Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a list of the problems I have had with my SSR so far. So far not one survey from GM and the dealeracts like this is normal.. I am getting tired of it and just about ready to call my lawyer. What have yall had done?

1- rebuilt the rearend
2- Replaced the entire rearend from rotor to rotor
3- Replaced rearend again from rotor to rotor again
4- replaced driveshaft
5- replaced drive shaft again
6- just got 2 more driveshafts in to try on my truck - Did not fix..ordered 2 more
7- Dealer left the oil filter loose on my truck and oil pressure went to 0. This was discovered after I got home and found oil everywhere. There fix was fresh oil and another filter
8- door handle will not let me out of the driverside
9- back in again for the door handle
10- rattle under truck
11- tonnue will not pop up
12- tonnue crooked
13- weather seal on passenger door pinching
14- fog lamps loose
15- a/c blower motor noise
16- Dash Rattle
17- Roof adjustment
18 - tires needed balencing
19- Center Caps would not stay straight
20- Cooling Fan Quit
21- Tonnue cover was closed with the gate up and bent by dealer
22- Ordered new door handle parts
23- New Bezels on Order now 09-19-05 Fixed
24. Roaring type vibration in steering wheel. A roomm rooom feel ..
25. Door Panel trim will not stay on NEW
26. Roof Seal is leaking at the windshield NEW
27. Capet is loose NEW
28. Cup holder broke NEW

oh yea..it is only 8 mionths old. This is as of 11-04-05

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow hope I don't have those problems. Mine inis the shop right now. Oil leak under the floor on drivers side and THE DRIVESHAFT is being replaced because it makes noise. OH YEA it's 2 days old. motordoctor

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to my dealer the GM rep told them that it is normal to go through 5 diffrent driveshafts to get one that is quiet...

I am ready to give up..I love the truck but this thing is a lemon...

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
That's More Than.....

mine. And I've had mine for about a year and a half.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Mine hasn't had nearly the issues, still got a Tink but it doesn't cause mechanical problems. Window alignment and fan replaced. So far So good!!!

R

·
0 Posts
I have empathy for you. My SSR is 2 months old and I finally took it in for the driveshaft, alternator with squeeling belt at WOT, tailight leakng, rear headliner peeling at rear edge and wheel centers turning. I have never had problems like this with a new car and expect this will remedy the problems. I am disappointed there were any issues, but as long as they fix them I will live, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My dealer has be willing to fix these problems or attempt to but it sure does suck that in my case I have to drop it off the day before they work on it and have to either get the bike out or hitch a ride with someone. It being 90 + degrees and me not riding without a minumum of a leather jacket, gloves, helmet and boots with a spine protector makes it a very hot day.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Reddawgy said:
I have never had problems like this with a new car and expect this will remedy the problems. I am disappointed there were any issues, but as long as they fix them I will live, we'll see.
Have you ever owned a GM car before? :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Boosted,

I had mine in the shop quite often (probably more than 30 days total). They offered me a free rental car a couple of times, but I refused and drove my Z28 instead. Have they offered you a vehicle to drive while your SSR is in the shop?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
looking4_an_ssr said:
Boosted,

I had mine in the shop quite often (probably more than 30 days total). They offered me a free rental car a couple of times, but I refused and drove my Z28 instead. Have they offered you a vehicle to drive while your SSR is in the shop?
No they work it out so it is not there another night. the first night is my fault because I cannot bring it the morning of the scheduled repair. They told me I can only get a rental after it has to stay overnight for a repair. I really do not want a rental either..just my truck fixed so i don't have to keep bringing it back.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Rotten service.....thats the point

As i read back through these threads..........I see a lot of lousy service..........In my experience I see this many times........Service techs that wouldn't make a pimple on a mechanics butt.......With too many of them.....if they didn't read it in a book.....they don't know it...........they have no common sence........and many times they just want to throw parts at a problem.......when they don't really understand what the real problem is..........and this goes for the "GM" trouble shooters also. If you find a dealership with a decent groupe of service techs who know what there doing......you should feel honored and very lucky.......not many around!

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Mostly, mine needs oil changes every 3000 miles - I'm at about 27000 miles now.

I consider the driveshaft tink part of the charm of the truck - haven't even brought it up with the dealer - it's not a mechanical issue. Maybe once I read that a permanent solution has been found I'll deal with it.

Replaced the tonneau hinge mechanism last summer - GM had issues with the design of the hinge system on the first 1250 or so built in 03 - worked great ever since.

Posted early summer about the spontaneous erection my SSR had - the top activated itself and I went from convertible to hardtop while I was rolling through a shopping center parking lot - GM replaced the entire switch panel just in case.

Otherwise - what a ride!!!! :thumbs

·
Registered
97 Posts
no problems

I have had no problems with mine other than what would be considered self inflicted, I let the battery run and screwed up the window trying to open the door. I agree that most of the problems above are pi** poor dealerservice, your rearend problems sound like the tech didn't do his job right the 1st time. Call customer assistance and tell them your problems and maybe they can help you locate a better area dealer who can take care of your problems the 1st time.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the rearend repairs was done via the GM Rep suggestion. they told them to rebuild the rearend first. this did nto fix it. Then they replaced the entire rear-end.. This did not fix it so they tried agin and now it is quite..

As far as the driveshafts goes the GM Rep told my dealer that it could take as many as 5 diffrent ones to get it quite... I do not fault my dealer... I fault GM for making a piece of crap...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Boosted

I had #10, heavy rattle from under truck, for quite some time.
I looked for it almost everyday.
Finally found it. It was one of the front sway bar link bolts.
Once I found it was loose and tightened it all the noise was gone.
Hard to believe that bolt could make all those sounds, but it did.
Give it a check.

Be good to yourself
Skip

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Boosted:

6- just got 2 more driveshafts in to try on my truck - In shop now

You may be shooting for a quieter shaft than you can get on an SSR. It will never be silent. If you have changed to 4.56 gearing, it makes it potentially worse, as the rpm of the driveshaft increases 22%, and GM has not evidently figured out the harmonics, etc for this driveshaft.

7- Dealer left the oil filter loose on my truck and oil pressure went to 0. This was discovered after I got home and found oil everywhere. There fix was fresh oil and another filter

This was a DEALER technician error, not an SSR fault.

8- door handle will not let me out of the driverside
9- back in again for the door handle - In shop now

THis is a known design defect. Not sure if GM has a BETTER replacement part yet or are still just replacing the parts when they break.

11- tonnue will not pop up - In shop now
12- tonnue crooked

I assume you mean the CARGO cover (not the roof cover), and that it won't release far enough to grab hold of to open fully? If so, something is binding. Your comment on the tonneau being crooked verifies that thinking. Usually, this is caused by someone trying to close it when there is an object higher than about 16 inches in height within the cargo bay, or something laying across the sealing surface. That bends the cover. Once bent, it will NEVER close, open, or seal properly. If that has happened, you need it replaced. You may have difficulty proving it is a warrantyable repair.

I assume you mean the DOOR and not the window glass? If so, either the door is out of adjustment as a result of being thrown open too hard and bending a hinge, or the weatherseal somehow got improperly positioned.

If the problem is the door, you may see it as inconsistent gap bewteen the door and the body panels. If so, get the door realigned.

If the weather seal, remove and re-apply correctly.

I believe that I recall you live in Georgia, so freezing of the doors to the weatherseals is rare, BUT if it happened (it DID happen to me once this spring in Georgia!!), the weatehr seal could have gotten ripped loose a bit and then maybe was improerly refastened. Check its position and correct orientation.

14- fog lamps loose - In shop now

How do you know they are "loose"? Notre that the fog lamps will "move" as you drive because the entire lower body panel they are mounted within is flexing, not the foglamps. THis is non-destructive, but someone on this board sells "stablizers" that connect the lower body panel to the vvehicle frame ad elimninates this "bouncing" movement.

15- a/c blower motor noise - In shop now

If you are talking about the noise that occurs on position number 2 fan setting, you are asking for the impossible. That noise is "normal" with the particular Alfa Romeo HVAC control system that GM uses on the SSR. It is a result of the electronics used to create multiple fan speeds from one solid state controlled motor. It cannot be eliminated. Use position 3.

17- Roof adjustment

This is a tricky thing to do right. You might want to get your dealer to have his mechanic call a GM technician who can walk him through it. It apaprently takes a fair bit of experience and patience.

18 - tires needed balencing

HOW do you know the tires need balancing? If you base this on a vibration or shake sympton, be careful, as usually on an SSR that is ore liekly the driveshaft than the tires. I went through that briefly this Spring in Georgia. It turned out that it was NOT the tires, but rather a bad driveshaft YOKE (improper or incomplete finish machining from factory) that tore up 2 tailshaft seals before a patient mechanic replaced it. No problem with either tailshaft seal leakage or highway shake since then.

IF you are for some reason CERTAIN it is the tires:
Was it DELIVERED this way or appeared later? If later, consider possibility that it was caused by rear tire burnouts :)

Your dealer is evidently not reading TSBs. The offiical remedy is to use TWO pieces of double-sided tape inside each center cap to secure it to the wheel against rotation.

Hope this helps.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim this was a list of problems since day one and here is the answers to your statement

Tires out of balance -- This was verified and fixed after 500 miles on the od from the dealer. It came that way from the factory according to them.

6- just got 2 more driveshafts in to try on my truck - In shop now

You may be shooting for a quieter shaft than you can get on an SSR. It will never be silent. If you have changed to 4.56 gearing, it makes it potentially worse, as the rpm of the driveshaft increases 22%, and GM has not evidently figured out the harmonics, etc for this driveshaft

This is per the GM REP... Not me. They said it should not make a tink at all.

11- tonnue will not pop up - In shop now
12- tonnue crooked

I assume you mean the CARGO cover (not the roof cover), and that it won't release far enough to grab hold of to open fully? If so, something is binding. Your comment on the tonneau being crooked verifies that thinking. Usually, this is caused by someone trying to close it when there is an object higher than about 16 inches in height within the cargo bay, or something laying across the sealing surface. That bends the cover. Once bent, it will NEVER close, open, or seal properly. If that has happened, you need it replaced. You may have difficulty proving it is a warrantyable repair

No the bed cover which is called a tonnue cover on any other truck in the world. It sits at an angle on the truck. It is not bowed up but the gaps around the corners are not even. The dealer tried to adjust them straight but said it would not allow the top cover to open up. Instead of replacing it they said that was just the way it was.

I assume you mean the DOOR and not the window glass? If so, either the door is out of adjustment as a result of being thrown open too hard and bending a hinge, or the weatherseal somehow got improperly positioned.

If the problem is the door, you may see it as inconsistent gap bewteen the door and the body panels. If so, get the door realigned.

If the weather seal, remove and re-apply correctly.
No I am talking about the seal at the top of the glass where it meets the roof..
Not to be a buthead but I am not working on this thing for GM.

14- fog lamps loose - In shop now

How do you know they are "loose"? Notre that the fog lamps will "move" as you drive because the entire lower body panel they are mounted within is flexing, not the foglamps. THis is non-destructive, but someone on this board sells "stablizers" that connect the lower body panel to the vvehicle frame ad elimninates this "bouncing" movement

They verified the mounting brackets was loose when I took it in Yesterday.

15- a/c blower motor noise - In shop now

If you are talking about the noise that occurs on position number 2 fan setting, you are asking for the impossible. That noise is "normal" with the particular Alfa Romeo HVAC control system that GM uses on the SSR. It is a result of the electronics used to create multiple fan speeds from one solid state controlled motor. It cannot be eliminated. Use position 3.
Mine made the same sound in all positions. Also it would not cool at Idle so they told me today they replaced the a/c system. What all this intells I do not know as they still have it again for another day.

17- Roof adjustment

This is a tricky thing to do right. You might want to get your dealer to have his mechanic call a GM technician who can walk him through it. It apaprently takes a fair bit of experience and patience
This was done correctly after the 2nd try back in March.

Your dealer is evidently not reading TSBs. The offiical remedy is to use TWO pieces of double-sided tape inside each center cap to secure it to the wheel against rotation.
This was also repaired some time back after I took them info from here.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Glad to hear that some of the problems had in fact been fixed.

If the seal on the WINDOW glass is not good, try re-indexing your windows:

Do the following for each window, one after the other:
1. Use the window button to roll each window all the way down
2. Make sure you hold the button down a fraction of a second AFTER it hits bottom.
3. Use the window button to raise the window FULLY
4. Make sure you hold the button down a fraction of a second after it hits top.

Sometimes, this cures a bad seal.

If it does not, the existing window weather seal needs to be adjusted OR better yet replaced.

It is POSSIBLE that the seals could have been damaged on prior service visits if the battery was disconnected (a normal safety precuaiton before doing mechanical work on a vehicle) without FIRST lowering the windows. If the windows were not first lowered, then opening the doors AFTER disconnecting the battery means no power to drop the window glass, so the window glass gets torn out of the weather seal as the door is pulled open. Good chance of damaging the weather seal.

I noticed in re-readng your posting that you are sometimes ambiguous when describing a problem. For example:

- Not making it clear whether it was the DOOR or the WINDOW that was not sealing correctly

- Not being clear on whether it was the ROOF cover or the CARGO cover that was misaligned.

If I have trouble figuring out what you are saying, assume that the combination of BOTH the service advisor and then the technician, in serial sequence, will be able to make it even MORE ambiguous.

Really clear communication of the problem is at least 50% of the solution on any automotive problem. I dwell on this a bit in Chapter 10 of "The SSR experience."

Jim G

1 - 20 of 44 Posts