1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[B]Possible Plant Closing For SSR[/B]

Found this in the Detroit Free Press.

"Lansing Craft Centre

•Employs 330 UAW hourly workers and 60 salaried.

•Year opened not available.

•Builds the Chevrolet SSR convertible pickup.

•Capacity utilization in 2004: Not available.

•Why it may close: The Chevrolet SSR was a hit at the auto shows but not at dealerships. Sales have disappointed, and by the end of this year, GM will have halted production at the plant for nearly 30 weeks because of excess inventories of the SSR. It is GM's smallest vehicle assembly plant"

Not a poll but just wondering what everyone thinks. Will it close or stay open.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ssr

Same opinion here. I can't see GM continuing to produce the SSR beyond 2006. I understand that they produced less than 7500 units in 2005 and there are still hundreds of them left on dealer lots.

I would not have purhased a 2003 or 2004 because I felt they were overpriced and under powered. Could never understand why GM put a 5.3 in the SSR when the LS1 was still available. Anyone know the reason behind that decision?

35000 dollars and 400HP is what is got me in the market to buy my 05. It was worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oharrell2 said:
Same opinion here. I can't see GM continuing to produce the SSR beyond 2006. I understand that they produced less than 7500 units in 2005 and there are still hundreds of them left on dealer lots.

I would not have purhased a 2003 or 2004 because I felt they were overpriced and under powered. Could never understand why GM put a 5.3 in the SSR when the LS1 was still available. Anyone know the reason behind that decision?

35000 dollars and 400HP is what is got me in the market to buy my 05. It was worth the wait.
SSR I'm like you I'm waiting for the best deal on an SSR to go with my HHR. 35,000 sounds like a good deal. Was it well equiped?

·
Registered
217 Posts
oharrell2 said:

Have a 2004 Z06 and I am very very happy with the SSR 5.3L with a 456 rear end,headers,high flow cats,magna flow exhaust,K&N charger kit and prdator programmer. Hits 110 fast enough for me. JMO :) Plus I can use regular if I want, but I do not and yes 90 more hp would be a blast for me but not my son. He is just learning to drive.
Gotta work with what I have :lol

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,827 Posts

The LM4 / 5.3 was used because something could not get approved in time, to use the LS1. Besides some of us can't leave stock alone, lm4 is a good solid starting point.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,827 Posts
open / close

At the end of a run do they not sometimes run a limited special edition to say good buy..... could it be orange? This is how rumours get started. :lol

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
GM to announce closure of four plants

Report: Move aimed at quelling speculation about possible bankruptcy

Updated: 8:18 a.m. ET Nov. 21, 2005
FRANKFURT - General Motors Corp. Chief Executive Rick Wagoner will announce plans this week to close four U.S. assembly plants, the Automotive News industry paper reported on Monday, citing a "company insider."

It said the move was part of an effort by the world's biggest carmaker to quiet Wall Street speculation about a possible bankruptcy.

It quoted its source as saying the planned cutbacks would come in a "bold announcement" that should "cause a lot of people to shut up."

GM was not immediately available for comment. It has lost nearly $4 billion this year and has said it will give details by the end of 2005 of its plan to cut at least 25,000 manufacturing jobs as part of a broader restructuring plan.

"This is all rolling out to the original schedule," the company insider was quoted as saying. "It's carefully coordinated with the UAW (trade union) and other constituencies to avoid blowing the place up."

The paper said it was not clear how many jobs will be eliminated or which plants would close. The shutdowns will not affect GM's future product plans, it added.

Wagoner has committed to a series of plant closures and the elimination of nearly a quarter of GM's U.S. factory work force through 2008.

GM has been grappling with high health-care and commodities costs, loss of U.S. market share to foreign rivals and slumping sales of high-margin sport utility vehicles whose popularity has dwindled of late due to high fuel prices.

Wagoner said in June the proposed cuts would save the automaker $2.5 billion a year. But analysts worry about expenses associated with the cost cuts, and some estimates predict that early retirement and employee relocation costs could total up to $2 billion.

Wagoner has said he plans to cut manufacturing capacity to match demand by 2008. Some experts believe The Lansing Craft Center, where GM builds the Chevrolet SSR, will likely be shut down because the convertible sport pickup has not sold very well and GM has idled the plant for several months in 2005.

Two other plants likely to be shut down are the Doraville, Georgia, plant, which builds GM's minivans, and an SUV plant in Janesville, Wisconsin, analysts said.

The new plant closures will add to three assembly plants that GM has already closed or stopped production at this year — a car plant in Lansing, Michigan, an SUV plant in Linden, New Jersey, and a van plant in Baltimore.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
GM to close 8 plants, cut 30,000 jobs before 2009

Automaker expects total savings of $7 billion

Dale Jewett

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATES FROM AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

DETROIT -- General Motors plans to cut 30,000 jobs, shut down four assembly plants and four stamping and powertrain plants and trim production at several other plants by the end of 2008, CEO Rick Wagoner said Monday.
The moves will help boost GM's total cost savings to about $7 billion, Wagoner said.

The assembly plants to close are:

Oklahoma City. It will close in early 2006.

Lansing Craft Centre in Lansing, Mich. It will close in mid-2006.

The Doraville, Ga., minivan plant will close in 2008.

The Oshawa, Ontario, car plant No. 2 will close in 2008.

