Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worndering if anyone knows if anyone makes a pillar gauage pod, i have a 04 ssr and would like to add some gauges, my truck did not come with the console gauage pod and after looking around they are a little pricey. So i thought maybe a pillar pod, but have'nt been able to fine one. If anyone can help, i would greatley appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Just for your information and my personal opinion (which means a lot) is they are mostly for looks. They're stuck under the dash and I rarely look at them and to do so you've got to take your eyes off the road. The temperature gauge sucks, mine works, though and of course they make the console look like a finished product. I actually couldn't tell you what the other 2 are for. The only gauges I am concerned about are the engine temperature gauge and of course the gas gauge. I do know one thing at 78 and here in Middle Tennessee you had better keep your eyes on the road at all times !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
Are you looking for the pod that goes on the floor in front of the consul or the one that is in the A pillar by your eye level by the windshield to the drivers left side?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
When Ilsa's engine was rebuilt following her blown piston (while participating in SCCA's Track Night In America at Blackhawk Farms Raceway), we also added a pillar gauge pod so I could have a transmission temp gauge, vacuum/boost gauge, and (most importantly) a wide band air/fuel mixture gauge. Most likely, Ilsa's mixture went too lean when the piston blew.

I like the gauge pod and I check it a lot. It does cut down on the view significantly, though. We removed the A-pillar trim and sent it in. In a few weeks, they sent it back modified to accept three gauges. Sorry, I don't recall the price, though.

The pic is not very good because I just snapped it in the garage.

Ortiz Custom Pods 3-gauge A-pillar pod
Ortiz Customs Home

Attachments

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
While I will not argue with tennesseecozydog's opinion (that would be very bad) re taking your eyes off the road, replacing the console gauges with Dakota Digital gauges really helps. You still need to take your eyes off the road, but a quick glance at the digital gauges is all that is required as opposed to trying to read the needle position on the OEM gauges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts