Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike Moro and I were talking this morning and he asked a good question which had occurred to me before but which I had not followed up on:

Does the driveline whine or ringing (NOT the "tink"), when it does occur, occur on BOTH automatic and manual transmission vehicles, or is it restricted to the automatic?

The reason for asking is the automatic transmission SSRs have the Torsen differential, whereas the manual transmission ones have a conventional limited slip differential. The Torsen, with its complex helical gearing, has the potential to make a lot of noise, especially if the axle ratio has been changed to a higher ratio.

So, those of you who have the ringing or whining at some speeds (NOT the "tink" which occurs mostly on initial going into 1st or reverse or gear changes):

Is your SSR automatic or manual?

Jim G

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Those complex gears do nothing when you are going straight down the road. It is highly unlikely they are the cause. The whine is usually associated with the ring and pinion gear teath alignment or surface finish. This is a result of manufacturing quality. In some vehicles this noise is amplified by the suspension system or the driveline.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Drive line noise

I also have an automatic . Tht whine starts at 60 MPH and disappears at 70 MPH. Dealer changeing the drive shaft , did not cure noise ,hope this new information will help my noise problem

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,612 Posts
Mike in AZ,

If the rear end is the source of the tink noise, then why does the noise go away for the first few hundred miles after changing the drive shaft.

My 03 SSR had the tink noise show up after the first 250 miles were on the odometer. No revised drive shaft was available during time I owned that SSR. The drive shaft was replaced on that SSR (with the same exact type) and the noise went away for about 400 miles.

My 05 SSR had tink noise show up after the first 800 miles were on the odometer. My 05 SSR had the "bulletin noted revised drive shaft" installed. The tink was not present for the next 300 miles on the "new drive shaft" and then the noise returned in full force (in fact it may be worse with the revised drive shaft installed).

If the rear end were the source of the noise and the noise were simply be radiated out and enhanced by the drive shaft, the changing of the drive shaft should not change the presence or non presence of the tink.

I'm seriously considering getting a carbon fiber drive shaft created for my SSR (like another SSR owner did) to get beyond this noise issue.

·
Registered
541 Posts
After further review...

Mike in AZ said:
...The Tink only occurrs in SSRs with automatic transmissions....
Our 6 speed has the tink.

On the other hand, the whine that JimG asked about in the first post of this thread - I don't hear it. That does not mean it is not there. Remember, we have upgraded the audio system and the exhaust. It might whine but we just can't hear it.

Diggs

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
SSR3 was talking about his whine Sat. I don't know if I have it or not. I have the tink even after the first replacement! I guess I need to listen with the music off!

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Tink, no whine

My 04 has no whine and a minor tink, but its not bothersome, and judging from all of the posts, there is no firm fix yet. I discussed with my dealer's tech and he said that since there was no apparent damage being done, to wait until I was close the end of warranty and take the latest shaft or other fix available at that time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our 6-speed also has the "tink". After listening carefully to it and noticing when it makes the noise, I firmly believe the noise is from the driveshaft. The hollow aluminum tube gives the noise a different pitch than what many of us have been used to before. Our 96 Chevy 4x4 makes a similar noise, but it is not as noticeable because the steel driveshaft noise is a much lower pitch.

·
Registered
442 Posts
tink get worse?

Does this driveshaft noise get worse with miles? I would guess no but since it seems so widespread/common, I get a bit concerned........ especially after hearing it is on a 6 speed, too.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Danko:

Read both my words and Donna & John's carefully!

Donna & John say they have the tink, NOT that they have the whine or ringing.

It is the whine or ringing I am interested in here, NOT the tink.

Guys and gals:

Please don't confuse the issue by posting "tink" comments here. In this specific thread, I'm trying to hear about any SSRs that have whine or ringing ONLY. I am trying to see if there are ANY 6-speeds that have the whine or ringing. I already know that most SSRs, automatic or manual, have the tink.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Mine has a whine similar to a bad break pad, but it is not a brake pad. I have pull the wheels and inspected all 4 pads and rotors - no sign of an issue. The noise occurs a low speeds. I can apply the brakes and the noise goes away. Any guesses? I plan to lift the SSR over Thanksgiving and engage the drive and inspect while in a stationary position.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I have the 6 speed and never had the gear whine that you and other speak of. I will add that I had the supercharger installed at 2,200 miles so that may effect the answer. I am at 3,000 miles now and have no whine from the drivetrain until there is a load and the supercharger starts to whine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Danko:

Read both my words and Donna & John's carefully!

Donna & John say they have the tink, NOT that they have the whine or ringing.

It is the whine or ringing I am interested in here, NOT the tink.

Guys and gals:

Please don't confuse the issue by posting "tink" comments here. In this specific thread, I'm trying to hear about any SSRs that have whine or ringing ONLY. I am trying to see if there are ANY 6-speeds that have the whine or ringing. I already know that most SSRs, automatic or manual, have the tink.
Sorry Jim.....

We do not have any rear end whine noise in our 6-speed.

B

·
0 Posts
My 05 auto with the 4.10 gears. I can hear no whine or noise at any speed. That is with the tunes turned off also. :lol :lol I can hear a whine from the sc thou. :jester

·
Registered
500 Posts
Tinker Toy

Hey all,

Iv'e been reading all the threads on this subject of the tink in the driveline ,and It occurred to me hat I had a similar problem before I tuned my 03 SSR with the Crane cams microtuner.
After I installed the dynatech headers,I noticed that the idle was very low to the point where it would stall going around corners at idle speed when the power steering was at 1/2-3/4 lock and a noticable tink was evident when the engine picked up the slack.My wife even commented about it so, I grabbed my micro tuner and reset the idle to 700 rpms' and this corrected both of these problems.No more stalling or tink.
Our engine rpms' are set at 500 which I think is too low anyway.I would guess the idea is to keep enough pressure on the yoke to keep the rear end slack from causing the "tink".

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PLEASE let's keep this thread on the WHINE, not the tink. I am hoping to end up with a "print-out" I can show my Chevy dealer.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 29 Posts