Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to pop out the aux switch on the driver's side?
I want to tie into it for a "hot" wire to wire in my under the dash lights.

Thanks in advance!

GR

·
OP
8,226 Posts
?

Which switch are you speaking of? I can check the repair manual to answer if I know what you mean.
Also I would like to know how you wire the lights as I want them on when I open the doors and also as you are proposing.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm sure he has nothing else to do, but

Mike in AZ could probably help. He told me once which wire to tap on the passenger side that is part of the door switch circuit. (Of course, I didn't do it at the time, and I've slept since then, so all bets are off from me. :jester ) That could maybe accomplish the under-dash light part. What say, Mike?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Four Choices Here

Ghostrider,

There are four possible types of power for your lighting. They are:

1) 12vdc full time direct to the battery through a fuse. Does not ever shut off.
2) 12vdc "Inadvertent Power" that is turned off after 10 minutes. This is the circuitry that shuts off the rear cargo lamp if you leave the lid open.
3) Variable voltage that is from the instrument panel dimmer. This has limited additional current load available. Dot poewered except at night when the lights are on.
4) Variable voltage that dims after the door is closed. This is connected to the theater lighting in the mirror. This also shuts off if you leave a door standing open too long.

My choice would be for #4, but it depends on what you want to do with it.....

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under Dash Lights

I've wired light strips under my dash on each side, I've also wired a "switch" under the dash to turn on and off the lights figuring that any power source that I tapped into would be consistant. I wanted to run the power off the power plug or accessory plug above my right knee on the dash, since I never use that one. How do you pop the plug out? I don't want to take the entire dash off to get to the back of the plug, and it's too small to go behind the plug to access the wiring that way, so I though maybe it could pop out and I could access it easier once it was out.
Anyone do this?
Thanks!

GR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts