Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the Pros and Cons are of the different years. I have an '04, but just wondering if the latter two years are better and if so, why? Appreciate any input! Thanks, Dennis

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
There are a lot of differences you won't notice or care about until making repairs and that's just a matter of having the right information which is all available here. The things you will notice/care about is engine size and 05/06 availability of a 6 speed stick.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I have an 04 and what I know that are different of course the engine being the biggest thing. 03-04 has the 5.3 05-06 has the 6.0, the six speed was not available in the 03-04s. The automatics in the 05-06 was changed from a 4l60 to the 4l65. And there were some color differences in years as well. Now for the little things that can be changed the hoods on the 03-04 did not have the lift struts but can be added easily enough. The air cleaner housing has foam around the inlet on the 05-06. The cup holders were changed how they fit on the console between the two groups. Early group had the mount going up and down later group went front to back. The earlier trucks had different wiper arms when you needed to replace them you have to get blade refills over replacing the arm assembly like on the later trucks. The gauge package on the center console is different gauges between the two groups. Those are the big ones I know of. I think there are some differences in the codes for the trim options like the chrome levels on the trucks. Oh and the door panels on the later group had room to get your hands down to use the seat switches easier. There are some wiring differences on some of the parts also that were group specific.
I am sure there are more things and others will be along to fill in what all I missed.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a lot of differences you won't notice or care about until making repairs and that's just a matter of having the right information which is all available here. The things you will notice/care about is engine size and 05/06 availability of a 6 speed stick.
Thank You.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 04 and what I know that are different of course the engine being the biggest thing. 03-04 has the 5.3 05-06 has the 6.0, the six speed was not available in the 03-04s. The automatics in the 05-06 was changed from a 4l60 to the 4l65. And there were some color differences in years as well. Now for the little things that can be changed the hoods on the 03-04 did not have the lift struts but can be added easily enough. The air cleaner housing has foam around the inlet on the 05-06. The cup holders were changed how they fit on the console between the two groups. Early group had the mount going up and down later group went front to back. The earlier trucks had different wiper arms when you needed to replace them you have to get blade refills over replacing the arm assembly like on the later trucks. The gauge package on the center console is different gauges between the two groups. Those are the big ones I know of. I think there are some differences in the codes for the trim options like the chrome levels on the trucks. Oh and the door panels on the later group had room to get your hands down to use the seat switches easier. There are some wiring differences on some of the parts also that were group specific.
I am sure there are more things and others will be along to fill in what all I missed.
Thank you very much.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Just be sure to stay away from the '06 FPR (Factory Part Reject) trucks. They were assembled from all the leftover and reject parts that were still on the shelves when they were fixin' to stop SSR production and close down LCC. >:):surprise:>:)

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
Just be sure to stay away from the '06 FPR (Factory Part Reject) trucks. They were assembled from all the leftover and reject parts that were still on the shelves when they were fixin' to stop SSR production and close down LCC. >:):surprise:>:)
:pokey:

Someone who is new to Fanatics might not realize you are a harmless pot stirrer and take you seriously.

My FPR came with all required parts except for the engine cover insert, and has worked perfectly from day one.

I think you still harbor some resentment for missing out on one.:bwekk:

Besides, you are cutting into Bruce's schtix. Dissing FPRs is usually his domain.:bwekk:

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,363 Posts
===============================================

Now now, Rat-Gary......no need for lashing out like that!! -- :surprise:

images-2.jpeg

★★★ -- After all, you only missed by one year!! -- :glol :glol

===============
David :black:
images-10.jpeg

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
DenSu , As others have stated engine size , 6 spd and chrome options on 05-06 are major the differences .
That being said your wallet and purpose of use will override the differences .
If your looking to save money and have a nice cruiser ,
Then 03-04 is good value ,if your looking for a garage queen and money no object ,go for a FPR two tone 6spd .
Whatever you end up with, welcome and enjoy the Permagrin . Dave

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,588 Posts
THIS IS THE VERY REASON I HAVE TO WEAR A DEPENDS DIAPER before reading Mr. Gary's post's!!!:hyper::hyper: I pee'd myself laughing at this one...this takes the cake:glol:glol:glol:glol:glol:glol:glol I believe he was also the first man to call Ricochet Trucks Primer~:nep: The wife heard me howling in the office and she read it, and she too had to strap on the Depends!:cheer:
I think I love the SSR folks about as much as I do driving mine! Both Permagrin....or as we say it in Canader, "wipe that $#%t eating grin off your face"!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts