Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had my SSR in the shop to be diagnosed for the "emitions control light" coming on and a subsequent loss of power. They determined it was a loose fuse. Today on the way to work, happy B-Day! Loss of power again!!!! No idiot light came on yet, but clearly, when I floor it, I hear a deep rumble, not the usual roar of the engine, and an obvious lack of power. Will I ever be able to keep Black Betty out of the shop!? I'm gonna live with it for a while and see what happens next. :mad :confused

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
cruzned: I would not live with it for any length of time. You could be suffering damage. Take it in and let the techs extract the trouble code it should have stored.

If there is no trouble code stored, then the problem is PHYSICAL outside the engine control system. Could be a physical drag due to a bearing gone bad, a brake dragging, etc. If so, more miles = damage.

Jim G

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Jim. Made the appointment for this Friday. HOpefully they can fix it in a day. I was all set to go on the Colonial Motor Tour in Newport News, Yorktown, and other historic venues with a bunch of other car crazies like me. Its an all day and evening cruise with various stops. Pretty cool actually. :jester

·
Registered
579 Posts
Terrible

That's terrible. Sorry you have to miss the run. You know when I take my Cadillac in to the shop, if they have to repair it they offer me a replacement Cadillac, usually the same type. It is too bad Chevrolet does not offer you a replacement SSR.

Good Luck

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Registered
253 Posts
What excatly were you doing when the engine power went down?

I have noticed that if I make a tight left or right turn from a dead stop and floor and the wheels spin, the engine will bog like a governer was turned on. Something to do with the traction control. Once the tires regrab it opens the power back up.

That will scare the crap out of you if your trying to cross a busy devided highway!

If that's not the case, definately take it in.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was'nt doing anything unusual, and actually, the problem appeared right from start up this morning. the engine sounds totally different, more basal, and you don't get the wind or roar that sonds good when you step on the gas, instead you get a sluggish, basal, growl with a significant decrease in Horsepower. Later on today the "Emission control Light" came on indicating a prob. just like the last time the light came on. I checked the codes in the manual and they are all transmission related. Last time they replaced a fuse but something is making the fuse blow, i.e., a short somewhere in the transmission electronics. The light is still on and I plan on taking her in on Friday. Interestingly, the manual also describes how after a certain no. of cycles, the system resets itself and the light will go out and the problem will appear to be gone, but the codes remain in the memory of the computer. I hope they can get this little gremlin this time around. I hope to still make the Colonial Mopar Motor Tour. It's a pretty cool cruz with some of the neatest cars and hot rods around. :thumbs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today the light went out and, just as my helm manual describes, the system recycled and the problem is gone, or so the truck thinks. Of course, it is still there. I am learning an awful lot from those manuals! :thumbs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Light on, light out, all day. Power loss is now comlete, with or without the emission control light and something new, a low pitched drone sound like blowing through a hollow pipe, but very basal. Maybe I better get Black Betty some cough syrup! Also, and this one was spooky, it was raining today and going around a turn, she side slipped because traction control was affected by this electronic weirdness. I did not see the TC light on which indicates traction control is out or off either. Usually the DIC shows "Traction control Active" message, but not even that. The weirdest thing is the gas consumption going from 2-70 miles per gallon. As soon as I step on the pedal, she goes into the single digits. Gulp!!!!$$$$$$$$ :jester Not to worry, she goes in to the dealer in the morning. :seeya

Hey maybe we can get a new humorous poll going about who has had their SSR into the dealership the most.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
poor baby...

Hey art guy...hope she gets better soon :thumbs and you won't be doing any more slipping and sliding

:ssr

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Cruzned: I have been reading up on our SSR's PCM and electronic throttle control.

What your PCM and ETC just did was put your SSR's drievtrain into a "protected" mode, to protect either the drievtrain or the driver from some adverse results. In extreme cases, it will actually only allow the engine to idle, but not move the vehicle. In cases where even that is deemed to risk either damage or loss of vehicle control, it will shut down the engine.

By the way, it's a good thing we DON'T have OnStar. If we did, the OnStar service could monitor and even shut down our vehicles. I am not kidding. I read a technical paper presented by Delphi to a Societ of Engineers conference, and there was even mention of the ability, if desired, to stop a police pursuit by shuttting down the pursed vehicle remotely.

That electronic throttle control changes the throttle pedal from an actual physical power control to a "driver suggestion" that the PCM and ETC then "evaluate" and "factor" to what THEY have been "programmed" to allow.

The latest PCM/ETC combinations even change the throttle calibration so that when you are at high elevations (mountains), your equivalent physical pedal movement is translated into a LARGER electronic pedal movement in order to compensate for the lower power available at high elevations.

Scary.

Jim G

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim: That is fascinating. Even though I am having all this trouble, I am fascinated by the manuals and the information they contain on possible probs. and solutions. Your expertise is greatly appreciated. Hopefully they will fix her up today, that is, if she gets me to the dealer in one piece this morning.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the bad news from my service manager. My SSR is going to need a new wiring harness for the Transmission, a solenoid, and a host of other parts to fix her back to new. Too many to name here. Getting a rental for the weekend this afternoon. Bummer, but at least they are going to fix her up and know what ails her. :mad :confused :leaving

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They just don't know really. The solenoid on the torque converter needs replacing, the wiring harness on the tranny is being replaced, and a few other parts. Hey, I'm good, I got a GMC Canyon and the surf is up so I can haul the wife, the dog, and the board to the beach this weekend and have some fun! Zoom Zoom will return for next weekends corvette car show. Meanwhile, surf is up! :jester

·
Registered
601 Posts
cruzned said:
They just don't know really. The solenoid on the torque converter needs replacing, the wiring harness on the tranny is being replaced, and a few other parts. Hey, I'm good, I got a GMC Canyon and the surf is up so I can haul the wife, the dog, and the board to the beach this weekend and have some fun! Zoom Zoom will return for next weekends corvette car show. Meanwhile, surf is up! :jester

Have fun!!!

Sorry about the truck. I hope they fix it right this time. :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Black Betty has been at the dealership since Friday. They replaced the wiring harness on the tranny and a solenoid on the torque converter. Started her up and she would not shut off. Looks like I should have named her "Christine" after the Steven King novel. She seems possessed! The put in a new ignition switch today and now all appears (the key word here) to be normal (whatever that is). They said come pick her up so the wife and I are headed out to retrieve her from the dealership. Will let yu know what codes were when I get back. Should be an interesting report, er, uh, bill. :jester

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since taking "POSSESSION!" of Black Betty in Nov. of 2003, she has been in to the dealer a total of 18 times for warranty service and oil changes. I wanted to set up a poll to do that but apparently don't have the privileges to do that. Can we set up a poll like that Marc? Right now, she seems to be running ok, Kristine is drivin her. :seeya :flag

The Poll I wanted to start was "How Many Times Has Your SSR been returned to the shop for service or warranty items?"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts