Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope you enjoy the pics.The SSR was one of GM's vehicles given out especially for SEMA to be customized,in this case MBRP exhasust products in Canada.I was the custom painter,Ron Gibbs, that did it and also I am from Canada.The SSR got a lot of great intrest at SEMA being featured in the Lexani Wheels booth.You should she it in Truckin' mag. in the future and from what I understand probably a cover too.It was being photographed on location somewhere in the Nevada desert right after SEMA.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sweet! I saw that one there! Lexani was really sporting some bling on the cars this year! Nice flame job! There were soooo many locations to spot SSR's it was like a labrynth!!! There were a bunch with flames, Yours and Godfathers were my favorite flame jobs!! Godfather's SSR was pretty "creative" if ya know what I mean :) Looking forward to seeing your work in the mags.

Our GM issued SSR was themed with the Duntov/Bonneville racer look. They wanted a new bodystyling for it. Our paint scheme was based on the approved plan from GM. Did you get a chance to see it?

Again - great job!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wheels

undefined Well the paint job looks great.But what about some of the other details like the wheels size for front and rear also looks like it was lowered how much and buy who.Like if it was springs air ride what ever lets fill in the blanks for us curious SSR owners thanks Doug. :seeya

·
Registered
180 Posts
Air Ride all the way

Doug; The flamed SSR in this thread was an air ride. MBRP had it done and it was an off the shelf system. Details can be had at www.mbrp.com atten: Martin Barkey.
Martin is the Pres. of MBRP , I was in his shop observing his work on the SSR prior to SEMA, He is one class act. And the paint is wonderful, good work! Hope this helps Scott

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I am really impressed by how you made the subtle blue pinline fade into the flames at the tips and also integrated it into a very fine 1/8" pin or 1/4" pin around the flames. That is tedious work. I love that stuff

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
living2be ,To answer your question a flame job like that would be in the $4-5000.00 range!

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Wheels and Tires

The flamed SSR in the Asanti booth was running 20s front, 22s rear. The rear wheels are a different design, with a thicker spoke than the front wheels - I checked with Asanti, and they do not have a wheel design available in both the front and rear offsets.

The tires were Nitto Extreme ZR 235/35/20 front and 285/35/22 rear.

After checking a lot of wheels at the show, I will likely go with a custom built set of Colorado Customs (I really want a polished aluminum wheel, not chrome) so I can get a 5 spoke wheel with the 6 bolt pattern. That will get me a narrow lip on the fronts, and a 2" deep lip on the rears - just the hot rod look I want, and that GM missed with the factory wheels. I will likely stay with the 19/20 factory size combination. Otherwise, I'd have to go to 35 profile tires, and the possibility of wheel damage from even a small pothole is just too great with those rubber bands.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Wheel photos

Photos of the front and rear Asanti wheels

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wheels

Hey Flassh thanks finally got some info on wheels so seems you have done your homework.But as usual iam still confused so these wheels and size from Lexani are they good road tires or is it these you have to becarful with potholes?.Also do you have pics of the colorado wheels you are talking about.I also ckd with MBRP about the lowering they sent me a reply that they didn't do the actual lowering iam just lost trying to get all the info i can before throwing away big bucks and not be happy so they call it Reserch i guess lol but any more info will be greatly appericated Doug. :seeya

·
Registered
180 Posts
Air by Air ride Technologies

Doug; the flamer in this thread had controls in lieu of an ash tray. On the control panel it reads AIR RIDE TECHNOLOGIES. Martin Barky the owner had work done at Ultimate Drive Line in Lansing Mich. He indicated to me that it was off the shelf ready for our consumption. If you do not have any luck finding info I soon will be driving north to see Mr. Barkey and will get the skinny. The other thing that was worth noting is that this car ( the flamer)has a new rear end and I am not sure if the rear axle is the same width as stock. Be aware this makes the offset possibly different than stock! We should all be aware that most of these guys have no problem changing just about anything on these cars. I would suggest that most of us don't want to rebuild. After watching MBRP at work my hat goes off to these guys. Just not what I want to do. My SSR is a daily driver, the customs look cool but tons of work gets done under the skin to pull these babys off. Caution must be taken buying custom acc. without in depth research. Is that not what this site is all about. We as a group are lucky to have this venue.
Scott Doran #201

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Doug,

I've got the product info on Air Ride, Ground Force, and some ideas on wheels - I'll try to post tonight.

Scott is right about the changes on some of these trucks - several at SEMA had been changed to 5 bolt axles, front and rear - out of range for most of us.

As far as wheels, very little on the market to work on the SSR - different sizes, offsets, and the Trailblazer bolt pattern, so the selection available for full size GM doesn't work.

Coddington, Budnik and Bonspeed were not at SEMA, and neat wheels like the Foose Lusso and Speedster don't have the right bolt patterns, or offsets. Most manufacturers and going after the bread and butter business, and the SSR just doesn't have the numbers to justify the investment in tooling.

That's where the billet guys come in - it's pretty well all custom work, but you can expect to be in the $900 range for a 19 or 20", and possibly $1200 for a 22".

Check coloradocustom.com to see the selection available from them. The one I liked was being introduced at SEMA, so not on the website. (Photo attached) Most of their wheels are built to order, so in those cases, diameter, offset, and bolt pattern can be ordered as needed. They were very easy to talk to at SEMA, and their website has instructions on how to measure backspacing, caliper clearance, etc.

I probably won't be doing anything right away - I'd like to sell the 03, and free up the funds to build a house, then get a 6 speed 06 next fall. If the 03 doesn't go at a reasonable price, I'll hang on to it, and start some mods for next spring.

Ray

·
Registered
186 Posts
[email protected] Ride

Hey Scott @ Flassh i want to thank both of you for your input and time as far as most of the custom stuff you hit the nail on the Head when you say those Sema shows and Cars are nothing but $$$$$$$$ and ya i haven't hit Lotto yet but iam going to start playing lol if i only had a buck to spend lol anyway iam not into all the mods out just trying to get some new ideas and ya as i have been a Harley man all my life but hey i can't compete with Discover Channel either but if we don't have dreams we would just fold up ha ha.Anyway ya as far as chrome not sure about that looks great always Loved chrome but lets face it the silver satin finish is there to stay so really not thinking of breaking up the whole pic.But here is an idea my stereo man gave me i will share he said maybe the Lamberdini doors all you need to do is chg hinges type thing he thinks about !,000 for parts and have to figure out the Labor after done ha ha.Also like our seats are all black well maybe have an upolster maybe like color match the squares in seat like for me black purple black purple now that mod iam taking a little serious as soon as i find a reptacable shop and afforable also lol but it just gives us more to think about and something to do well thanks you guys always interested in new ideas and suggestions Doug. :thumbs

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like

Droool...That is a wicked paint job, and those rims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts