Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might not be a commen question. because I can't find it anywhere.
Does anybody out there know the weight of Propane, by the gal. I have a 100 lb tank . It takes 25 gal's of gas. How much is it going to weighs full?
Raider Keith;:silver::banghead

·
BlueStreak
27,171 Posts
this might not be a commen question. because I can't find it anywhere.
Does anybody out there know the weight of Propane, by the gal. I have a 100 lb tank . It takes 25 gal's of gas. How much is it going to weighs full?
Raider Keith;:silver::banghead
Weight of a gallon of propane
Propane weighs about 4.2 pounds per US gallon, at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Propane expands 1.5% per 10 degrees F.

Read more: Answers.com - How much does one gallon of propane weigh

I figures that make your tank weigh about 205. There may be issues about how much you can actually put in the tank due to expansion saftey.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Blue Streak; :right:
I was wondering if I could pick it up ? & I think I can. We'll have to give it a try. I was wondering if my back would take it?
Raider Keith;:silver::right: & thanks again . Happy in Hemet. It is going to get into the 70's this weekend. Just great for the parade of lights boat show in Oceanside this weekend
Raider Keith;:silver::right:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
All (legal) propane tanks (except for commercial use (ie. forklifts etc.)) have an automatic shut off valve which prevents over filling the tank. This has been law since Apr. 2001. :)

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
lifting it up in the truck is one thing (i've done it with my back belt on but it aint no fun)

Lifting it out is much better.

#100 tank will weigh in around 225 including the tank itself. I had two of these tanks I had to fill frequently in the winter before I installed the Home furnace and attached it to the main tank (1000 gallon) for the house.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I spent 10 years selling propane at the wholesale level for an oil and gas producer and 4.537 LB per gallon at 60 degrees F popped into my head. Now I'll spend the rest of the evening wondering if I'm right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts