Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......I know it's probably in the manual and a search did'nt return anything; so how do you cancel the locks from automatically locking when you hit about 10km??
I assume you can...........

Thanks Frank

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
Don't think you can cancel . . .

I wanted to cancel that feature also, and have successfully done so on multiple GM vehicles, however, as far as I could get on the SSR is the choice to lock with speed (approx 15 mph) OR lock with gear selector movement from PARK position.

I am curious to know if canceling this feature is possible. :confused

Blast

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
WearyEagle said:
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you want to do this ? :confused

Gary (WearyEagle)
The main reason is convenience. If you pull down the driveway to the mailbox, pull away from the gas pumps to pay, or do any "tiny trip" driving, you must unlock the doors to get out. Do you think there might be a connection between the inability to cancel this feature and the rash of broken inside handles?? Maybe.

Bottom line here is: I am a licensed driver in my state. I am allowed to guide up to 24,000 lbs at 75 mph down the freeway legally. I sure hope I am sharp enough to lock the doors when appropriate. :thumbs

Blast

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Have you thought about setting it so it unlocks when you shift into park.

IIRC You can also choose if both doors unlock or just the drivers.

edit: I personally like it where it locks on speed and unlocks on park, both doors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have a 6 spd and i'd like to disable the locks altogether. it's really annoying to have to unlock the doors when quickly trying to drop someone off or pick someone up. i also have a broken driver's door handle right now :mad

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I would find it inconvenient to HAVE TO LOCK MY DOORS . . . .

BlastfromPast said:
The main reason is convenience. If you pull down the driveway to the mailbox, pull away from the gas pumps to pay, or do any "tiny trip" driving, you must unlock the doors to get out. Do you think there might be a connection between the inability to cancel this feature and the rash of broken inside handles?? Maybe.

My doors lock automatically when I put my SSR in gear and unlock automatically when I put in park. What's inconvenient about that ?

If you have to get out of your SSR to get the mail from the mailbox what gear do you leave it in that keeps the doors locked? :rolleyes: And how do you get away with pulling away from the pumps and then paying? (California drivers would cure that proprietor of this policy FAST ! !) :lol

I don't know what you consider "tiny trip" driving, but over half of all the fatalities in traffic accidents occur where the victims were less than 5 miles from home.

As it relates to broken door handles: Are you suggesting that GM cuts their specs so tight on their vendors as to call for a design of a door handle that will last the lifetime of the truck, provided the owner doesn't try to open the door too many times when it is locked?

Incidentally, as a matter of policy when I'm out and about in LA County at night, I lock my doors manually immediately upon entering my SSR. Vehicle anti-theft devices have gotten so good, that "amateur" car thieves have resorted to carjackings to get your vehicle and upon entering the vehicle before putting it in gear to back out of a parking spot (thereby locking the vehicle automatically) is the ideal carjacking situation. :mad

I apologize if you thought my earlier post implied that you were irresponsible. I intended to imply no such thing. Incidentally, I know illegal aliens who are licensed to drive 80,000 pound 18-wheelers for my tile suppliers. They speak very little English and from what I've seen of their driving are hardly the most careful responsible drivers.

Just my humble opinion.

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
frankmp said:
.......I know it's probably in the manual and a search did'nt return anything; so how do you cancel the locks from automatically locking when you hit about 10km??
I assume you can...........

Thanks Frank
I agree with you. I dont need my nanny with me everywhere I go. Its a nice feature, but there shoud be an option to overide it. There is no Park on the 6 speed. It may provide saftey in a bad neighborhood, but it might also impede someone trying to rescue you after an accident or in a fire. What ever the reasons, I like having the choice. We have enough laws lately impinging on our freedoms(Ie motorcycle helmets etc,etc) without general motors deciding whats good for us too. Sorry for the rant.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
WearyEagle said:

My doors lock automatically when I put my SSR in gear and unlock automatically when I put in park. What's inconvenient about that ?

Incidentally, as a matter of policy when I'm out and about in LA County at night, I lock my doors manually immediately upon entering my SSR. Vehicle anti-theft devices have gotten so good, that "amateur" car thieves have resorted to carjackings to get your vehicle and upon entering the vehicle before putting it in gear to back out of a parking spot (thereby locking the vehicle automatically) is the ideal carjacking situation. :mad

I apologize if you thought my earlier post implied that you were irresponsible. I intended to imply no such thing.

Gary (WearyEagle)
Gary, no apology necessary. I sure didn't mean to direct the responsibility comment your direction. But your post does mention the reason I DON'T want the vehicle to unlock the doors automatically when placed in PARK - potential safety issues. For instance, if I pull up to a convenience store I'm not familiar with, maybe I don't want the doors to unlock as soon as I put it in PARK. I am just egotistical enough to think that I am even MORE qualified than my ECU to decide when I want my doors locked or unlocked. I certainly understand the feature, just wish it had an "OFF" mode like my other GM vehicles. :thumbs

Blast

·
Registered
286 Posts
Think I found the answer

but my truck is in storage with the jet skis so I can't be sure yet. Those of you with a 2004 shop manual, check out page 11-91. I'll let u know.

·
Registered
286 Posts
auto lock dead-rip

Successfully canceled auto locking on 2004. To paraphrase: 1. ignition off, hold t/s lever all the way toward u and turn key from off to runto off twice. release t/s lever. (you will hear beeps and/or cycling of door locks. The above step needs to be done fairly briskly relative to key off-on-off.) 2. Press the lock side of the interior lock switch twice. (this step must be done within 30 second of the first step) VOILA details on page 11-91 of 2004 shop manual.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
Muchas Gracias!

Joel, awesome tip! I thank you, my door locks thank you, and maybe my inside door handles thank you! :)

Blast

·
Registered
615 Posts
You deserve a hug from a very large chested woman, sorry but I am not either. However, many thanks at sixty I can still walk, talk and chew gum, so I can lock my own doors also, when I want.
Thanks Again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts