Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum ,and noticed quite a few rear end gear changes ; but no one mentions changing the carrier to a posi or limited slip. Am I missing something?

'05 silver auto - DDoug

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
Welcome!

They are all Posi/Limited Slip

G80 - LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL-REAR AXLE
GT4 - REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,299 Posts
I am pretty sure that the limited slip use on automatics is not the same as the positraction used in the manual transmission version.
I believe he is looking for "true posi" carrier.

Welcome to the forum from central Ohio.
I am sorry I can't help you with this but I am sure somebody will chime in with assistance.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
I guess I am missing something, which is not unusual! HaHa!
Every SSR has the G80 RPO, so they are all limited slip, not sure what he wants to change that to.

Torsen is the 6sp diff (9.5" - 14 bolt) - American Axle for the automatic (8.6" - 10 bolt)

Aren't we just talking about gears here?
Am I digging the hole deeper?

EDIT - Topspin is correct - I changed my gears - got my bolts and inches mixed up! HaHa!
I will edit mine as Ken has corrected me

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I guess I am missing something, which is not unusual! HaHa!
Every SSR has the G80 RPO, so they are all limited slip, not sure what he wants to change that to.

Torsen is the 6sp diff (14") - American Axle for the automatic (10")

Aren't we just talking about gears here?
Am I digging the hole deeper?
OK $, you got some of it right, but are starting to muddy the water somewhat.

Yes, both axles come with limited slip differentials. All autos are 8.6" ring gears, with 10 bolt covers and Torsen limited slip differentials. All 6 speeds are 9.5" ring gears, with 14 bolt covers and Eaton limited slip differentials.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,899 Posts
Cash is correct, I think, they are all Limited slip. Posi-trac, Limited slip, Sure Grip are the same thing/result. Torsen is the Manufacturer, but it is a Posi-trac/ Limited slip, I think, with a different method but same result?? Ha! Does that make sense???

Nick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your insight ; the old school method of checking for an open non posi set up was to turn one wheel and notice which direction the opposite wheel turned. If it turned the other direction ; it was not posi or limited slip, same direction was posi. My '05 turns opposite. So - I checked the tag ; and it does have a G80, so my rear end clutches are worn out?

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
Topspin is correct - I wasn't thinking - got my bolt numbers and diameters confused.
I have changed my rear gears, so not sure where my mind went. Sorry about that
I have edited an earlier post of mine with corrected information - too not "muddy the waters" - thanks Topspin
Hopefully DDoug can sort through this

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
You know I got to thinkin - best to try out some asphalt after the rain stops. Hope I see 2 black streaks. That will answer my question !
Turn off the traction control , step on the brake ,put in drive, apply gas and the permagrin will show up .
Enjoy your first burnout ! Dave

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I'm new to this forum ,and noticed quite a few rear end gear changes ; but no one mentions changing the carrier to a posi or limited slip. Am I missing something?

'05 silver auto - DDoug
The gear change on my ‘03 was done a couple of weeks after TruckNRod’s ‘05 by the same shop. They strongly recommended that I change the posi gearing on mine. They did not, however, make a similar recommendation to TruckNRod. I can’t really remember what they told me the difference was but surely (not calling anyone Shirley) it had to be related to the difference between the ‘03-‘04 (8.5”) and the ‘05-‘06 (10.5”).

·
Daily Driver
8,980 Posts
Thank you all for your insight ; the old school method of checking for an open non posi set up was to turn one wheel and notice which direction the opposite wheel turned. If it turned the other direction ; it was not posi or limited slip, same direction was posi. My '05 turns opposite. So - I checked the tag ; and it does have a G80, so my rear end clutches are worn out?
The Torson has no clutches, that's the beauty of it. It's all gears and doesn't wear out like the posi clutches.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,319 Posts
There are no clutches in a Torsen rear axle......

If you want to understand the positraction unit that is in every SSR with an automatic transmission.... Do a search on the internet for “Zexel Torsen” and read up on what is installed. In an operational nutshell....... when there is no power being transmitted through the pinion gear, the Torsen unit acts as if it were an open differential. That changes when you start adding torque to the input pinion. With high torque conditions, the Torsen unit will seem as if it were a live axle with no differential action at all. If you have enough power to spin tires, you will notice that BOTH tires spin. If you have an abundance of power, you can leave a matching pair of long marks.

Note to drivers in the rain..... The high torque situation above tends to cause tires to slip when making a corner in the rain under power. This is the only drawback I can see about the Torsen.....

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
There are no clutches in a Torsen rear axle......

If you want to understand the positraction unit that is in every SSR with an automatic transmission.... Do a search on the internet for “Zexel Torsen” and read up on what is installed. In an operational nutshell....... when there is no power being transmitted through the pinion gear, the Torsen unit acts as if it were an open differential. That changes when you start adding torque to the input pinion. With high torque conditions, the Torsen unit will seem as if it were a live axle with no differential action at all. If you have enough power to spin tires, you will notice that BOTH tires spin. If you have an abundance of power, you can leave a matching pair of long marks.

Note to drivers in the rain..... The high torque situation above tends to cause tires to slip when making a corner in the rain under power. This is the only drawback I can see about the Torsen.....

My two cents,

Mike
What a great way to explain it, thanks Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts