Chevy SSR Forum banner

Polished & Plated 145 amp Alt.

3K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Alex05SSR 
#1 · (Edited)
Have found a source for GM alt. 145 amp and 200 amp. available in Polished, Polished & Plated, And Black Powder Coat....... If there is enough interest.....they might work the fanatic members a deal.......We'll see......as they are working on it. More soon..... :seeya

#2 ·
whitewolf: THis would be a big plus for underhood appearance. I think a lot of owners would spring for it if the price is not ridiculous.

The 200 amp option is also nice for those of us running underdrive pulleys with our 4.56 gearing. The 200 amp version would certainly require more engine power to drive than the 145, BUT a lot less power than driving ALL the accessories at stock speed.

The 200 amp output is 38% higher than the stock 145, which nicely compensates for the 25% underdrive pulley system. :)

Jim G

#7 · (Edited)
Jim....Did you call them?

I did call them to start with.......Talked to Bud at ext 203........Gave the application .......And told him it had to meet GM specs for the SSR.....He called me back after checking it out and gave me the info I posted in the room........Now thats all I can tell you........If you have any questions......Why don't you call him.....it doesn't cost a dime........use their 1-800 # Buy the way did anybody else call them????????

#9 ·
Price and part#

Yes I sure did.......But at this point am not gonna say a word.........Bud is supposed to call me back about the possibility of a better price......But from what he has read in here .......I wouldn't blame him if he didn't bother.......Intrest from 3 or 4 people won't cut it.......Am going ahead and get mine........and let it go at that........ :rolleyes:

#11 ·
I've got the Tuff Stuff alternator installed on mine. It's identical to the stock unit, with all the markings ground down.

Polishing was pretty good, although I did take it apart and did a little more clean up work. Sucks to be so fussy.

Ray

Attachments

#33 ·
Program or Computer Controlled?

I was looking to purchase one, but the installer backed out becuase the alternator required programing or was controlled by a computer?

Just wondering what's up with that? Looking to make a purchase but maybe I need to go somewhere else for the install.

#12 · (Edited)
???????????

JIM. How do you know what I told him????????Was not born yesterday!For you information.......I never mentioned Chevy smallblock !..........What I did tell him was I needed a Alt. for an SSR 2005 to be exact....(And by the way, just how many different engines did they put in the 2005 SSR??????)........It had to meet GM specifications for the SSR. And the rating the same. He checked this out and called me back with the info.........Which is what I listed in the thread......and from what I see here Flassh already has one.........Anymore questions......... :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Thanks - I had purchased a Tuff Stuff for my 99 Sonoma, and was pretty happy with that one.

I haven't gone any further yet. We just started building a house, so that will cut into my project time for a while. I will gradually disassemble things under the hood, and polish more pieces. The alternator brackets and throttle assembly are just begging to be redone.

The pulley is a Zoops part, and looked cleaner than the chromed stock pulley supplied by Tuff Stuff.

Ray

#17 ·
Whitewolf: Don't get mad at me for just trying to help. I am continually astonished at how many people don't realize that the V-8 engines in the newer GM vehicles are a brand new design completely different than what was called the "smallblock". I was trying to ensure that others, not just you, don't end up with a situation like the following real life cases others have PMed me about:

- Dealer sold SSR owner a set of headers. Owner spent hundreds getting his local shop to TRY to install them, and when called manufacturer of headers in frustration, learned that they do NOT fit the SSR

- Local shop wanted to "add posi-traction while we are at it" when quoting to do a rear axle ring and pinion change, apparently not realizing that the SSR already comes with the (superior) Torsen differential

I emphasize: these are both true recent stories I've been told about.

I realize an alternator is a much easier install to attempt, but there's still alot of inconveneince to both buyer and dealer if the wrong one is sent. Because the SSR is my only current GM product, I can't step out to the garage and see physically if the smallblock and Gen III altenator are the same or different in size, clearance, and mounting, so I just tried to warn people to VERIFY before ordering.

If I offended you, I apologize.

Jim G

#18 · (Edited)
Info......

I realize you don't know me.......or my experience.......But have been building and racing "smallblock chevy's" since 1957.........so have been at it for a while.......Also involved with Chrysler factory and Ford factory racing. Since I'm and old fart and retired...... I still try to keep my hand in, so to speak......The information that I put in threads in this forum is checked out with the people in the business, (mfg.and or suppliers)and even these people make mistakes.......But when it comes from the horses mouth, thats about as good as you can get..I doi't rely on web sites as they are hardly ever up to date..........Old addage------When you stop listening, your stop learning.......and I learn something new everyday....I try to talk to these people , one on one. The phone is the best. I don't mind spending a dime, to save myself a 100.00 worth of trouble......If you guess or presume.......it will end up costing you in the longrun.....I know, been there, done that......It's called learning.

#20 ·
I got one.

Did not want to wait as he only had one left in stock. I got the 145 chrome. He claimed it looks nicer than the polished alum.

Any luck on a polished throttle body yet?

Price, 330.00 + 15.00 shipping. WOW but I am tired of looking. I wanted the MSD, but not available yet.

scott

#21 ·
Ray,

Your engine compartment looks perfect, with just the right amount of "Bling"! :thumbs

Flassh said:
I've got the Tuff Stuff alternator installed on mine. It's identical to the stock unit, with all the markings ground down.

Polishing was pretty good, although I did take it apart and did a little more clean up work. Sucks to be so fussy.

Ray

#23 ·
I get the feeling and I think that others do also, that you are the authority on everthing-at least this is your thinking. And we are the little kids that you keep correcting on everything.

JimGnitecki said:
Whitewolf: Don't get mad at me for just trying to help. I am continually astonished at how many people don't realize that the V-8 engines in the newer GM vehicles are a brand new design completely different than what was called the "smallblock". I was trying to ensure that others, not just you, don't end up with a situation like the following real life cases others have PMed me about:

- Dealer sold SSR owner a set of headers. Owner spent hundreds getting his local shop to TRY to install them, and when called manufacturer of headers in frustration, learned that they do NOT fit the SSR

- Local shop wanted to "add posi-traction while we are at it" when quoting to do a rear axle ring and pinion change, apparently not realizing that the SSR already comes with the (superior) Torsen differential

I emphasize: these are both true recent stories I've been told about.

I realize an alternator is a much easier install to attempt, but there's still alot of inconveneince to both buyer and dealer if the wrong one is sent. Because the SSR is my only current GM product, I can't step out to the garage and see physically if the smallblock and Gen III altenator are the same or different in size, clearance, and mounting, so I just tried to warn people to VERIFY before ordering.

If I offended you, I apologize.

Jim G

#24 ·
Authority...not hardly

Authority.....not hardly......but I do my best to find out things that will help other members........If you don't want my info......ok..... I will find these things out and keep them to myself.........Makes me no difference....... :seeya

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.