Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number of the five plastic clips that hold the spoiler on????????? I ran over a very small tree branch today and it riped the spoiler off.:cool :cool

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Cost

I don't remember the P/N - but I do remember that the cost is more than the cost to buy five stainless steel bolts and aircraft nuts.

Use the aircraft nuts because you don't want to bolt it tightly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 but what are aircraft nuts and where do I find them?:cool :cool

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Clips

Yoy can find stainless bolts and nuts at Lowes and Home Depot . If you use a drop of Loctie on the threads the nuts will not come loose. Must full service body shop suppliers and auto zone ,napa and checkers will cary the clips. (alot less than GM ):seeya

·
Premium Member
19,896 Posts
clips

hey subman,
carl chevrolet has them in stock just tell them where the go there only about 84 cents each there used on all kinds of other gm products

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks. I will check with Carl's:cool :cool

·
Registered
483 Posts
Aren't the clips supposed to be plastic so they'll break off and not damage the steel radiator(?) support if you take a hit that knocks off the spoiler..? My dealer had to order me a Dam as mine had none from the factory, but no clips came with it..The service mgr used a plastic-type fastener anyway..:confused

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
They don't attach to the radiator, which is aluminum.

Typically that kind of fastener is used because it is fast to assemble, and cheap when purchased in bulk. It's only when you try to buy 5 that they get crazy expensive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is a part number...

I have got about 3 sets of these now... lost the air dam and damaged the radiator support last year, knocked the new air dam lose and had to replace the plastic push rivots about 2 months ago, and installed the new air dam from Mike in AZ and it was easier to just cut the old ones off the old air dam. There is a part number for the push rivots but they are too big in diameter... finally had the parts guy go to the body shop and got 5 rivots that fid, and they charged me $1 for all 5. If you get them in the auto store, you get ones that will fit, but have a very large head, and they are about $1 each. I'll have to post the dimensions when I get home... I have an extra one so that the next time I need one, I'll have one for the parts guy to use as a sample.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello,
I just got my new baffle (p/n 15109444) and 5 rivers (p/n 11519444 no good)

Daven is 100% correrct about the plastic rivest being to large. They will not fit in the air dam or frame. I ended up pulling one rivets off a 06 they had on the lot and taking it to parts where they matched it up with some they had in the stock room.

They gave me the 5 rivets and refunded me for the 5 I ordered.

Cheers !
Pretzel~

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
aircraft nuts

Take a ride to your local airport and ask for the parts department. They can get you what you will need. Normally they will carry both stainless and cad plated.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Pins

GM LISTS THE RIVETS AS #11519444 PUCH-PIN,10.0 HEADX26.0,10.0 HOLE, PNL THK 6.2-8.71,NY 6.6 {RAD AIR LWR BFL PUSH IN} IF THESE ARE THE WRONG SIZE PLEASE PM ME WITH THE CORRECT SIZE SO I CAN PASS ON THE INFORMATION TO GM PARTEC SO THEY CAN CHANGE THE CATALOG. THANKS.......MARK:seeya

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,196 Posts
Word of caution.....

The plastic clips are used for two reasons:
1) Ease of installation
2) Mechanical "fuse" to stop damage

If you replace the plastic clips with nuts and bolts, you will surely have a much better mechanical connection. The down side of that is that if you hit something with the air dam, it will break the lower radiator support.:eek That is a $250 piece of composite.

My wholehearted recommendation is to use the plastic clips if you can. They are the "weak link" in the installation, designed to give before the lower radiator support. The fan kit that I build for the SSR has an aluminum bracket bolted to the lower support and I am including a warning in the newest version of the installation instructions. I am also looking to replace the bolt with a plastic fastener......

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,196 Posts
RSSRTOY said:
GM LISTS THE RIVETS AS #11519444 PUCH-PIN,10.0 HEADX26.0,10.0 HOLE, PNL THK 6.2-8.71,NY 6.6 {RAD AIR LWR BFL PUSH IN} IF THESE ARE THE WRONG SIZE PLEASE PM ME WITH THE CORRECT SIZE SO I CAN PASS ON THE INFORMATION TO GM PARTEC SO THEY CAN CHANGE THE CATALOG. THANKS.......MARK:seeya
Mark,

ooh, ooh, ooh------ I know this one......

The measured holes in the lower radiator support and the OEM air dam are 9/32" (0.28125") in diameter. That is equivalent to 7.14375 mm. I have not measured the thickness of the two parts together, but they appear to be a total of 5/16", or about 7.9375 mm.

The push pins that go there appear to be 1/4" diameter or roughly 6 mm.

Do you need more data???

Mike

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a set of 1/4" ones at pep boys last night and found they are not as tight as the factory ones but they will do the job.:cool :cool

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Pins

OK EVERYBODY THE PART NUMBERS ON THE CORRECT PINS ARE #10134407 AS PER PARTEC. THEY HOPE BY THE NEXT CATALOG UPDATE THIS WILL BE CHANGED. I THANK YOU AS WELL AS GM. OH ONE MORE THING THIS IS FOR MIKE IN AZ ARE YOU SURE OF YOUR MESUERMENTS :glol THANKS AGIAN MARK

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
The plastic clips are used for two reasons:
1) Ease of installation
2) Mechanical "fuse" to stop damage

If you replace the plastic clips with nuts and bolts, you will surely have a much better mechanical connection. The down side of that is that if you hit something with the air dam, it will break the lower radiator support.:eek That is a $250 piece of composite.

My wholehearted recommendation is to use the plastic clips if you can. They are the "weak link" in the installation, designed to give before the lower radiator support. The fan kit that I build for the SSR has an aluminum bracket bolted to the lower support and I am including a warning in the newest version of the installation instructions. I am also looking to replace the bolt with a plastic fastener......

Regards,

Mike
i put in nuts and plastic lock nuts and havent come close to hitting anything for it to break off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts