Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the pros and the cons of a polished and ported throttlebody I’m having my car tuned in Maggie Valley next week and I am not sure if I need a ported and polished throttlebody or not

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,139 Posts
A lot of guys say it doesn't really do anything for the 5.3 because of the size of the opening in it now, I just had my 04 done in Daytona by Jeremy a lot better performance and get up and go, verdict still out on MPG improvement will check that on the way down to Maggie

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The 05-06's need the throttle body P/P. As for the 03-04's no it is not a dramatic change as in the 05- 06's. For the 03-04's you do need to do the coolant bypass on the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,984 Posts
There is a pretty high dam that restricts the air flow in the 05-06'. Grinding this down does make a significant difference. I had Jeremy switch out the throttle body and tune mine in Daytona. The throttle response is much quicker and when it changes gears it "launches" like never before! Fuel economy has decreased but that's because its so much fun "launching" that LS-2 ???

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
I don't know that it could hurt. I agree that it makes a significant difference in the 6.0.

I didn't notice any change in mileage, but it did in the throttle response. I had it "tuned" soon after.

Dave

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does anyone by chance have pictures of the ported and polished stock throttle body for the 6.0?

Topspin has suggested swapping in a C6 (previously said C5, which was my mistake) throttle body instead and just looking to see what the differences between approaches would be.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Does anyone by chance have pictures of the ported and polished stock throttle body for the 6.0?

Topspin has suggested swapping in a C5 throttle body instead and just looking to see what the differences between approaches would be.
Picture. Only one I have if you can look at OE, you will see difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts

Topspin has suggested swapping in a C5 throttle body instead and just looking to see what the differences between approaches would be.
Not a C5, but a C6 from LS2/LS7 Vette.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Topspin-

If you got the C6 TB, just bolt it on? Nothing else required? Or does it still need to be P/P? Who does that? I have a tune from Joe (in CA) 5 or 6 years ago, after I had my rear-end changed at a tech day (or the day before actually).

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Topspin-

If you got the C6 TB, just bolt it on? Nothing else required? Or does it still need to be P/P? Who does that? I have a tune from Joe (in CA) 5 or 6 years ago, after I had my rear-end changed at a tech day (or the day before actually).
It's a plug and play, though tuning will maximize the benefits of the additional air flow.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,694 Posts
I see a lot of folks on this site doing modifications, does anyone actually put their truck on a dyno after the modifications have been made? I'm not talking superchargers or stuff like that, but polishing, porting, and that kind of stuff. I would have to be damn sure it would make a difference on a dyno before I'd turn anyone loose with a dye grinder or polisher on my throttle body, intake plenum or fuel injection. Back in another life, I was involved with Snowmobiles. Everyone had their own take on how they could improve on manufacturers engineering. A fellow in New York State bought a dyna-flow dyno, and would check out the difference some of the engine/performance mods actually made to the horsepower, and performance. In many cases Horsepower actually went backwards!!!!! Thus the saying, "don't change what it took 20 aliens to engineer"!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Gordy,

I agree. Wondering if anyone has done what you suggested, such as Mike, etc. Since people are saying it doesn't make a difference on the 5.3, there must be some knowledge? Or a canadian might say, eh?:grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Un restricted.

The C6 does not have the "restrictive plate". If they are plug and play, then I would think that would be a very viable alternative.

I would think you could get one for $150 to $200.

I would recommend a tune at either way.

Dave

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,485 Posts
I have searched and searched the interwebs and can not find any place that puts a number showing any increase for a ported or polished throttle body. For me I think I would save my money and spend it on something else. I think the tune is worth the money but not the throttle body polishing.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,055 Posts
It's a plug and play, though tuning will maximize the benefits of the additional air flow.
Correct me if I'm Wrong but the 03-04 TB is 3 bolt and the 05-06 6.0 is four bolt. So the Vette TB is only PP on the 6.0 without an adapter.
Greg

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
In all honesty, there's really not a lot to be had in t. body changes/mods on a stock LS2. If a cam, header, intake swap are in your future, then the C6 or ported t. body may benefit you. The factory did a bunch of development on the TBSS/SSR intake t. body combo. That lump in the t. body is definitely there for a reason and enhances flow through the stock intake manifold. Yes, porting that out will help low throttle opening response, but at the expense of a few WOT hp. In effect you make the truck t.body into a C6 t.body. So, either one will accomplish the same goal - give you a better seat of the pants feeling, with proper tuning.

Greg, you're correct on the bolt pattern difference. In my opinion there's absolutely no reason to adapt the 90mm t. body to the stock 5.3 engine/intake. Either upgrade to the LS2 intake, or stick with the stock t. body.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Ok Ken, you opened the door so I will ask the question on everyones mind..... Which intake? LoL
I'll bump the thread "LS6 Intake Manifold and TB on 2003 SSR" - there's a lot of intake discussion there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts