to enable setting precise lifter preload. Good 2 piece springs with 140# seat pressure and 460# open, with titanium retainers and steel keepers. Lots of higher flowing heads out there, but I wanted to keep the low end grunt along with increased top end power - these do a nice job of both.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'm using TFS 220cc cathedral port heads, that have good port velocity, to maintain good mid-range power. I'm running 1.8 ratio Crane roller rockers, with some home brewed stud girdles, to add stiffness to the valve train. It's now fully adjustable to enable setting precise lifter preload. Good 2 piece springs with 140# seat pressure and 460# open, with titanium retainers and steel keepers. Lots of higher flowing heads out there, but I wanted to keep the low end grunt along with increased top end power - these do a nice job of both.
View attachment 592888
Where is the emoji that indicates "Way over my head" when you want it?

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Where is the emoji that indicates "Way over my head" when you want it?
Hey, be glad that you never caught the engineitis disease - it's way worse than Covid and there ain't no vaccine!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts