Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

When I originally installed the comp camp roller rockers on my 03 redline, the tech I talked to said that the original stock springs will work fine and did not require an upgrade.The truck is running strong accept that it seems to hit valve float at 6000 rpm or there abouts.I'm using a crane cams powertuner and am shifting from 1st to 2nd at 5800-6000 rpm.I can feel and hear the ignition break when this occurs but otherwise she runs very strong.
I have talked to quite a few other gear heads and have come to the conclusion that heavier spings are neccessary. I called the good people at comp cams and ordered the new beehive springs for the 1:85-1 roller rocker application. The tech told me that I should have been advised to do the change originally since the new rockers are so much more aggressive at the valve.
It will take me a while to do the swap because of my busted leg needing more time to heal but I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
53wanab: I guess I am not surprised to hear this.

My stock springs worked fine even at 6500 rpm, but I chnaged them to the Z06 springs when I went to the higher lift LS6 cam.

The altered ratio of the rockers you have evidently puts a lot more stress on the springs.

There IS however another possibility: the stock LM4 cam is letting the engine fall right off the top of the power curve (engine is running out of air). Mine did not do that even before I changed the cam, BUT every engine is slightly different, and mine ran out of air shortly thereafter (maybe 6250 or so) when accelerating hard.

If your air cleaner is very dirty, or got wet, that could bring on the symptoms early.

Jim G

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boing- boing

hey jim,

Craig here.I don't think lack of air is an issue here. I'm running a K&N filter and it's nice and clean.It's very possible that the programmer I'm using is allowing the torque management to detune or break ingnition to protect the trans and rear.It is also concievable that valve float is occuring ,a good set of fresh higher performance springs should flush out the culprit.I've already got the comp cams springs and retainers and am looking forward to some play time. While I'm in there, i'm going to do chrome valve covers and coil pack plates.Got to keep her perty! I just love this thing.I'm still in traction for my broken left leg but the rods and pins are coming out next week and i'll be put in a walking cast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts