Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the pioneer AVIC 8100 or 8200. I am talking to Dave at Unique AutoSound, Temple, AZ.

If you don't want post negatives , please PM.

Thank you,
Jack

·
Spirited driver!
1,407 Posts
I got the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX which is similar but does not have the built in NAV and is about $300 cheaper. I just use the Android Auto for NAV when needed. Pandora works via bluetooth but the Android Auto functions only when physically connected to your phone. I built an inexpensive docking station so I could connect/charge the phone when needed (see here). General performance is fine but it is hard to see the LCD screen when top is down which I expect would be the case with most screens.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
992 Posts
I installed the 8100, with XM and backup camera myself and love it.

FWIW: I chose to do it myself after prior radio swap left the harness hacked up and another amp swapped in. My son loved the thump, but I preferred a more refined sound. Wiring back is now back to stock, proper adapters for the steering wheel, radio to truck, and XM antenna on the retractable top hatch. I didn’t care for the prior XM “zit” in the middle of her forehead.

PM me if you want part numbers, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

Thank you TXNSSR for your reply. I decided to go with the Kenwood DNX893s because I wanted the Garmin GPS.

Jack

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Jack,
I installed a Sony XAV-602BT receiver in my 2005 SSR. I have had it now for over a year and no problems. Also installed was an XM radio module a back-up camera an adapter to make the steering wheel controls work and an adapter to utilize the existing Boss speaker amps and a plug in the glove box to plug in my Ipod. All told it was a $1000 install with all the adapters etc. I opted to forgo the model with the GPS internal to save money. If in the future I want the GPS I can purchase a module for that. It sure beats the original AM/FM + CD player. I hope your install goes smoothly. Enjoy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
With any installation of an aftermarket sound system head unit there a few issues you need to be aware of.
1. Are you doing the installation or having it done?
2. In both cases it is very important that one does not do any modifications to the stock wiring harness. This can be done with the correct wiring harness adapter. This allows one to connect whatever head unit you choose to be connected correctly to the stock speaker system in the vehicle and to also still able to use the steering wheel controls. Also this allows one to be able to re-install the stock head unit if you ever sell the vehicle in the future. Make sure if you have the installation done at a local shop that they follow this rule.

·
AZ SSR Daily Driver
496 Posts
Dave replaced a Kenwood in my truck with the AVIC-7200. Miles ahead of the Kenwood that kept crashing. I love it and can say enough about the expert install by Dave. He knows SSRs.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kenwood

I went with a Kenwood DNX893S. I purchased from Crutchfield. I used their adaptor harness for the steering wheel controls and they did the wiring connections. Everything works Great. I went with the Kenwood because I wanted Garmin GPS.
Crutchfield refunded $125 because they had a price reduction after I ordered the radio. And their tech support is great.

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts