Chevy SSR Forum banner

Predator Programer

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Gary's 04 
#1 ·
Just got my Predator Programmer from Klazze Direct http://klassedirect.com/20gmgasprpr.html

Total price was $399 with a $65 dollar discount. Enter code dpp1050 on checkout, also sent it Free overnight shipping.

Lunch time, gota go check it out. :thumbs

#3 ·
I keep getting a script error & it won't load the program. :mad I checked the Predator site FAQ and they suggested it was from Qoute: A GM script error is generally an interruption in the process caused by something aftermarket being added to the system, PCM and or electronics, like maybe a CD player, tach, shift light, or some communication to the vehicle system has said “stop and wait”. This is easy to sort out and correct in almost all cases. Then the process will not break communication and proceed.

I have nothing extra added. I did pull the radio fuse and still no luck. Did you have to do anything special? Mine is an 04.

I don't know who they are trying to fool but there are over 20 fuses and I don't think Chevy is pulling fuses to flash the chip.

:mad :cuss :confused

#4 ·
superchip programer

Received my superchip programer last thursday. Programed their high performance set up the same one that was done on the speed show with an SSR.

What a difference it shifts and the tires squeal at every shift ---just like my vette did. This 5.3 has power I did not know was there. First pass with new set up I floored it and looked down at 6200rpm when it squealed going into 4th (over drive). Engine sounds louder maybe my heart throbbing ???

Fuel mileage went down 20.1 to 19.2 on highway trip of 210 mi. Oh well it is worth the price......... have to run at least 91 octane.

Sale price was $307 including freight.

MADE ME A BELIEVER----------- 5.0 MUSTANGS your ponies can't come close :party :flag

#6 ·
HD-Fatboy....

There should be no reason to pull any fuses. If your vehicle has Onstar then that is whenyou would need to disable that as it sends information from the ecu.

On that note..What is the battery like on your truck? What number programmer did they send you? Also whn you plug the predator in what ver of the bios is it?

After I get that info we can move forward onthe fix...

#8 ·
It looks like yoiu have the latest ver. I hate to start this way but are you doing hte following?

1. Plug the Predator in to the aldl port.
2. The predator should come on then turn the key to the on position. Do not crank the truck. Radio off, e brake on and nothing running..

Where after this are you getting the error? It has to download your stock map before it can load the new one....

#9 ·
Exactly like you and the manual says. It did download the first time and there was no problem with that. When I go to install a mod it starts up and says it is writing and then gives me the error.

This might be easier if I can give you a call. Let me know.

#11 ·
Is it possible for a Fanatic who has experience with Performance chips to give us an unbiased (as in not associated with the manufacturers) assessment of the relative merits of the Predator, Superchips, and Hypertech programmers.

Engine performance, fuel requirements, shift enhancements, etc.

I had thought the Predator had what I was looking for, especially enhanced shifting, but there have been reports in past threads, and also this current thread of malfunctions, and in one case, of an SSR having to be towed to the dealer, and the ECM replaced. That makes me a little nervous. Those boxes ain't cheap, if the dealer takes the position that the programmer caused the failure, and therefore, no warranty.

Any takers?

Ray

#12 ·
Hmmm. I have not heard of an SSR being towed but I have not been here that long.

As far as an opinion onthe big 3, I can offer this to you. I work for a large school district in Network Services so I am not affilated with any one of them.

Hypertech..Very Conservative on the maps. They give you some but not all and you are stuck with the one it came with.

SuperChips... Decent map but unlike Hypertech they give more. Good tuner and they are coming along. Still stuck with the map on the programmer.

DiabloSport... Aggresive map, allot of adjustments that can be made and HAS the capability to import a custom tune for your vehicle. I knwo some of you will say I am biased towards Diablosport but I say when you find something that works as good and has allot of tuninig features like the Predator does why not brag on it.

As far as a failure and having to be towed in. The only failures that I have seen with the diablosport has been during a program install. When this happens the ecu cannot be read period. A dealer cannot trace this to a programmer as it looses it's communication ability. The dealer cannot flash the ECU and obtain any information. I do custom maps for motorcycle's and have done a ton of Hand Held programmers and I have seen 2 fail since I have been doing this. One was on my personal Diesel and another on a customers truck at a friends shop.

I hope this has helped and I would like to ad that the customer service at Hypertech and Diablosport is fantastic...Superchips CS..is terrible.

#13 ·
Talked with Boosted on the phone and want to say thank you. Contacted tech support and just got back from sending the programmer off. (Bad programer) Waiting game in play.

As for the question about the ECU, first the dealer is going to have to prove it was you. Unless you keep the programmer in the truck, they don't need to know. Could've been an electricle surge. :rolleyes:

Mine is covered bumper to bumber for 5 years. That covers everything but tires and wiper blades. Paid extra for that but worth it.

I do like the options on the Diablo compared to the other brands out there. At some time I plan on adding more mods like mass air flow sensor, cold air kit, throttle body ext. cat backs, headers and supercharger. I didn't want to have to buy a new tuner with each new mod.

On another note, I handed out 2 SSR cards today for the site, didn't get to meet the owners, one silver and one yellow. Hope to see some more from St. Louis joining.

#14 ·
Flassh said:
Is it possible for a Fanatic who has experience with Performance chips to give us an unbiased (as in not associated with the manufacturers) assessment of the relative merits of the Predator, Superchips, and Hypertech programmers.

Engine performance, fuel requirements, shift enhancements, etc.

I had thought the Predator had what I was looking for, especially enhanced shifting, but there have been reports in past threads, and also this current thread of malfunctions, and in one case, of an SSR having to be towed to the dealer, and the ECM replaced. That makes me a little nervous. Those boxes ain't cheap, if the dealer takes the position that the programmer caused the failure, and therefore, no warranty.

Any takers?

Ray
I bought and installed the Predator in my 500 mile new 04 2 weeks ago. I have since modified the performance tune several times with zero problems. It's VERY user friendly and comes with more adjustability than most will use right away BUT if you do any other mods down the road (which I plan on doing), you can keep modifying with the same unit which is great.

I paid $324 total from www.concoursdirect.com

VERY PLEASED! :) :) :)

#16 ·
hpdjv said:
I bought and installed the Predator in my 500 mile new 04 2 weeks ago. I have since modified the performance tune several times with zero problems. It's VERY user friendly and comes with more adjustability than most will use right away BUT if you do any other mods down the road (which I plan on doing), you can keep modifying with the same unit which is great.

I paid $324 total from www.concoursdirect.com

VERY PLEASED! :) :) :)
hpdjv, I'm thinking of installing the Predator but I'm curious as to what you changed in the program --- parameters utilized? Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.