Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now that these kits have been installed on many SSRs for a number of years, saving us from the same problem that plauges the other vehicles built on or same chassis (TrailBlazer and Envoy..... we won't talk about the Ascender!), I have heard that the same shift cables are starting to fail at the OTHER end (where attached to the "shifter" in the console)! Has anyone made any connection between the two? In other words, is "strengthening" the transmission end making it more rigid on that end and thus is causing more strain on the "shifter" end, and over time is causing that end to fail??
Should we start a thread where members can report that the "shifter" end of the cable has failed and whether or not they have previously installed this "Shift Cable Kit"? We could then analyze if there may be a "linkage" (sorry couldn't resist!) between the two.

By the way, I have heard that when the "shifter" end of the cable fails, it requires a new OEM shifter cable from GM; it is not a "quick fix" like replacing the nylon grommets on the transmission end. And, of course, opening up the console (without accidentally breaking tabs or scratching the finish) to get to the shifter end is no easy job! And then it needs to be attached to the tranmission end again....

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
Now that these kits have been installed on many SSRs for a number of years, saving us from the same problem that plauges the other vehicles built on or same chassis (TrailBlazer and Envoy..... we won't talk about the Ascender!), I have heard that the same shift cables are starting to fail at the OTHER end (where attached to the "shifter" in the console)! Has anyone made any connection between the two? In other words, is "strengthening" the transmission end making it more rigid on that end and thus is causing more strain on the "shifter" end, and over time is causing that end to fail??
Should we start a thread where members can report that the "shifter" end of the cable has I do not believe it is
I do not think the transmission end fix is the cause of the shifter end problem. I think the issue is heat and the upper grommet is just not exposed to as much heat. The shifter end repair is not AS difficult and the as the transmission end because there is no need to get UNDER the truck. There is as much of a requirement to pay attention to how things come apart so you get them back together correctly.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,640 Posts
Should we start a thread where members can report that the "shifter" end of the cable has failed and whether or not they have previously installed this "Shift Cable Kit"? We could then analyze if there may be a "linkage" (sorry couldn't resist!) between the two.

By the way, I have heard that when the "shifter" end of the cable fails, it requires a new OEM shifter cable from GM; it is not a "quick fix" like replacing the nylon grommets on the transmission end. And, of course, opening up the console (without accidentally breaking tabs or scratching the finish) to get to the shifter end is no easy job! And then it needs to be attached to the tranmission end again....
No correlation between fixing the bottom and the top breaks.

Also, the top one crumbling does not require replacing the entire cable only the bushing. The top bushing is part of the Dorman 14055 kit. The price varies from around $8-$12

·
Registered
21 Posts
No correlation between fixing the bottom and the top breaks.

Also, the top one crumbling does not require replacing the entire cable only the bushing. The top bushing is part of the Dorman 14055 kit. The price varies from around $8-$12
Ah, yes, I am familiar with that kit, from use with my TrailBlazer SS!
I didn't know that those with the "top end" problem is also a bushing problem. Thanks.
(I'm sure most know that GM instructs dealership techs to replace the entire cable "assembly" if the bushing fails on either end.... rather than simply replacing the bushings. What a waste! And that means the "stock" of cable assemblies is going to be depleted sooner than it needs to be.... just as many "good" RDM's have been "wasted" over the years by GM instructions to replace it, whether or not that was the actual problem with the windows or top!)

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know it couldn't be that SSR will be 20 years old next year!

My upper bushing broke at the post office, had pliers, pull console cover, shifted to get home.

Not as easy when transmission bushing goes.

Dicktator

PS: Postage to mail Shift Cable Repair Kit is now $4.10. Subtract that from the $20.00

1. Lower shift cable
2. Upper shift cable

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts