Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Beware of linking your great photo images to our site can turn out to be very troubling ... why is that? Look what Photobucket is now doing to their members. They are making all their members who host/ link their images to 3rd party sites (like ssrfanatic.com) to be forced to pay $399 a year to be able to link images etc to car forums like ours. I am not going to be held hostage or start paying a large fee to host my images here on our site or any other site! *I have lost many of my older linked images.

That is why I have encouraged many members over the years to use our *Attachment* feature to upload very critical information or even your most favorte photos because one never knows when a hosting website might change their rules, pricing or features and or even go defunct
. :evil:

*I even lost my animated name (Marc) and the SSR banner below. Did anyone happen to download any of them and saved them?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Marc, thanks for the information. Haven't used photobucket for many years. This site is easy to do attachments without using a third party host.

vp

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
Marc I too got the hostage letter from PB that my images would no longer be available unless I upgrade to the premium 500 which would cost me $480 per year. Ain't gonna happen.

It wasn't supposed to effect my accounts till 2018, but i see it has already started.

I've made the decision to down load everyone of my photos form PB accts to my own external hard drive, which took a few days. I do not however have the time to go back through the hundreds of threads I've created over the past 13 years with photos and change them all (which could take months or years). So it would appear that all the useful threads will be defunct.

Adding the thumbnails is ok, but I hate having to open them and then move onto read more of the thread.

If anyone has a small amount of time, it may be worth writing to the FCC and FTC about all the old pictures no longer being available unless a hostage fee is paid. I wrote to them that the new fee/membership or whatever they want to call it should only apply to new accts or photos posted after their effective date and not to all those that have been used during the past 13 years or more rendering all previous threads obsolete without those intended picture aids.

·
OP
8,210 Posts
There are quite a few other alternatives that do not gouge and I host photos on several different sites one of which is photobucket which I will not renew due to this increase.

So keep in mind that there are alternatives that are either free (limited storage) or a much lower cost alternative.

Thanks Marc for posting this warning.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got the email today too. I deleted every one of my PB pictures. If they asked for say, $10 year from everyone, they'd make millions! $400 a year and they'll be gone in a matter of months! Absolutely stupid idea! Who ever came up with this business plan had better update their resume!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use the cloud

Load all your photos to the cloud (there are numerous ones out there). I use LOCKBOX, all images and documents go directly there when I shutdown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts