Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When upgrading our headlights with expensive aftermarket set, we really hope that it will last for a long time. But as any other product, it requires careful handling and protection. WeatherTech has a resolution for you!

Their LampGuard Headlight Covers secure your headlamps, fog lamps, turn indicators and parking lights from scratching, cracking and pitting. Made from incredibly tough 40 mil. thick, double-polished urethane material, optically clear with built-in UV inhibitors they are backed with 3-year warranty.

To select it for your vehicle click here: WeatherTech® - LampGard Headlight Covers

Here is a presentation video, showing how it actually works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bkU3JEQUEg

What do you think about this product?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,016 Posts
I am curious....if the lens currently has a "weathered" look, in other words it has a slight yellowing, would this film make the lens look "clear" again?
Once they start fading or yellowing the UV coating has deteriorated and it's going to take a little work to get them nice again. I have tried a few things and read a lot about it. The only thing I have found as a long term solution is to use some fine sandpaper to clean them, then use some plastic adhesion promoter, then some clear automotive paint.

I used to have to wipe down the headlights on the wifes Honda every 2-3 months with plastic cleaner, after I shot some paint on them they have held like new for over 2 years.

Once you did the clear, putting on the film would help prolong the fresh look.

·
Vendor
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dragon2U and LITEMUP, you're absolutely right. These headlight covers won't solve already existing problem with yellowing and hazing, you will need to use other methods to do this. But then, with the film applied on your lenses, they will definitely make them look clear and fresh for a long time.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,016 Posts
I have polished mine and they look ok....just not as bright looking when parked next to say a new car. Maybe I am asking too much from a simple solution...ya think?
Well, if the lens is in good condition then the film will be a good idea to keep them clean and protect them.

If the light is yellowish or not as bright as you would like then it might be time for either a new set of OEM bulbs or a set of new ones with a different color output (whiter). On mine I have one bulb that looks white and one that is yellowish when on, I have been meaning to swap them out with new ones, just have not gotten off my butt to do it yet.

There are many discussions on here that have to do with new bulbs. Most come from Sylvania, many here have gone with the Silverstar ZXE or Ultra models. Be aware, the brighter and whiter the look the less longevity they have compared to OEM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts