Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would definately opt for the carpeted bed option with the rails installed on the floor and sides of the bed for future plans that change all too soon. The carpeting really keeps stuff from flying around back there, in addition to having the "D" rings on the rails for strapping stuff down with bungie cords.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You get the rails with the base liner also. You can see them in the picture.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Carpetted bed area

I just keep my truck cover folded neatly but loosely in the bed area, and use it as a "bed" for any small to medium items to be carried. If you keep it "loose", it will hold just about any items in place.

I just couldn't see spending the ridiculous amount of money that the carpeted bed treatment costs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Customized bed?

I expect to get moisture in the bed with the rubber seal all around the cover and tailgate having to meet at corners. It's just too much to expect it to completely seal water-tight every time (especially when most admirers don't know to open the tailgate before closing the cover). Carpet might get and stay wet, if you're not careful. I love the retro look of the wood (like) rails that come with the bedliner option, though. I'm thinking of making some oak or walnut rails and adding them to my ABS bed. This wouldn't be very functional and I am not one to do a lot of customizing, but I think it would be great. I think I could always return it to stock, if I decide to later.

Funny thing...my tailgate has carpet even though the bed is not. Mine's not quite like the picture above. Hmmm.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Carpetted tailgate

My tailgate is carpetted, too. My dealer told me that after a certain number produced, and carpet on the tailgate was to be the standard offering.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Bed carpet

The carpet on the tailgate was installed on all vehicles at the start of production due to quality problems with the base plastic cover. This is to change once the plastic item is corrected.

My SSR came with the tailgate carpet upgrade.

I did not get the carpet installed from the factory, mainly due to the moisture problem. I have installed a different type of carpet between the rails only. It looks like the tailgate carpet, but it can be removed should it get moisture in it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
aluminum strips

I am going to make my strips out of aluminum, or stainless, and will brush them up. I think they would match the motif of the running boards and wheels

Not as retro as wood, but kind of a modern variation of same idea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cargo Strips

The cargo strips are available from GM in Satin Chrome. I don't know what they cost in the aftermarket, but new they are a $215.75 option. I found this on GM Canada's web site

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Gee, they only cost me $16.95 at Lowes for the wood, varnish and velcro at Wallmart. I think they look as good or better than the factory. Now metal is another story....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts