Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2004 SSR several months ago and when I drove it the first time, I noticed the steering was rather stiff and harder to turn unlike most power steering in other vehicles. Is the power steering in an SSR supposed to be the way I have described? Thanks.
Don
Atl, GA

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,531 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!!!! :00000732: My power steering is not hard to turn I would maybe try changing the fluid?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,531 Posts
I thought the power steering was firm when I first got mine as well. I'm pretty sure it's normal. Just one man's opinion.
That could be my other car is a Trailblazer so maybe I'm just use to the feel? The suspension it very similar on the two.

·
Proud Original Owner
18,189 Posts
My friend just bought a 2005 SSR and he thought the steering was hard compared to his Ford Escape. I drove it and it feels the same as my SSR and my Chevy Captiva.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,895 Posts
deliveryt, Best way to tell is meet another member and compare!!!. AND----Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out. Or compare Steering :laugh: 0:)

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy

·
Ret. Air Force
3,726 Posts
I bought my 2004 SSR several months ago and when I drove it the first time, I noticed the steering was rather stiff and harder to turn unlike most power steering in other vehicles. Is the power steering in an SSR supposed to be the way I have described? Thanks.
Don
Atl, GA
Don,

Lots of Georgia folks that live around/near you...I'm about 2 hours away (Warner Robins). Maybe someone that lives closer to you will chime in and offer to check it out? If not, I could possibly come up next weekend.

Welcome to the family and congrats on the purchase!!

Alex

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
:00000732: Welcome from Tennessee! :00000732:

Yes, steering effort is more pronounced than recent vintage cars. No one finger spinning the steering wheel! Look up Dictator's recommended settings for front end alignment. The factory specs lend a heavy feel to steering. AND you will find pronounced wear to the outside edges of your front tires.
Know your local shop will be reluctant to align to the recommend specs because they are different than factory. I've had mine realigned when local Fanatics pointed out the wear on my tires. Steering effort was much improved.
My 2 cents: There are better versed fanatics who will "Steer" you down the right path. :deal:

Boomer Bob :ssr

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
SSR Alignment Specs.

Caster: 4.25 +/- 0.5
Set to max and equal both sides
---------------------------------------------------
Cross Caster: 0.0 +/- 0. 3
------------------------------------------------------
Camber: -0.5 +/- 0.5
(CHANGE CAMBER TO ZERO (0)
--------------------------------------------------------
Toe: +0.1 +/- 0.2
(CHANGE TOE TO ZERO (0)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Change both Camber and Toe to zero, to eliminate inner tire scuffing and accelerated wear. If they have trouble getting to exact zero, have them set as close as possible on negative side.

Wheel lug nut torque 110 ft/lbs MAXIMUM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts