Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We have a customer who has a a flimsy door handle & we've already gone about using the repair kit (customer was not satisfied)

Wondering if any of the community members have some knowhow on how to obtain this part?
It has been discontinued and so our dealer connections have gone out the window on this one haha.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
872 Posts
Hello! We have a customer who has a a flimsy door handle & we've already gone about using the repair kit (customer was not satisfied)

Wondering if any of the community members have some knowhow on how to obtain this part?
It has been discontinued and so our dealer connections have gone out the window on this one haha.

What year is the SSR and which side do you need? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts

Actually, I just ordered a new GM driver side pull handle (#15841788) from a U.S. supplier through Ebay. $129 USD.

Should be here on the Canadian Left Coast next week.

Not as cheap as a fix-it kit available from Dicktator or Mike, but the old door pull did last 16 years. When the new one breaks, it most likely will not be my problem to worry about ... just sayin'

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
984 Posts
Actually, I just ordered a new GM driver side pull handle (#15841788) from a U.S. supplier through Ebay. $129 USD.

Should be here on the Canadian Left Coast next week.

Not as cheap as a fix-it kit available from Dicktator or Mike, but the old door pull did last 16 years. When the new one breaks, it most likely will not be my problem to worry about ... just sayin'
Actually that part is available at 'GM Parts 2U' for $105.17 in the US, but I am not sure that is what they are describing. I think they need the door release handle, not the pull close handle unless it is somehow involved. Can't tell from the line drawing.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Actually that part is available at 'GM Parts 2U' for $105.17 in the US, but I am not sure that is what they are describing. I think they need the door release handle, not the pull close handle unless it is somehow involved. Can't tell from the line drawing.
Bill: Important part of my response was that this long elusive part now seems to be available from several sources.

For U.S. residents there may well be less expensive suppliers for this item.

Unforunately for me, not all U.S. suppliers will ship to Canada, and often if they do, their shipping cost is astronomical. The Ebay choice was the least expensive delivered option, for me.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I could only find the right side on ebay - is the left side also available there?

Mark:
Here is the US supplier Ebay listing for the left pull that I ordered mine from 2003-2006 Chevy SSR Interior Door Pull Handle LH OEM GM 15841788 Each | eBay

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,118 Posts
I don't want to get in your business, but what, exactly, is the issue with the door kit fix? There are collateral issues with the door-linkage that should also be considered and, unless we know what is the concern with the kit (what is happening that is unsatisfactory when the door pull is pulled) the customer may never be happy.
Two additional things to check:
1. Is the slider mechanism located in the door wall (that the door pull tab actuates) firmly seated in the door inner wall? That slider mechanism can pull away from the inside door wall and create a "mushy" feel when trying to open the door.
2. Is the linkage rod that connects the "slider mechanism" the correct length? The linkage bar that connects the door slider to the actual door latch at the rear of the door can become slightly deformed due to all the pulling on it with the door pull handle misaligned (which may be what causes the slider mechanism to pull from its mount in the door wall). If the linkage rod becomes slightly lengthened (due to the 90-degree bend in the bar stretching beyond 90-degrees), then you can reshape the rod with a little elbow grease. The rod needs to be a correct length ... too long and the door won't unlatch when the door handle is pulled (can't unlatch door from inside handle but CAN unlatch door from outside handle) .... and too short will keep the latch mechanism "unlatched" when the door is closed and the door latch will not catch.

Image below is the "slider" mechanism, located in the door wall behind the door pull, into which the door pull tab seats to actuate the connecting rod to door latch assembly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts