Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for my first R and see a lot of great info/solutions/upgrades for a number of problems. I am wondering if there is an article that shows which years a certain problem is prone to occur or are all years about the same? Can't seem to locate if already available. Below is a website listing technical service bulletins I found for all years..may already be on the forum.

http://www.chevroletproblems.com/tsbs/SSR/

Wannabe Florida John

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,509 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
To my knowledge, there has never been a recall issued against the SSR for any reason. I’m open to correction (yes, I’m married) on this by anyone who can bring one to the table.

There have been a number of TSBs on the SSR. Tonneau cover (roof compartment lid) hinge changes on very early trucks. Gas tank issues on 03-04 trucks and gas gauge sending unit on 05-06 trucks....... Most of the failures have been corrected by now and the TSBs that are really important are still being covered by GM.

Don’t let the possibility of a problem cause you to hesitate. The SSR family here has seen almost every problem that has cropped up. Ones that are important have been documented and solutions provided. This forum will become your primary source of knowledge on the truck. Welcome to the family.

Mike

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
I agree.

I looked over the lists and found about 20 related to onstar activation in Canadian trucks only. A number of other's were a general process across the board for many vehicles not just the SSR. There were a few related to specifically the SSR but are minor fixes.

Dicktator's onedrive library set has many of the simple fixes for anything you may have a question on.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the positive comments and sage advice...Wannabe really appreciates the forum which is really helping me understand this outstanding truck and the SSR culture.
Sincerely,
Wanna 06 6 speed Florida John

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
To my knowledge, there has never been a recall issued against the SSR for any reason. I’m open to correction (yes, I’m married) on this by anyone who can bring one to the table.

There have been a number of TSBs on the SSR. Tonneau cover (roof compartment lid) hinge changes on very early trucks. Gas tank issues on 03-04 trucks and gas gauge sending unit on 05-06 trucks....... Most of the failures have been corrected by now and the TSBs that are really important are still being covered by GM.

Don’t let the possibility of a problem cause you to hesitate. The SSR family here has seen almost every problem that has cropped up. Ones that are important have been documented and solutions provided. This forum will become your primary source of knowledge on the truck. Welcome to the family.

Mike
Excellently posted Mike and very well stated. I think we all have had some "things" such as Transmission Cable Fix (easily fixed), Cargo area light changed to LED with smaller fuse (easily fixed), Ignition Switch replaced (easily replaced) just to name 3 or 4 items. Thats why I'm advertising my 05 SSR for sale with those items updated or corrected. As you said "Don't let the possibllity of a problem cause you to hesitate" Bob Alexander - tennesseecozydog - "Good lookin' :ssr For Sale

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
I'm in the market for my first R and see a lot of great info/solutions/upgrades for a number of problems. I am wondering if there is an article that shows which years a certain problem is prone to occur or are all years about the same? Can't seem to locate if already available. Below is a website listing technical service bulletins I found for all years..may already be on the forum.

Chevrolet SSR TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | ChevroletProblems.com

Wannabe Florida John
"jf" I can see where you're comin' from., but don't let any of this "scare you off" All mechanical things have to have a "check up and a correction in medicine" every once in a while just like the old body !!! The SSR is one sweet little very unusual and unique vehicle and fun, fun, fun. Go for it ... you got a lotta' guys and gals in Florida that are experts on the SSR and can help you ... IF YOU DO HAVE a problem. tennesseecozydog :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,882 Posts
Jfsteinbauer,
Here are some things to look for when buying. Just in case you didn't know the 03 and 04 have a 5.3 Liter v-8 and automatic trans only. The 05 and 06 had a 6.0 Liter Corvette engine and are more powerful. The 05 and 06 could be had with an automatic trans or a 6 speed manual transmission. Hope this helps you in your HUNT!!!!

1. Is the vehicle still for sale?
2. How long have you had it?
3. What is the mileage on the vehicle?
4. What is the exterior color?
5. How many previous owners?
6. Is it a non smokers car?
7. Does it have a good CarFax report?
8. No accidents, floods, body damage?
9. Everything works good and it runs good with no apparent problems?
10. Was it serviced properly?
11. Good tires?
12. Steers good, doesn't pull?
13. Good brakes?
14. Any extended warranty?
15. No rips or tears in interior?
16. No paint scratches or dents or nicks or chips?
17. Top goes up and down good?
18. Air conditioning, lights, wipers, all work good?
19. No apparent problems with the car, engine, transmission, rear-end, etc.?
20. Does it have a clear title?
21. Kelly Blue Book lists cars as, FAIR, GOOD,VERY GOOD, and EXCELLENT. Which category best describes this vehicle?
22. Does the CarFax have a buy back guarantee if it is not as advertised?
23. Is an extended warranty available?
24. Does it have any upgrades or add ons?
25. Was this vehicle owned previously by a "SSR FANATIC".

What is you very best price for a quick, no trade-in, no hassle deal?

Good luck!!!:yellow:

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Two things for my two cents. I would add to Auggie's list, "is this a Fanatic's truck?" And, concerning Mike's info, I was led to believe that since SSRs are "Halo" vehicles, they are not subject to recall rules. Again, YMMV.

:yellow:
Willie

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
How about contacting the previous owner? If the dealer refuses to give out the information, ask him to call him and see if he will call you.
If that doesn't work, you might be able to get Cash to work his magic to get you that information.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Two things for my two cents. I would add to Auggie's list, "is this a Fanatic's truck?" And, concerning Mike's info, I was lead to believe that since SSRs are "Halo" vehicles, they are not subject to recall rules. Again, YMMV.

Willie
:smile2:
OK, just trading facts here............I'll school you in that you meant to say......
"I was LED" (not lead) to believe.

Now, please school me into what you mean by (Halo) vehicles. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Halo car
noun

A unique automobile designed to draw attention to the brand.

Example
People come to see the halo car and then buy one of the regular models.

Word Origin
Allusion to the vehicle's putting a "halo" over the brand name.

The SSR is generally considered to be a "halo" vehicle.

Willie

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
High

Attention grabber

Low production

Output

Like others said it was designed to grab attention but priced high enough to where the general working class couldn't afford them so they planned a low production number.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Two things for my two cents. I would add to Auggie's list, "is this a Fanatic's truck?" And, concerning Mike's info, I was led to believe that since SSRs are "Halo" vehicles, they are not subject to recall rules. Again, YMMV.

Willie
I don't think that is correct. A HALO vehicle would still be subject to all rules and regs of a road legal vehicle.

If it was a concept or prototype without a proper VIN, the vehicle would not be road legal, so no production rules would apply.

When GM was auctioning a number of its road legal specialty vehicles, they were sold on salvage titles so GM would not bear any responsibility for any issues. Even Charlie's one of two Brickyard truck was sold on a salvage title, and required a lot of due diligence before he could plate it in Mass.

Whenever a manufacturer sells one of their prototypes at auction, they are sold on a scrap title, which would not allow them to be licensed for a public road.

Reactions: WillieMacG
1 - 15 of 15 Posts