Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this letter from Wildcat but really htought we should share it with this community as a whole.

I realize, Marc, that this is not a SSR National Event, nor is it a GM National Event, but it is a National Event, and I firmly believe it belongs here.

The Pledge of Allegiance

Red Skeleton did this so very well, and it is definitely worth listening to.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Saw this on tv a long, long time ago. It was very moving then also. I have a preschool/daycare and we say the Pledge every morning. Even my two year olds know most of the words, although I do get some very funny variations sometimes.They are proud to be able to do this and I hope that pride stays with them throughout their lives.:flag

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,202 Posts
Showed this to the kids

They both wanted to copy the web address and bring it to school for their teachers to view.

Thought it would be good to have the principles play it over the intercom some morning when they're ready to say the Pledge before class starts.:cool

·
Registered
487 Posts
FUZZY said:
They both wanted to copy the web address and bring it to school for their teachers to view.

Thought it would be good to have the principles play it over the intercom some morning when they're ready to say the Pledge before class starts.:cool
Can they do that in WI??

Our here in CA we get the stripped down or the non existant version unless they are in private school.
I just pulled my girls out of private and they start in public school on March 2nd. (just can't take 3 hours on the freeway each day!!) It wasn't too hard to find a school out here without the "I hate Bush" stickers on the cars because Corona is generally a conservative town with conservative values. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Still I'm concerned that our Pledge of Allegiance doesn't have the weight it once had.
Our kids should be taught to stand up and say it like they mean it!

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
I remember watching Red as a kid and loving his stuff. This was great.. Focks, thanks for sharing it with us. It's something worth listening to more than once

:thumbs :flag

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Awesome Reminder

I know it's not memorial day yet, but I can't help thinking of the multitude who have given their lives, and the many who at this very moment who are putting theirs in harms way, that we may continue to recite those awesome words. Thanks Focks, and thanks to our trrops everywhere. If anyone wants to send a personal thanks to the troops here's a website:

http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/index.aspx

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I have to say that I am proud of my kids, even when the Pledge or Anthem is on TV they stand with their hands over their hearts.!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
:flag :flag :flag
No one ever explained it better than Red did. I wish that some Judge would have the balls to play the recording for that fine dumba** that started this whole mess about the PLEDGE.
:flag :flag :flag

·
Registered
442 Posts
Red was the most talented person I am aware of EVER! His physical prowess was absolutely amazing .... and his TIMING!!!! I truly enjoyed this and thank ya'll, but what makes it good is the fact I VOLUNTARILY enjoyed listening to it. I disagree with Joe above, about making kids do this. Hell, when we said it we had no clue to what pledge or allegiance meant and who are we to force a kid to pledge their allegiance to any one or any thing? Smacks of Hitler to me. This HAS to be voluntary to mean anything. The addition of the two words? Not enough that the majority likes that. We need to respect the rights of the minority and not expect them to go along with changing this patriotic pledge into something of a religious meaning and yes! it IS a religious pledge with those two words added. Now, John317 says we should support the troops. We need to do more than put a ribbon on the back of our vehicle to do that. We need to not sacrifice their young lives for anything other than the most serious and correct reasons and I contend that Vietnam II/Iraq is far from that. As a father of two in the military (one has served two tours over there already and the other is going this spring), and at least two more might be, it might sound like my dislike of Iraq/Jr.'s war is because of a concern for them. Maybe, but it is mostly because what I am hearing from our "leaders" is what we heard over 40 years ago. Same thing! "We are just there long enough to train the people until they can defend themselves". Yeah, right.... We are training forces for their upcoming civil war. The two Muslim factions are having at it in small skirmishes now and it will get ugly as soon as we are not between them. Anyway, I lost a LOT of friends in Vietnam. I was a Marine officer and we averaged a 30 day lifespan over there. Today, looking back on the first Vietnam, we understand they died in vain. I know that years from now, we will think the kids dieing today died in vain and hopefully this country is coming to its senses quick enough that we get out of Iraq/Vietnam II before we lose another 59,000 and build another wall in D.C. I support what we are doing in Afghanistan and know that effort could be better if we had not diluted our forces into Iraq/Vietnam II, The Mexican military has invaded our country 300 documented times in the last 20 years in support of drug cartels and yet our military still is not defending our southern border. Support the troops? HELL YES!!! ...and support our country too by bringing them home from Iraq/Vietnam II to defend THIS country! I will go take my meds now and maybe a nap, too.....

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Pledges by definition must be voluntary . . . .

Danko said:
Red was the most talented person I am aware of EVER! His physical prowess was absolutely amazing .... and his TIMING!!!! I truly enjoyed this and thank ya'll, but what makes it good is the fact I VOLUNTARILY enjoyed listening to it. I disagree with Joe above, about making kids do this. Hell, when we said it we had no clue to what pledge or allegiance meant and who are we to force a kid to pledge their allegiance to any one or any thing? Smacks of Hitler to me. This HAS to be voluntary to mean anything. The addition of the two words? Not enough that the majority likes that. We need to respect the rights of the minority and not expect them to go along with changing this patriotic pledge into something of a religious meaning and yes! it IS a religious pledge with those two words added.

Imagine me agreeing with Danko. :) Have to do it. He's absolutely right. Forcing someone to make the pledge defeats the entire idea behind my America. The founders of our great country knew the absolute disaster that inevitably follows whenever Gods or religions get political power (look around at the mess in Afghanistan, Iran, King George's England, the Christian Crusades, etc).

Now, John317 says we should support the troops. We need to do more than put a ribbon on the back of our vehicle to do that. We need to not sacrifice their young lives for anything other than the most serious and correct reasons and I contend that Vietnam II/Iraq is far from that. As a father of two in the military (one has served two tours over there already and the other is going this spring), and at least two more might be, it might sound like my dislike of Iraq/Jr.'s war is because of a concern for them. Maybe, but it is mostly because what I am hearing from our "leaders" is what we heard over 40 years ago. Same thing! "We are just there long enough to train the people until they can defend themselves". Yeah, right.... We are training forces for their upcoming civil war. The two Muslim factions are having at it in small skirmishes now and it will get ugly as soon as we are not between them. Anyway, I lost a LOT of friends in Vietnam. I was a Marine officer and we averaged a 30 day lifespan over there. Today, looking back on the first Vietnam, we understand they died in vain. I know that years from now, we will think the kids dieing today died in vain and hopefully this country is coming to its senses quick enough that we get out of Iraq/Vietnam II before we lose another 59,000 and build another wall in D.C. I support what we are doing in Afghanistan and know that effort could be better if we had not diluted our forces into Iraq/Vietnam II, The Mexican military has invaded our country 300 documented times in the last 20 years in support of drug cartels and yet our military still is not defending our southern border. Support the troops? HELL YES!!! ...and support our country too by bringing them home from Iraq/Vietnam II to defend THIS country! I will go take my meds now and maybe a nap, too.....
I can't agree with the Vietnam/Iraq comparison, however. We interveened (incorrectly in my opinion) in a civil war in Vietnam to simply show (in Secretary of Defense, McNamarra's words much later) that we were willing to sacrifice any number of our young boy's lives to stop the spread of Communism. A ghastly error ! ! Communism is its own worst enemy (example, "the former" U.S.S.R. circa 1989).

Iraq, through its leader, Saddam, had WMDs, paid the families of HAMAS suicide bombers for their "sacrifice", attempted to assassinate a former American President, was in violation of a previous "cease-fire", was in violation of 17 U.N.Resolutions, and wouldn't have thought twice about killing millions of Americans had he been given the chance. He had to go, period. I only wish that the soldier that was about a second away from throwing a grenade down that spider hole, wouldn't have hesitated. I quite agree, if once the Iraqis are back on their feet and they can't resolve their differences with civility that's not our problem. We must get out of there.

For what its worth it took us 13 years to agree on a constitution after having declared our independence. These things take time, especially with people who for the most part are historically accustomed to settling their differences with the sword. I have friends who have served in Iraq and all tell me we just can't imagine how much the average Iraqi appreciates us. How much good is being done there in spite of the media onslaught painting it so negative. If this "experiment" succeeds (I personally don't think it will), 20 or 30 years from now George Bush will be considered the Abraham Lincoln of the Middle East as freedom has a way of spreading to those that don't have it. All the little tin horn dictators that run this area of the world, will do there best to prevent that from happening. :mad

This "war" is going to go on for decades, folks. Until we kill every last one of these basturds that have hi-jacked the Muslim religion and convinced their followers that "God" wants them to "rid the World of the infidels" (a common expression used in the Christian Crusades in the 16th century, by the way, in which 100s of thousands of Muslims were murdered)

If anything should be "mandatory", every American should be made to view the tapes of those beautiful Twin Towers collapsing EVERY DAY, until those murderous basturds are wiped out, like the plague. :mad

Incidentally, I loved Red Skeleton. Tears come to my eyes when I think of rolling on the floor in laughter with my Dad, watching his show in "snowy" black and white television. As Danko said, he was a true master of comedy timing. Always loved that part of any skit when he would look directly at the camera and say, "I'd love to tell yah", indicating he had a great off color joke that the censors wouldn't allow, but everyone knew just exactly what he was probably thinking.:glol

Sorry for my rant.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Gary, There are many bad men in this world but that does not mean it is our responsibility to take them out unless they are a threat to us. We were lied to as to why we illegally invaded Iraq/Vietnam II, but then Jr. later said it was because Saddam was bad and had thousands of his own people killed. We have now lost thousands in Iraq, so by using Jr.'s definition, he too is a bad man (and you never see his kids or those of Cheney, Kerry or Kennedy being sent there). Cuba is much closer and we never took out their bad man. Iraq was not harboring those that attacked us until AFTER we invaded them. Yesterday's news shows Iraq is becoming embroiled in a civil war. Are you seeing more of a parallel to the first Vietnam yet? Our commanders there have been saying all we are doing is training Iraqis for their upcoming civil war. All of our kids that died in Vietnam ( a LOT of my friends!!! ) died in vain. All those dieing in Iraq/Vietnam II are also dieing in vain and if you do not see that today, you will. You have friends that have been there. I have children in the military. What will you truly think if you lose some friends? I suggest your opinion may change over time as this country's has about the first Vietnam. Your comments about the infidels is another example of why I call this battle "Ongoing Crusades." We have no business in Iraq. Afghanistan? YES! We need to put OUR country first and plug the holes in OUR borders and care more about the people in OUR country. I truly care not if some Iraqis are happy we are there. What I care about are the people of THIS country that could be helped by the money we are spending overseas or at least from a tax cut that we could afford if we were not defending everyone else. Tell me... Why are we in Korea, Japan and Germany defending them for free while their countries and auto industries benefit from those savings and take away our manufacturing jobs? Now, getting back on track.......... Listen to the pledge and think about the country referred to. It does not mention supporting the leader of the Free World or invading other countries. It is about defending OUR country and the way we pick fights it is no wonder half the world hates us. Yes, the Twin Towers was tragic. What it was not though is a good excuse to attack half the world and throw this country into a patriotic frenzy against millions NOT responsible for that attack. Jr. has successfully convinced too many that Iraq/Vietnam II is somehow linked to that attack. It was/is not! We do agree on something ..... SSR color. Time for my meds........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts