Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know those plasma cut metal signs you see all over the place?

I wanted to make an SSR themed sign and came up with two different designs - one without and one with a border all around it. I got a metal fabricator to make me steel blanks of both designs that he cut out of 16-gauge steel, so they are very sturdy. They are 16 inches wide.

Since I have a Ricochet Silver SSR, I put cut-to-fit brushed aluminum plates behind them to bring out my SSR color. I also painted a back plate in yellow to see how the second design would look for a Slingshot Yellow variety. I made the yellow back panel out of FRP, so it is lighter than the other one.

Here are some pictures. I think they turned out pretty good.

Hand Vision care Product Sleeve Eyewear

Hand Vision care Automotive design Finger Window

Hand Sleeve Gesture Finger Font

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,455 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be glad to make some of these signs for Fanatics, just like the clocks I have made.
Even though I paid him, these made as sort of a favor, so I should check with the guy who makes the blanks to see what he will charge me for real.
It should be reasonable. I will check with him on Monday.
As far as he is concerned, I don't think it matters which of the 2 designs you choose.
The ones I did, I painted with rattle cans. I used "hammered" black and red.
That type of paint seems plenty good enough for a sign and costs practically zilch.
Some people like powder coating and he does that, too, so I will ask him about that but it probably will cost more.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,455 Posts
I would be glad to make some of these signs for Fanatics, just like the clocks I have made.
Even though I paid him, these made as sort of a favor, so I should check with the guy who makes the blanks to see what he will charge me for real.
It should be reasonable. I will check with him on Monday.
As far as he is concerned, I don't think it matters which of the 2 designs you choose.
The ones I did, I painted with rattle cans. I used "hammered" black and red.
That type of paint seems plenty good enough for a sign and costs practically zilch.
Some people like powder coating and he does that, too, so I will ask him about that but it probably will cost more.
Might as well cover all the bases while you are asking!

Reactions: nj6969 and Dr.V

·
High Plains Roadster
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoke this over with my metal guy. We want to go for quality so this sign will be powder coated and have an aluminum back plate vs. plastic.

The "Fanatics" price for one of these signs = $50.

The price is the same whether you want the first sign (the one without a border around the bottom edge) or the second one (with a border around the bottom).

If, like me, you have a silver SSR or if you have a black SSR, a brushed aluminum back plate looks really good. If you have a different color SSR and you want the back plate that color, I will paint the back plate any color you want before I assemble the sign. Once assembled, it will not come apart.

Depending on where it is going, the mailing cost should be between $12 and $24 via Priority Mail. Ground is only a little bit less, takes longer and is less likely to arrive undamaged. FedEx and UPS cost even more.

If you want one of these, send me a PM and tell me which type of sign you want and what you want for the back plate - brushed or a color. To keep the price this low, the blanks have to be done as a group, not one-at-a-time, so I will compile orders before having the blanks cut.

As with my clocks, I prefer payment by check sent via snail mail, not PayPal. I can tell you the total price once I have your address. So far, everyone has paid when I made them a clock -- that shows how honest Fanatics are!

Maybe this thread now belongs in the SSR stuff for sale section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts