Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my wife's 03 SSR, the "service brake light and message" as well as the "ABS" is coming on. No adverse affect on anything.
After all that I have read, it appears to me that possibly the ABS module solder joint could be bad.
I have the heat shield on it, but not until 104,000 miles, and now at 108,000 miles.
If MikeAZ, Diktator or Dragon2U could contact me about repairing, I sure would be appreciative.
Thanks in advance

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts
MY truck has that issue now and then. But also with my speedo sitting at zero. Shut it down and start back up two-three hours later and all is good for a week - month.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
ABS Module

I had this issue with steadily decreasing brake performance. They finally went out completely, but only intermittently. Just had the ABS module replaced after trying the master cylinder route. Chevy wanted $750 for it. Found it on Rockauto for $338 plus $50 core. Seems to have done the trick. My mechanic searched the "used" database but couldn't find one.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,635 Posts
Try this--Worth a try-----Kathy's '04 did that shortly after we got it. I unplugged the connectors sprayed them and module with contact cleaner, put the connectors back on and off a few times before final re-plugging and it has been fine since.

Nick

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
MY truck has that issue now and then. But also with my speedo sitting at zero. Shut it down and start back up two-three hours later and all is good for a week - month.
Mine does the same thing Rebel. I just put Mike's Heat Shield on it, but the ABS and Parking Brake light still comes on after about a half hour of driving. Drove it to lunch and it came right on before we got to the restaurant (30 minutes) ... coming home it did not come on. I think SSRoe has the best advice. t-dog :ssr

·
Premium Member
31,685 Posts
This was a very common issue on the GMT800 platform. When it finally happened on my truck, I sent off the module to Module Master. These guys do more than just fix cold/broken solder joints.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,372 Posts
This was a very common issue on the GMT800 platform. When it finally happened on my truck, I sent off the module to Module Master. These guys do more than just fix cold/broken solder joints.
Totally agree, no matter where this model ABS was installed, engine bay, under truck, next to the exhaust or open to cool air, it has a long history of failures. The most common, but not 100% cure are bad solder joints, the other is a relay and transistor. There are about 8 points in the several hundred joints that seem to fail. I have repaired over 100 and have not been able to repair maybe 5.

If you want a 100% guaranteed repair please seek one of the professional companies out there, for around $100-$150 you get a completely tested unit that has a short warranty. Me on the otherhand, can resolder the joints but cannot test the unit or offer any warranty for around $20. It's better odds than a coin flip but no guarantees for the work I or others do.

It's something you can do at home as well, it is very well documented in many forums and videos, just need a decent soldering station and some good sealant.

:thumbs

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,959 Posts
I had mine resoldered and it still did not fix the problem. I took it out and sent it to "MY AIRBAGS" 1707 Enterprise Dr, Buford, GA 30518 (678) 778-8890 for $100 it was repaired with a warranty. There is about a 24 hr. turn around.

https://www.myairbags.com/how-it-works/airbag-module-reset/?gclid=CjwKCAjwo87YBRBgEiwAI1LkqeDW1-yjGzrYyqUt68_LJX6rmLaoRBlFiDtiFx0l2pcaq28QSJ0SIBoCKhsQAvD_BwE
MY AIRBAGS does an excellent job and can bench test for relay failure, I can't do that.

Re-solder will not correct relay failure.

Dicktator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts