Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 SSR with 2200 miles, garage kept and driven a few times a year. Has magnacharger and custom exhaust.

Drove t and got overheated. Towed it to my house and added coolant. Drove to dealer and thought coolant flush and regular maintenance will do the trick. He just called me and said cooling fan has shorted and needs $1500 to replace it.

Your opinion please? Is this common? It's obviously 17 years old and things can geopolitical. I had to give it a jump a few times in the past year and changed the battery. Can that be the cause? Can it be repaired? Part # is 15816298

Also, I think there was a dealer who specializes in buying and selling these. I'd like to sell it so someone can enjoy it. I don't take it out anymore.

Thank you for your time.

Bob

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Id drive it back home and go to Simple engineering web page he has replacement fans better then OEM for less then $400 just drop in and plug in and replace old fan you can do it yourself. Also sells OEM ones too but why pay more for something thats not as good. There are probably other fanatics close by you that can show you how to do it. the dealers just ripping you off.
If you want to talk to him give him a few days to get back home as he is in Texas with about 150 of us at the International Rally. Sounds like your fan went because you havent driven your truck enough, the more they sit around not being used the more seems to go wrong with them.
If your looking to sell it put it up on the forum with pictures, what you have done to it, price etc., there's always someone looking for one on here. Good Luck.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,584 Posts
The fan can be replaced with another one sold by Simple Engineering located in Arizona. Mike has put together a replacement fan that has a shroud and far better fan. Easy to install and no wiring to cut or splice. Price is far less than what your dealer has quoted you. Not necessarily a common problem but does happen. My was driven few miles the first twelve years but failed about 4200 miles. As for a specialized dealer to sell to, yes, but I will let someone one else chime in.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. Is this easy to do? I don't usually work in cars but can follow directions. Who is in Texas? The dealer who buys and sells?

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Hi, Red

Good to see you pop up once in a while.

Busy weekend with the rally happening in Texas, so Mike won't be around till early next week.

Here's a link to his website, and the fans he has available. I went with the MFK-2 Z06 fan that Mike recommends for modified engines, and had a re-tune done lowering the start up temp. The highest quality components are a fraction of what your dealer wants to charge you. Forget about the crappy OEM fan. You can install the replacement at home in less than 30 minutes.

Engine Cooling - Simple Engineering

I can put you in contact with the tuner who did mine when I installed a Magnuson TVS2300.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Is this easy to do? I don't usually work in cars but can follow directions. Who is in Texas? The dealer who buys and sells?
Changing out the fan requires removing the air cleaner assembly to get access, then removing two bolts and the electrical connector to release the fan. The MFK-2 fan requires more current, so an extra connection to the main terminal at the under hood fusebox. Not a major project.

At the moment 150 Fanatics at a rally in Denison, Texas. North Freeway Hyundai is a major reseller of SSRs in Houston.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Flaash old friend. Thank you very much for the info. I'd be contacting him and reading up on all this to be ready for the dealer on Monday.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Hi Flaash old friend. Thank you very much for the info. I'd be contacting him and reading up on all this to be ready for the dealer on Monday.
Mike is probably out of touch for a couple more days. He's in Texas through at least tomorrow before heading back to Phoenix. If you're not too far from the dealership, you might be able to make it home without overheating it. Just need to avoid major traffic to keep the speed up.

If you get the MFK-2, you should not need the auxiliary fan. Mine has never heated up.

·
Ralph and Ruth
2004 SSR
887 Posts
I replaced my fan with Mike's replacement fan, and it was plug and play, very simple plus Mike sends step by step instructions with the fan. Below is a comparison between the Simple Engineering fan and the puny original.

Attachments

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
43,598 Posts
Very simple to install I have probably installed 4 or 5 of Mikes fans besides my own and hand no trouble at all . Did one in a parking lot at one of the rally's. Very few tools needed and the fan slides right in to place.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
In the meantime you can tap on the fan hub which will release the stuck brushes and the fan should work. A dealer showed me how to do this when my first SSR was brand new in 2003. I did this on each subsequent SSR until my replacements arrived from Simple Engineering.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Hi Red.......

There are a couple easy things to check before they jump to the conclusion that the fan is shorted. In 12 years of troubleshooting cooling fans on the SSR, I have never seen one shorted. The failure mode is to have it go open circuit...... Not to a short circuit. NOTE:...... If you put an ohm meter across the cooling fan, it will read about one ohm resistance. Most meters can't tell the difference between one ohm and a dead short.... Based on their claim of a shorted motor, I'm very skeptical about the skill level of the technical staff there.

You need to check the 60 amp fuse at the forward inboard corner of the fuse box. It is the large square yellow one closest to the power steering unit. The anti-lock brakes use an identical fuse that is right beside the fan fuse. You can easily tell if the fuse is blown.

You should also have a look at the main fan connection to be sure it is plugged in properly.

With as few miles as you have, the likelihood of a fan failure is pretty low.

You can call me on my cell if you need to talk about it. I'll be on the road Sunday and Monday, headed back to Phoenix from the Dallas area. If I don't answer, please leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I can.

Regards,

Mike 480-225-2123

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are awesome. Thank you very much. Mike I will check those steps mentioned before jumping on buying one. And if needed will call you for advice /purchase. Thanks everyone else for great advice. It appears that I shine able to change it based on your advice. Will keep you posted.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Dealer Rip OFF

When will these guys ever learn to stop RIPPING off customers? :crying:

Fortunately for you, you have the Forum Family to ask for advise. As a new owner I thought my fan had gone out, brought it to the dealer and was told a new fan would cost $600 + labor to install. Was NOT failure with the forum and had no one to ask to confirm their diagnosis. Paid the $879. ONLY to later learn that my R wasn't over heating @ 215+ degrees in heave traffic, that is NORMAL for this vehicle. This same dealer told me my battery was about to go out so had the battery replaced Not so the ignition switch was bad. Sad all very sad.

I found the forum 4 years after buying my R. Reading the forum several times each week increases my understanding and knowledge of the R. I am so grateful to everyone who contributes their advise and ask questions and especially to those who have dedicated so much time to providing detailed info and offering after market parts to keep us ALL on the road.

Shame on GM and those dealers who rip off R owners. >:)

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
I keep hoping the dealers are not evil, just ignorant about these trucks. Of course it really doesn't matter to us, the result is the same. So we circle the wagons to protect ourselves and help each other. That philosophy has worked here, you can see the difference from other car forums.

Do you think Dicktater has cataloged the fixes, or MikeinAz has researched and supplied stuff impossible to find and better than NOS, or Dragon2U has been fixing our stuff for a pittance, so they could become rich and famous? That's a laugh, they and others have given selflessly, often at their own expense, to make this family great.

Ok, ok, I'll take my soapbox and shut up.:shutup:
But...

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Latest info, the service guy I talked to was not in yesterday and he just called me. He said that they went and gave power directly to the fan, whatever that means, and the fan still didn't start. So I don't know have a choice but trust their diagnosis. I told them I will be picking it up. I'm lost...

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Latest info, the service guy I talked to was not in yesterday and he just called me. He said that they went and gave power directly to the fan, whatever that means, and the fan still didn't start. So I don't know have a choice but trust their diagnosis. I told them I will be picking it up. I'm lost...
The main cooling fan is easy to change out. Simple tools and an easy-to-follow single sheet of instructions.

You have two really good choices......

#1) Order a new fan for about $350 plus a little shipping

or

#2) Call me (480-225-2123) and I can explain what is going on..... and then you can select choice #1

Regards,

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
The main cooling fan is easy to change out. Simple tools and an easy-to-follow single sheet of instructions.

You have two really good choices......

#1) Order a new fan for about $350 plus a little shipping

or

#2) Call me (480-225-2123) and I can explain what is going on..... and then you can select choice #1

Regards,

Mike
^^^what Mikey said! Don't know what I would have done without one of his fans in this desert heat. My OEM failed early on and it was replaced under warranty but yanked it out and put in Mike's as soon as I could...its been a lifesaver.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts