Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at Homecoming, Ray, the SSR plant manager was kind enough to arrange for me to be able to tour the entire facility on foot with Kim Carpenter (GM Communcations Rep) and Greg Lamming (GM Plant Auditor, and also our own "Rageman", who is also in the "chassis line" photo below!). I was allowed to take photos as long as I did not show anything proprietary (Kim and Greg guided me, and were VERY nice about suggesting good shot angles and subjects).

There will be more photos in my book, but here are 5 that show:

- What your SSR body looks like "in its birthday suit" before paint

- An actual production SSR body with the new blue color available for 06

- The "Calibration SSR" used within the plant to ensure that all adjustments (e.g. alignment, headlight aim) are within specs. THis is a "no VIN" unit

- A production SSR body on the cart that is used to move the body around the plant

- The chassis line, and what your chassis looks like before the body is installed onto it (This is the photo with Greg in it)

During the tour, I was continually impressed with the quality procedures that the SSR plant team is using to try to bring us the very best quality vehicle they can. This is a hard mission, as the SSR is a low volume vehicle, which limits the funds available for special tooling and fixturing, and also requires each plant employee to do FAR more operations on each SSR than they would be expected to do in a higher volume plant (where they might each only have a very few parts to put on). These folks are knocking themselves out to bring us an incredible real American value in today's market. They deserve our support and our thanks!

Enjoy . . .

Jim G

Attachments

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent most of my technical discussions time with Greg, Karl Sieloff, and Rob Ezze. A little time with Ray, and lots of time with Bob Walczyk.

Ray and I hit it off, as I used to be a manufacturing manager for companies like Colgate, Toro, and Cornelius.

Because I had spent about 13 years in manufacturing management, I felt right at home in the plant. The biggest thing that impressed me is that this is actually a very small and personalized plant for an auto company. Most auto plants have to be huge to make the economies of scale work for a complex and costly product. This plant is a sort of miracle, and I told everyone I met at GM how impressed I am that they actually built the SSR. Anyone who has spent time in manufacturing knows that this was NOT easy from ANY perspective.

Jim G

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,947 Posts
Super Photos

Jim,

Thanks for sharing those super photos with us. I know you had a great opportunity to see a lot more when you are actually walking the plant as I did last year. When you take the tour shuttle it is much harder to notice a lot of the finer details.

I can't wait to see your finished product! :thumbs

BTW: I know you were quite busy.... sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you at the Homecoming... :cry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.