GM will close these stamping and powertrain plants:

The Lansing, Mich., stamping plant will be closed in 2006.

The Pittsburgh stamping plant will be closed in 2007.

The St. Catharines, Ontario, Street West powertrain parts plant will be closed in 2008.

The Flint North plant in Flint, Mich., which builds the 3.8-liter V-6 engine, will close in 2008.

GM also will reduce production at these facilities:

Line No. 1 of the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., will be shut down at the end of next year.

The third shift at the Oshawa, Ontario, car plant No. 1 will be dropped in the middle of next year.

The third shift at the Moraine, Ohio, truck plant will be cut in 2006.

GM also will close a parts distribution center in Portland, Ore., in 2006, while the parts distribution center in St. Louis will be converted to a crash parts warehouse.

In 2007, GM will close a parts processing center in Ypsilanti, Mich. It will close another parts processing center that year, GM said, but the site has not yet been determined.

You may e-mail Dale Jewett at [email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
It was no brainer, I knew the Lansing plant/SSR was going to close. Bottomline the SSR does not sell, #1 reason why, just my 2cents, price it too high from the get go... :ssr :mad

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
There's an old adage that says "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR." In the case of my SSR I got WAY more than I paid for. I love my truck, and will keep it for as long as the wheels will turn. Too bad there won't be more folks who can enjoying owning one.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
way under rated

Im a certified car nut and have had many great rides in my forty+ years of driving from American muscle to German high performance. I have to say that the SSR is one of the least understood and most underrated vehlcles ever. Its one of those rides that is more than the sum of its numbers and parts (as we all know). I have a lot of good memories of previous cars/trucks but this is the first one that I feel will be a keeper. Its amazing how many people have opinions and misinformation about the ssr that they read in a magazine. It's often said by H.D. riders that if you have to ask, you'll never understand. I think that applies to our SSR's too.
It's too bad it will be discontinued, it probably could have evolved nicely, but it's ok by me if it remains an uncommon sight. I really think that they will be highly sought after some time in the future. I really consider myself lucky to have an SSR.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
6.0scSSR said:
Im a certified car nut and have had many great rides in my forty+ years of driving from American muscle to German high performance. I have to say that the SSR is one of the least understood and most underrated vehlcles ever. Its one of those rides that is more than the sum of its numbers and parts (as we all know). I have a lot of good memories of previous cars/trucks but this is the first one that I feel will be a keeper. Its amazing how many people have opinions and misinformation about the ssr that they read in a magazine. It's often said by H.D. riders that if you have to ask, you'll never understand. I think that applies to our SSR's too.
It's too bad it will be discontinued, it probably could have evolved nicely, but it's ok by me if it remains an uncommon sight. I really think that they will be highly sought after some time in the future. I really consider myself lucky to have an SSR.
Great Post!!! I've spent the last 2 days cleaning, polishing, and plain admiring our brand new SSR. I really feel like I'm looking at a work of art that I am fortunate enough to be custodian of.

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thum

6.0 scSSR; I could not have said it better about our one of a kind SSR's!

Scott 0168 :ssr

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
LCC Update

Craft Centre back to work making SSRs - for a while

Plant will operate this month, will close again in January

By Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

LANSING TWP. - Mike Krasnoselsky returned to work at GM's Lansing Craft Centre on Monday after a six-week hiatus.

But how many more times he and the plant's 400 other workers will punch in there is unknown.

There are plans to close the factory again in January.

Advertisement

And sometime next year, it will close for good.

The Craft Centre, which makes the Chevrolet SSR, had been idled to allow inventories of the SSR to dwindle to meet market demand. Two weeks ago, General Motors Corp. said it would end production there in mid-2006.

"They just keep giving all our jobs away to NAFTA and CAFTA," Krasnoselsky said, referring to free trade agreements that he believes have made it easy to send American jobs to foreign countries.

"I'm ready to retire, but I don't want to see the plant closed."

Between now and its final day, Craft Centre workers likely will see more on-again, off-again scheduling.

"We're scheduled to build for the month of December," plant spokeswoman Linda Ellis said. "Then we'll be down for four weeks in January."

Last month, there were 437 SSRs sold, a 29 percent decrease from November 2004.

As of Nov. 1, there were enough SSRs on hand to supply sales for the next 250 days, according to Automotive News.

With sales at that level, workers should expect more intermittent work schedules, said Erich Merkle, director of forecasting for IRN Inc., a Grand Rapids-based automotive consulting firm.

"When you're talking about 400 to 500 vehicles a month (sold), that's just not that many," he said. "You can't justify steady production runs at those numbers."

The Craft Centre is one of nine manufacturing plants and three parts warehouses that GM plans to close by 2008.

The Lansing Metal Center, located across Saginaw Street from the Craft Centre, also is closing.

Workers leaving the Craft Centre on Monday said they didn't know what would happen to them after the plant is idled.

GM has said it will offer early retirement, but details of that offer aren't available.

"Most people in there are worried," said John Johnson, a 33-year GM worker.

Image Caption:
(Photo by ROD SANFORD/Lansing State Journal)
Producing: Workers leave the Lansing Craft Centre after their shifts Monday. The General Motors Corp. plant is slated to close in mid-2006 and had been on a six-week hiatus. The factory, which produces the Chevrolet SSR, had been idled to allow inventories to dwindle to meet market demand.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts