·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Finally!

This finally allows owners of 05 and 06 SSrs to do the simple things that owners of 03 and 04s have been able to do for a while - like:

- change the rear axle ratio in the software after physically chnaging from a 3.73 to a 4.56.

- buy and use a microtuner to soup up the performance justa bit, if bigger mods are not in the works (if an owner plans any other phsyical mods, a microtuner is not a good solution)

- alter transmission shift point graphs

Yes!

Jim G

·
Registered
234 Posts
Help me out with this Jim. Does this mean that we can go to our speed shop and they can reprogram our TCM and ECM there instead of having to ship out both computers for tunning? I've got the 4.56 gears but I can't afford to have the vehicle down for a week waiting on the reprogram. Thanks for the help.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Wildcat66: YES, that is EXACTLY what it means. However, there is a catch.

The way this pro level software is sold and licensed, each time it interacts with a specific VIN, it "uses up" one of the licenses that the tuner has purchased from the software company. Those licenses are expensive, because normally they are used NOT to merely tweak one simple field in the PCM programming, but rather to electronically tune a vehicle.

So, no tuner wants to use up a license without charging you that cost plus the cost of his tuning labor.

Practically, this means that an individual SSR owner has two choices:

1. Select a tuning shop that has the software, pay them for the use of one lciesne and their labor, and plan on using them for all electronic changes to their SSR (you only pay for the license ONCE)

or

2. Buy your own license and physical tuning cable (comes as a "kit"), and change the simple fields yourself, and / or let your selected tuner use YOUR software and license to make any changes you require and to do any tuning (takes great skill!! Do not "do at home").

This is all too comlicated to cover fully in a psoting thread. More information on this in my e-book.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JimG - Thanks once again. I cannot stress enough to people interested in tuning that these are professional tuning tools. It would be too easy to mess your SSR up if you start going through the tune and changing parameters that would cause damage to the engine or transmission.

It will benefit you if you have a tuner shop that doesn't have a market to purchase the commercial license for tuning the SSR. You could purchase the individual tuning software and take it to the shop to have your SSR tuned. This way you are charged for the dyno time and tuning time not a share of the software license.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts