Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the discussion about thermostats going on elsewhere, I'm wondering if there is a replacement radiator available that will fit in a supercharged '03 that will keep the engine cooler in track situations? There's not a lot of spare room in there.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
With the discussion about thermostats going on elsewhere, I'm wondering if there is a replacement radiator available that will fit in a supercharged '03 that will keep the engine cooler in track situations? There's not a lot of spare room in there.
Yes...... I have one that is a drop-in.
If you don't have one already, I would HIGHLY recommend the heavy duty cooling fan (MFK2) that is built from a Z-06 cooling fan and the transmission oil cooler (TC-02) for your track usage. It is also a drop-in......

Mike

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Achias,

Use Mikes radiator and fan they are both drop in components. Try that and if you still want more cooling then install an engine oil cooler. I was surprised how hot my oil was getting just cruising around on a 100 degree day. After installing the oil cooler the oil temps dropped 45 degrees. This month I am installing an remote oil filter and engine oil cooler. I will document what we do. From what I read most road race cars have engine oil coolers to keep oil temps under 250 degrees. All that oil heat removed by the oil cooler reduces the heat load on the radiator.

What is your engine coolant temperatures and what are your goals?

What is your engine oil temperatures and what are your goals?

Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Achias,

Use Mikes radiator and fan they are both drop in components. Try that and if you still want more cooling then install an engine oil cooler. I was surprised how hot my oil was getting just cruising around on a 100 degree day. After installing the oil cooler the oil temps dropped 45 degrees. This month I am installing an remote oil filter and engine oil cooler. I will document what we do. From what I read most road race cars have engine oil coolers to keep oil temps under 250 degrees. All that oil heat removed by the oil cooler reduces the heat load on the radiator.

What is your engine coolant temperatures and what are your goals?

What is your engine oil temperatures and what are your goals?

Good luck and have fun.
:|
Just came across the country from Vegas to No. Carolina........thru the mountains of New Mexico and across Texas and Oklahoma and finally the mountains of western No. Carolina. Ran most of the way at 80-85mph in my newly acquired '05 SSR six speed. It had the new radiator fan and aux fan from the Simple Engineering outfit.

On the temp gauge, 210 shows up at 12:00 on the dial. My constant temp for the entire trip remained (all day............every day for 5 days) at a half needle left of the 210 mark.

This is without a "vented" hood..........Not sure how much additional temp may come from a super charged engine, but these two items solved any of the (temp problem) complaints I have noted on this forum.:smile2:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
:|
Just came across the country from Vegas to No. Carolina........

On the temp gauge, 210 shows up at 12:00 on the dial. My constant temp for the entire trip remained (all day............every day for 5 days) at a half needle left of the 210 mark.
Hey moscooter......

What you have witnessed is the SSR cooling system "regulating" correctly at speed. The thermostat was doing a fine job. I can say this because the main cooling fan is shut off at 35mph by the computer, regardless of water temp or A/C system pressure. The Aux Fan has a built-in shutoff at speed because of the temp probe protruding through the radiator into the cooler air in front of it. Your "system regulation point" should be logged into your brain permanently. This is what you will use to judge if something is wrong....... Higher temps below 35mph indicate an airflow (fan) issue. Higher temps above 35mph indicate a system problem other than airflow..... Could be a thermostat, coolant tank, fluid level or radiator issue.....

The 2003-2005 cooling systems should all regulate at an indicated 200-205 on the highway. The 2006 has a "fudge factor" put into the conversion of water temp to digital that moves the needle upscale by a few degrees....... All 2006 SSRs should regulate at an indicated 210 (straight up).

Thanks for the great lead-in to this post.

Regards,

Mike

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Hey moscooter......

What you have witnessed is the SSR cooling system "regulating" correctly at speed. The thermostat was doing a fine job. I can say this because the main cooling fan is shut off at 35mph by the computer, regardless of water temp or A/C system pressure. The Aux Fan has a built-in shutoff at speed because of the temp probe protruding through the radiator into the cooler air in front of it. Your "system regulation point" should be logged into your brain permanently. This is what you will use to judge if something is wrong....... Higher temps below 35mph indicate an airflow (fan) issue. Higher temps above 35mph indicate a system problem other than airflow..... Could be a thermostat, coolant tank, fluid level or radiator issue.....

The 2003-2005 cooling systems should all regulate at an indicated 200-205 on the highway. The 2006 has a "fudge factor" put into the conversion of water temp to digital that moves the needle upscale by a few degrees....... All 2006 SSRs should regulate at an indicated 210 (straight up).

Thanks for the great lead-in to this post.

Regards,

Mike
Hey Mike, I need to do some temp control. Probably up grade the radiator, support and fan.

Stew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts