Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was lining Ilsa up to enter the work bay at the exhaust shop, I heard something under the hood. By the time I made it inside and shut it off, almost all of the power steering fluid had leaked out. I couldn't find the reason as I was dealing with an unhappy shop owner at the the sight of fluid all over his floor.

Ilsa just had her new supercharger and headers installed, but I'm doubtful that the problem came from that. Maybe it was just a burst fluid line.

Any ideas?

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
There's a lot of pieces of tubing in the power steering system, I had one of those burst on the highway. But from what you described I think it's more likely the cooler that goes across the front kind of below and behind the radiator.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
The driver's side header comes really close to the power steering lines, and could come into contact with the lines, causing them to overheat and burst.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the solution?

The driver's side header comes really close to the power steering lines, and could come into contact with the lines, causing them to overheat and burst.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
What is the solution?
Check to see if we're correct regarding the power steering hoses coming into contact with the header. You likely have to replace at least one hose if that's where the leak is coming fron. If you can find or have built a longer hose, you can probably relocate it or them further from the header.

As much as I wanted to go with headers, I've decided that when I install the new engine, I will settle for ceramic coated stock exhaust manifolds because they are so compact compared to headers.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,109 Posts
What is the solution?
The solution to what, have you found out where it failed?
The solution to having the PS lines getting too close to the headers is to tweak the lies. The exhaust tube from the #1 cylinder does get really close to one of the lines. We have had to bend that line slightly to move it a little farther away. I would recommend one of the add-on thermal wraps for the line.

I highly recommend ceramic coating headers in the SSR because of the limited space in the compartment and the need to control heat as much as possible. My preference is to go both inside and outside with one of the “high temp” coatings that go out to 2700F. These have limited colors....... my favorite color is “titanium”......

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I have seen these lines fail on the rack end where it is crimped. The SSR this was on did not have headers bot the rubber hose was degraded and came apart inside the crimp. To my surprise Orilley auto parts had a listing for it.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully, I'll get Ilsa back from the exhaust shop tomorrow and I can take a closer look at where the problem is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts