Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guys .
I am new owner of a 06 ssr. And I need some help the power door mirrors do not work.
I checked the fuses under hood and behind seat.(all are good )
I took the door panel off all plugs are tight.
Took kick panel off and that plug is good .
Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this or what might be the problem,

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,250 Posts
jtdenver, Someone will come along with suggestions, meantime, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Mirrors share fuse with driver door module. They also share ground with driver window and a host of others. There is no computer involved in this circuit. It is a fairly complicated switch.

Is there anything else that doesn't work?
Do you hear any noise at all at either mirror?

If both mirrors totally inoperable and you own a test light, I would start by connecting light between the orange and black wires at switch. If light comes on you have power and ground to switch. You then either have a bad switch or at least TWO bad wires. If you had only one bad wire at least one motor out of four would work .Problem most likely a bad mirror switch. But let me know I will give you a second group of tests.

If you do not own a test light, buy one or cross you fingers and get a mirror switch If all other power accessories work. (Windows, locks, etc)

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I have attached the wiring diagram
The only parts common to both mirrors and both motors in each mirror is
Power wire to the switch
Ground wire from the switch
Switch itself

Maybe someone has a switch as part of an old door panel they would be will to sell

Switch on ebay -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GM-OEM-03-06-SSR-Door-Side-Rear-View-Power-Mirror-Switch-10370497/322829221682?fits=Year:2004|Make:Chevrolet|Model:SSR|Submodel:Base|Engine+-+Liter_Display:5.3L&epid=655028152&hash=item4b2a1eff32:g:gi0AAOSwQVdZ4yUJ&vxp=mtr

I would check with Mike Byers at Classic Chevy first (search the site for his information) He is a great guy to deal with and if its still available he will be able to find it.

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,021 Posts
Maybe someone has a switch as part of an old door panel they would be will to sell
I have a few new mirror switches in the GM parts in Floyd Bailey's estate. I'll be happy to sell them at $35 each, including shipping.

Just drop a note to me at [email protected]

Regards,

Mike

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,274 Posts
Follow Prof's advice in post 3. The last truck I worked on that had this same problem was the Orange wire (circuit 4140) broken inside the umbilical tube between the kick panel and the door. GM did not use the highest quality of wire in that harness that is flexed constantly. Spliced in a short piece of better quality wire.

·
Daily Driver
8,937 Posts
This may be a dumb question but it's basic. Are you turning the knob left or right before trying to operate the mirror?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok now that i am off work.
Yes i have a test light.
Everything else works.
Their is no movement or sound from the mirrors.
I have checked the orange wire at the switch and at the plug behind the kick panel No Power.
The black wire is a good ground

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ran a jumper from the battery to the orange wire at the plug behind the kick panel. Made sure the orange wire at plug for the switch
had power (it did ) pluged in the switch still no movement or sound.
Looks like I have more then one problem no power and a bad switch

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
JT
You have me confused, Easy to do just ask my wife (Marie).
Maybe I've spent too much time with my friend Buddy light.

What happens if you connect your test light between the orange wire and black wire at switch?

What happens if you jumper power to orange wire ate switch?
Sounds like you could have problem river rat mentioned on his previous experience.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Try jumper to orange wire at switch.
Sounds like problem river rat had!

I posted an edit (addition) about the same time you were posting this!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
You might be right!
More than one problem.:crazy

A few thoughts that might seem stupid. I don't mean to insult you but I've seen it happen before. I'm just trying to help and from a long distance with things that don't seem to make sense:
Does your test light work? Connect it to a good power and ground.

Summary of what you've done as I understand:
You confirmed no light when test light is connected between orange and black wire at switch. And no operation with jumper wire from power to orange wire or jumper wire from black wire to battery ground at switch.

If this is correct, you do have more than one problem.

Is this a new problem or has it been this way since recent purchase?
If it's been there, are mirrors plugged in?

Again, sorry just trying to cover all possibilities. I'M missing something I can't think of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok don't worry about insulting me.
And their are no stupid questions
I would also like to thank you for any help you can give.

Now for the problem I will to answer in order.
Yes the test light works
You are correct when I put the test light between the orange and black wire at the switch plug I have no power.
And yes you are correct when I jumper the orange and black from the battery still no movement.
It was this way when I got it.

Now what I have done.
Remove wire harness from door.
Replace orange and black wires from plug at switch to plug behind kick panel.
Reinstall harness.
Reinstall mirror switch.
Run jumpers from battery to plug behind kick panel.
Both mirrors work switch is good.

Now the problem is the orange wire has no power.

What I need to know is were dose the power come from so l can chase this back.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I hope these help

Picture 1 orange wire is from DDM fuse to driver door unlock relay.
and through c202 heading to kick panel connector. Assume drivers power door unlock works when you said everything thing else works. Others have found screws holding rear fuse box together loose, might snug those down)

Picture 2 , c202 is #22. Numbers 25&27 rear fuse box.

Picture 3 orange wire is cavity A5 in c202

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,672 Posts
Power Mirrors Not Working

The switch for the power mirrors is susceptible to getting wet if the window is open and rain drips onto that area of the door panel. I've seen one SSR with a similar issue- only one mirror worked and that one would only move in one direction. After troubleshooting to confirm there was good power to the switch I disassembled it and found significant corrosion (from water penetration) on the printed circuit board within; that resulted in no connections being made among some of the switch positions. A delicate repair attempt to the circuit board was made (thank you, Mike P.) but did not work. Ultimately, replacing the door panel switch solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,250 Posts
Ok don't worry about insulting me.
And their are no stupid questions
I would also like to thank you for any help you can give.

Run jumpers from battery to plug behind kick panel.
Both mirrors work switch is good.

Now the problem is the orange wire has no power.

What I need to know is were dose the power come from so l can chase this back.
If the fuse is good, sounds like problem is from fuse to connector behind the kick panel!? If tightening/just snug the screws on rear fuse panel does not solve it , can he run a jumper orange wire from the rear fuse panel to the connector ?

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If the fuse is good, sounds like problem is from fuse to connector behind the kick panel!? If tightening/just snug the screws on rear fuse panel does not solve it , can he run a jumper orange wire from the rear fuse panel to the connector ?

Nick

Nick
In short YES and
It might be easier to check the orange wire at C2 in rear of rear fuse box.
I think you could gain access to the rear of the connector by removing top part of rear fuse box (you might not need to remove a bunch of interior trim) I don't know for sure, but worth a try

I would try this -- pictures taken from a previous post - by Dicktator

1. Disconnect battery
2. Gain access to rear fuse box
3. Remove the following (picture 1 for help)
Fully loosen Three screws holding connectors to back side
The large battery positive that feeds rear box
The large electrical connector (Push the sliding latch (1) downward until fully extended, approximately 40 mm (1.6 in).
Release the 4 retaining tabs located at the top and bottom of the electrical center. Picture 2
View of connectors C2 cavity C10 highlighted picture 3
move connector forward to inspect ( tap off of orange wire) there will be two orange wires in the same terminal ( don't cut wires - splice! might cut wrong one)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FIXED FIXED FIXED YAAAAAAAAA

Ok this is what i had to do.
Replace ground wire (black ) from plug inside door at mirror switch to plug behind drivers kick panel.
Replace power wire (orange ) from plug inside door at mirror switch to plug behind drivers kick panel.
Connect jumpers from battery to orange and black wires at kick panel plug to test mirrors and switch (they worked)

Now time to find out Y their is no power from the fuse box to the plug at drivers kick panel (orange wire )

Took inside fuse box apart check power at c2 port it should have power ( it did )
Follow orange wire out of fuse (testing every 6 inches or so ) untappeing the harness as i go.
Found two bad spots one right by drivers seat belt and one half way down the rocker panel.
Spliced new wire (orange ) just behind the fuse box to plug behind kick panel.

ALL IS GOOD

HOP THIS CAN HELP SOMEONE AND THANKS FOR EVERYONE HELP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts